What's new

Jackie Chan's The Myth (1 Viewer)

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Has anyone picked this up yet? I have the 2 disc version and I don't know if I am crazy but it seems (to me) that in every scene with Jackie as General Meng the picture looks stretched out. There will be a shot of Jackie followed by a shot of someone else that looks fine but if Jackie is in the scene it looks stretched. Anyone else notice this? I have a new Sony NS50p.

--Ian

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
I picked up the 3-disc DTS version last year, but haven't gotten around to viewing it as yet; if I do this weekend, I'll post my impressions next week.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
^

Did you get a chance to watch it yet? I will see if I can grab some screenshots to compare.

--Ian

Yes, I noticed that very effect and found it a bit hard to get used to. I have the 3-disc DTS version and there are certain scenes - all focusing on the General Meng character - where the film appears squeezed vertically. It's also mentioned in the DVDBeaver review of the two-disc set. It must have been a stylistic choice on Stanley Tong's part.
I would say it's an enjoyable film, or rather two very different enjoyable films crammed together. :)

Tin-Lun Lau

Stunt Coordinator
wow...i haven't been to this forum for a long time....
anyway, i am the official commentary translator for this DVD release and correct me if i am wrong but Stanley Tong stated that he did this out of artistic choice because these ancient era scenes are "fantasy" according to Jack the archeologist's dreams.

yes, i know...some will thank me for translating the commentary but to be honest, i wasn't too satisfied with the final product of the commentary. everything was done in a rush and i never had time to check and approve the translations. thankfully, "A Chinese Tall Story" provided me a much better time for this.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
^ --- ^

Thanks for the info. I rarely listen to commentary tracks or read them in this case. It seems to be a bizarre way of differentiating the different periods. Couldn't he have used a different color scheme or anything else that didn't make the disc look defective. Maybe on the big screen it looked alright but on a 32inch screen it was distracting.

--Ian

Tin-Lun Lau

Stunt Coordinator
when i saw it on the big screen, i didn't seem to notice the stretching that much. i thought i was seeing things. i think it's more noticeable when u watch it on TV.

btw, "A Chinese Tall Story" is now on DVD. I also worked on that and provided translations for Jeff Lau's commentary. it's a shame that the other commentary wasn't provided with english subs. i was told that it owuld be translated but i guess my contact in Joy Sales didn't have time to do it even if I did offer to translate it.

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
Good to know that was on purpose even though I don't agree with the artistic choice. When I was watching it I thought Jackie looked stretched vertically because of that narrow helmet he was wearing. I still enjoyed the movie though and actually think its his best since Drunken II, imho.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Thanks for thread crapping and not even mentioning the DVD!:rolleyes

I'm debating on buying the Limited Avant-Garde Edition for only $16.03 at DDDHouse.com. I don't need a fancy shmancy set because I don't have the free space for it.
Tin! I'm RaynMan over at the Asian DVD Guide Forums.
I'm not even going to bother making a Joy Sales/Fortune Star thread on this site since hardly anyone would care.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks