Weekly RoundUp 10-30-2007 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Weekly RoundUp

The Features

– Spider-Man 3 – 2007

– The Three Stooges

– Preston Foster & Barbara Stanwyck (Annie Oakley – 1935)

– Elisha Cuthbert (Captivity – 2007)

– Don Cheadle (Talk to Me – 2007)

The Prices

SD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoAngel: Collector’s Set$97.99$99.99$129.99 - - Annie Oakley$14.99$14.99$15.99 - - Avatar: Last Airbender Book 3 Vol. 1$14.49$9.99$15.99 - - Barbara Stanwyck Signature Collection$34.99$49.99$39.99 - - Benny Hill – Megaset: (’69-’89)$112.49$109.99$129.99 - - Bob Dylan: Live @ Newport (’63-’65)$11.99$11.99$9.99 - - **Captivity (R & NR)$21.69$17.99$19.99 - - CSI – Miami: Season 5$45.49$44.99$49.99 - $44.99Day Watch (NR)$19.99$16.99$19.99 - - East Side, West Side$14.99$14.99$15.99 - - El Cantante$19.59$19.99$19.99$15.99 - Executive Suite$14.99$14.99$15.99 - - Everybody/Raymond: Comp. Series$187.99$149.99$229.99 - - Family Affair: Season 4$29.99$34.99$34.99 - - Family Guy: Freakin’ Party Pack$104.99$99.99$129.99$99.99$99.99In the Land of Women$19.99$19.99$19.99$19.99 - The Initiation of Sarah$17.19$17.99$17.99 - - Jackie Chan’s The Myth$18.69$19.99$19.99 - - License to Wed$19.99$17.99$19.99$16.99 - Looney Tunes Spotlight Coll: Vol. 5$19.99$19.99$19.99 - - Looney Tunes Golden Coll: Vol. 5$45.49$44.99$59.99 - - Magnum PI: Season 7$34.99$34.99$39.99 - $33.99Miami Ink: Season 1$26.19 - $29.99 - - My Reputation$14.99$14.99$15.99 - - My So-Called Life: Complete Coll.$48.99$44.99$59.99 - - MST3k: Volume 12$44.99$49.99$49.99 - - October Road: Season 1$19.99$24.99$19.99 - - Outer Limits: Volume 3$22.49$24.99$19.99 - - Queen: Rock Montreal/Live Aid$13.95$11.99$15.99 - - Scrubs: Season 6$27.99$27.99$27.99$27.99$27.99Sergeant Preston: Complete Collection$55.99$89.99$69.99 - - Shaggy/Scooby-Doo Get a Clue: V1$11.19$12.99$12.99 - - Spider-Man 3 (1-disc)$15.99$14.99$14.99$15.99 - Spider-Man 3 (1-disc + CD) (CC only) - - $19.99 - - Spider-Man 3 SE (2-disc)$22.99$24.99$22.99 - $22.89Spider-Man 3 DE (3-disc) (Target only) - - - $22.99 - Spider-Man: The Trilogy$25.99$25.99$25.99$27.99$25.79**Talk to Me$19.99$19.99$19.99 - - The Three Stooges Collection (’34-’36)$16.99$19.99$19.99 - - To Please a Lady/Jeopardy$14.99$14.99$15.99 - - Twin Peaks: Definitive Gold Box Ed.$64.99$99.99$99.99 - - The Wendell Baker Story$19.59$14.99$19.99 - - Whiskey School$22.49$24.99$19.99 - -

HD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoFace/Off CE$20.95$24.99$36.99 - - License to Wed$27.95$34.99$39.99 - - Talk to Me$27.95$29.99$39.98 - -

BLU-RAY TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoLicense to Wed$23.95$29.99$34.00 - - The Polar Express$19.95$24.99$28.99 - - Spider-Man 3$29.95$28.99$29.99$29.99 - Spider-Man Trilogy$64.95$60.99$79.99$69.99 -

(CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

(MoH) before a title = New release in the Masters of Horror Collection.

Individual titles included in box sets listed above:

Barbara Stanwyck Signature Collection: Annie Oakley; East Side, West Side; Executive Suite; Jeopardy; My Reputation; To Please a Lady.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 - Volume 12: The Rebel Set; Secret Agent, Super Agent; The Starfighters; PARTS: The Clonus Horror.

Spider-Man Trilogy (SD-DVD & Blu-ray): Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3.

The Disclaimer Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

"LP" in the RoundUp table means a store’s Sunday flyer says "Low Price". That means I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, as always, Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

The Specials

**BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! Talk to Me is available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one! Captivity is available in both RATED and UNRATED versions...get the one that’s right for you!

--At Best Buy get a FREE SPIDER-MAN MASK, instantly, when you buy either the 1-disc or 2-disc versions of Spider-Man 3. Minimum 50 per store.

--Plus, BB still has those FREE SPIDER-MAN 3 TRICK-OR-TREAT BAGS, instantly, when you purchase ANY DVD or CD or videogame.

--And, for gamers, BB has a FREE $10 GIFT CARD with the purchase of ANY Spider-Man 3 DVD AND Spider-Man 3 videogame. Gift card good towards future purchase. On-line offer may vary.

--And, still on the Spidey theme…buy ANY version of Spider-Man 3 on DVD and get ANY ONE of a long list of movies for just $5. There are about three dozen titles shown in the BB flyer for this deal. Among them are Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2.

--Best Buy has a $5 instant savings if you buy BOTH License to Wed ($17.99) AND In the Land of Women ($19.99) on DVD.

--Also @ BB, if you buy Scrubs: Season 6, you can get ANY ONE of Seasons 1-5 of Scrubs for just $19.99. Regularly priced $35.99 apiece.

--Best Buy has a list of about 16 Masters of Horror and After Dark Horrorfest titles on sale for just $4.99.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:Best Buy has a number of DVDs listed @ $9.99.

--Circuit City has an EXCLUSIVE PACKAGE OF THE SPIDER-MAN 3 (1-DISC) PLUS THE FULL-LENGTH SOUNDTRACK CD for $19.99 On-pack. CD containing music from and inspired by Spider-Man 3.

--@ Circuit City, SAVE $10 INSTANTLY, when you buy Scrubs: Season 6 on DVD AND any other season of Scrubs. In-store only. Must be purchased on same receipt.

--Circuit city also has FREE MOVIE MONEY to see “Lions for Lambs”. Value = $7.50. In theaters 11-9-2007. Movie Cash available in United Artists collections called “CINEMA GREATS”

Collection 1: Fistful of Dollars, Dr. No, The Magnificent Seven, The Pink Panther.
Collection 2: The Great Escape, Rocky, West Side Story, The Thomas Crown Affair.
Collection 3: 12 Angry Men, A Bridge Too Far, Judgment at Nuremberg, Paths of Glory.
Collection 4 (CC Exclusive): In the Heat of the Night, The Manchurian Candidate, The Alamo, Birdman From Alcatraz.

The Cinema Greats Collections are just $19.99 apiece (compared to $35.99 on Amazon).

--Circuit City Odds and Ends: Circuit City has a list of DVDs for sale @ 2/$10.

--Target has an EXCLUSIVE DELUXE EDITION OF SPIDER-MAN 3 available at its stores. ONLY AT TARGET! Deluxe 3-disc DVD set with EXCLSUIVE COVER ARTWORK, COLLECTIBLE MOVIE PRODUCTION NOTEBOOK, and BONUS DISC with winners from the Target “Spin your own webisode” contest and more!

--Target Odds and Ends: None to report this week.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City on sale DVD items:

The Myth $19.99

$19.99 each:
Meet the Robinsons
Mr. Brooks
Hostel: Part II
Transformers

2 for $10:
Mercenary for Justice
The Beach
Marked for Death
High Crimes
Traffic
Don't Say a Word
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Congo
Ronin
A Low Down Dirty Shame
Runaway Jury
Fear
The Hurricane
Young Frankenstein
Derailed
The Mothman Prophicies
From Hell
The Accidental Spy
The Good Son
Cast Away
Cheech & Chong's Next Movie
Lionheart
Invasion U.S.A.
Cabin Fever
Phantasm IV
Miller's Crossing
Monster's Ball
Crooklyn

$6.99 each:
Bad Boys II
Baby Boy
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Snatch
Stripes
A Knights Tale
Rudy
Big Daddy
Easy Rider
Air Force One
Donnie Brasco
Wild Things
Augustus
Cruel Intentions
Layer Cake
The Professional
The Pink Panther
The Fifth Element
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Lawrence of Arabia
Labyrinth
Sense & Sensibility
Finding Forrester
Radio
Spider-Man: The New Animated Series: The Mutant Menace

$8.99 each:
Stomp the Yard
Rocky Balboa
Open Season
The Holiday
Blood & Chocolate
Final Fantasy
Talladega Nights
Click
RV
The Pursuit of Happyness
Stranger than Fiction
Little Man
Ghostbusters 1 & 2
CrossOver
Gridiron Gang
Meatballs
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Underworld
Facing Giants

-------

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer $14.99

The Handell Baker Story $14.99
Knocked Up: Unrated $14.99

$9.99 each ($5 when purchased with any edition of Spider-man 3):
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
X-Men
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Equilibrium
The Terminator
Cruel Intentions
Armageddon
Shaun of the Dead
Memento
Labyrinth
Friday Night Lights
The Doors
Bad Boys II
Something's Gotta Give
The Count of Monte Cristo
S.W.A.T.
The Jerk: 26th Anniversary Edition
Into the Blue
Tears of the Sun
The Big Lebowski
The Day After Tomorrow
Snatch
X2
Hitch
Alien vs. Predator
Donnie Brasco
War of the Worlds
Mission: Impossible
White Chicks
Men in Black
Black Hawk Down
The Sixth Sense
Underworld
Underworld 2

Danielle Steel's Safe Harbour $14.99
The Sopranos Season 6, Part 2 $59.99

$14.99 each:
Host
Vacancy
Premonition

$4.99 each:
Masters of Horror & After Dark Horrorfest titles

$9.99 each:
Kill Bill: Volume 1
Kill Bill: Volume 2
Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Trainspotting
Clerks
Amelie
City of God
Chocolat
Chicago
Chasing Amy
Kinky Boots
Proof
An Unfinished Life
The Great Raid

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

No catalogue titles listed

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Another massive week for me:

Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume Five
My So Called Life: Season One (don't laugh, it's a good show)
Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection: Volume Twelve
Twin Peaks: Seasons One and Two

Thanks for the prices! :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Patrick that list of movies you have marked at $9.99 @ Best Buy (Spider-Man thru Underworld 2) is the list that people can choose from and pay just $5 IF they purchase any DVD edition of Spider-Man 3.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the roundup. I'll be getting Spidey3 3 disc special at Target. Only other purchase is Looney Gold 5 (from Buy.com $44.99 minus $10 Google checkout + free ship).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
@#$@ this spider-man compulsion i have.

i already have the br set shipping from family video $55.XX
i will also need to get the target set.
and will have to get both masks from BB.

arrgh.

i might have to hold on the looneys for a bit/

dont forget the B&N.com 50% off for members online coupon for nearly anything.

the spidey blu set is under $43 with that.

"Only other purchase is Looney Gold 5 (from Buy.com $44.99 minus $10 Google checkout + free ship)"
wow forgot about that.
good idea.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for the Roundup, guys.

All I'm picking up this week is the Twin Peaks set. I'll get Looney Tunes Vol. 5 and, maybe, My So-Called Life down the road.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Scott: What are the particulars about that Twin Peaks set? Anything new?

I'm one of those guys who really likes Eraserhead. Like The Straight Story, too. Blue Velvet was interesting, but kinda over-the-top.

I have never seen Twin Peaks. :eek: I know, I know. So, I guess my question is...do ya suppose I should give it a try. The set is kinda expensive, though...and I doubt my wife would like it. She doesn't really like off-beat or spooky stuff.

Shane Dodson

Stunt Coordinator
The Spidey Trilogy for me, and...

At LONG last...Columbia is doing RIGHT by the Three Stooges and releasing volumes of shorts in SEQUENTIAL ORDER. I will DEFINATELY be picking up this first set and I encourage every Stooge fan (whether hardcore or causal) to BUY THIS SET.

We need to send a strong message to Columbia to KEEP PRODUCING THESE SETS. And that price...WOW.

If you're reading this, Columbia...THANK YOU.

Better late than never.

Regards,

- SD

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for the RoundUp, guys!

I ordered Twin Peaks from Amazon a while ago since I had a gift card I needed to use and am I ever glad I did. Those B&M prices are "el stinko!" $99.99? Who is BB and CC kidding?? The list price on this set is $109.98! I wasn't sure how Amazon's $64.99 pre-order price would stack up against the others, but since I had a $25 gift card, I figured $39.99 shipped would be hard to beat. After seeing these B&M prices though, it looks like I got the deal of the year!

The only B&M purchase for me this week will be the Spidey 3, 3-disc set at Target.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
COSTCO generally sells those "signature collection" sets so I'll check in to see whether they will stock the Barbara S. set next week.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Wow, amazon has the stooges set for only 16.99 !!!!!! I was going to wait till Christmas , but at that price, I went ahead and ordered mine now! Eventually by the end of the year, ill get looney tunes volume 5, and my so called life sets.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not Scott but check out the site that Paramount started for the DVD. http://www.greetingsfromtwinpeaks.com/
The set sounds really nice (even the nitpicking hardcore fans seem to only be harping on the small number of deleted scenes).

