What's new

I've got to avoid HTF's After Hours (for health reasons) (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Personally, it doesn't matter one bit what his skin-color or nationality is. I find it interesting that many people think it is important what skin-color a writer/director/musician is before giving them a try.
My sentiments, exactly. In no way was I inferring that his qualifications were of a lesser standing since he's not asian. My interest lies with the pedigree of his expertise - I usually find fascinating the route in which those people take to excel in a field that is non-native to their original comfort zone. Fish out of water stories...very educational and inspiring.
I understand your derision - I am a racing fanatic. I face suprise and suspect whenever I tell anyone I'm interested and an expert fan of NASCAR. Their normal reaction is questioning - 'but you're oriental, not a southern redneck. What do you know about NASCAR?' (No offense to southern rednecks, but the truth can be raw in all of its nekkidness. ;) )
Another humorous anectode - out of high school, I wanted to challenge myself by choosing the path less trodden. I found an ad in the paper looking for truck drivers for a crop dusting outfit, which is located in the rural part of Wisconsin.
The first interview was conducted over the phone. The owner apparently liked what he heard and invited me in for a face-to-face interview.
Upon my arrival to the main office (I wanted to turn back immediately - I got an uneasy feeling with all of the tumbleweed, dust devils (small, dirt tornadoes), and too many F-250's), I was given a look over by the boss. A look of surpise encroached over his face, and then he bluntly exclaimed, 'We thought you was Anglo?!!'
Needless to say, to make a long story short,.......
I got the job. It proved to be the some of the most rewarding and enjoyable several years of my life. More importantly, it probably smashed more of my stereotypes and attitudes versus theirs. And boy, did they have theirs...but after toil and turmoil, they turned out to be some of the best friends I ever had.
Anyway,...I'll try and find a new copy in the bookstores. Otherwise, the used copy is only a couple of bucks. Thanks.

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
Its people like her that makes me like animals better than people! while reading that story I felt very sick to my stomach. Sure I get mad at people, sometimes so mad I would like to hit or hurt them, but to the point of letting them suffer to death from something i did to them; NEVER!

just another reason to drop what I'm doing and become a hermit in the mountians somewhere.

Mike

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
For all these acts of evil we read about, there are many more good things done. Charitable works, acts of altruism, etc, go on all the time, and far outweigh the bad. But the media either doesn't report them or sidelines them. In part this is due to pandering to our apparent need to read about misery happening to other people, but also it's rational to want to know what threatens the status quo, not what upholds it.

I