As much as I love Twin Peaks, I'd never tell anyone to drop $65 on something they'd never seen. I'd whole heartedly recommend a rental though.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor

Wow, never seen TP?!

If you liked Blue Velvet, then TP should not be that hard to choke down. The first season is amazing, and in the context of early 90's TV, it was the most revolutionary thing to come along. You can still see elements from it in today's shows for quirkiness if nothing else. It may not bode well for Mrs. Frezon as it has spookiness and off-beat in spades.

However...as good as the first season is, the second doesn't quite live up to it. During the shows hiatus between the two seasons it was almost if all the press made the show to self aware of itself. Plots wander around with no real purpose and much of the show became weird for weird sake. Also, they stretched out the mystery from the first season too long for the J6P viewers making it even tougher to attract new viewers. If I had to watch it again (which I really hope to with this new set), I think it will work better.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Mike, I echo Travis's sentiments. I'd rent the pilot and go from there if you like it. IMO, this is one of the best pilots ever, right up there with LOST and other standout efforts.

As far as what the show is like, that is a tough one. In many ways, it is not like anything else you've seen on TV, yet I constantly see little nods to Twin Peaks in many of today's popular serialized dramas.

I think the overall tone of the first season (in particular) of Desperate Housewives very often hearkens back to Twin Peaks. The Susan stuff is much broader than anything in Peaks, but at its best, Peaks could shift from "dark" to "laugh out loud funny." And Peaks did it decades before Housewives.

Even Ugly Betty gives the occasional nod to Twin Peaks. Betty's father's obsession with the "story" that he watches all the time on TV is straight out of Twin Peaks.

Stylistically in some respects, you can say that Twin Peaks is similar to Blue Velvet. BUT, it is way more accessible... and, in a good way, IMO. Yes, there is a murder mystery that is central to the storyline, but it seems to me that having to tell their story in the "restrictive" environment of television forced Lynch and Frost to take what they know best and reinvent the formula for network television, and forever change the landscape of primetime TV in the process.

The writing and directing shifts from unbelievably good to "uh oh" on occasion. But, the performances are always stellar. And, along the way, you'll see the likes of David Duchovny, Heather Graham, Miguel Ferrer, Billy Zane, Russ Tamblyn, Clarence Williams III, and David Lynch himself, all in recurring guest star roles.

In the end, it is fair to call Twin Peaks a noble failure. The second season is uneven at best, and that is being kind. But, when Twin Peaks is on its game (and Lynch and Frost are actively involved) it is compelling, stylish television of the highest order.

Give Twin Peaks a try. You'll be happy you did.

Cheers,

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Just a 'heads up' for anyone looking to get the Twin Peaks box set at a good price... The Barnes & Noble "member" price is $71.98. If you use the "50% Off One Item" coupon code posted here, that brings your total cost down to $36. Even if you don't have one and spring for the $25 annual membership, you're looking at $61. That is still less than any place else I have found.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Is there going to be a lot of spoiler-ish stuff in there? I'd like to read your review of it, but since it's a blind-buy for me I'd obviously like to go into the show spoiler-free.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

i thought he was watching the origional south america version with
salma hayek and it was a nod to that show.

Mike did you say you like Eraserhead but think blue velvet is over the top.

i love the pilot of Peaks back when it first aired.
i didnt have a vcr at the time and had to get my mom to record it for me.
we watched it and she didnt know what to make of it.
i loved it.

i would buy the gold set if i didnt despise the second season as much as i do.

i felt it was just stringing along and was weird just to be weird.
i really beleived lynch was just throwing as much in there as he coould just to see how far he could go until people finally started to question what was the point of it all.

almost as if it was an experiment or a practical joke by lynch.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
With regards to Twin Peaks, I'll never understand the hatred for the second season. It's certainly not as good as the first season but they also had nearly triple the number of episodes than the first season had and they had to begin an entirely new central story so, of course, there's going to be some slow episodes. There was great stuff in S2 such as the resolution of who killed Laura Palmer (which was solved less than halfway through the season) and the Windom Earle storyline were both excellent in my opinion. Yeah, the Ben Horne Civil War story and the James on the road storyline are both lousy but that's only parts of about 4 or 5 episodes out of 22 episodes in the season.
All in all, most shows would pray to have a season as bad as Twin Peaks' second year. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks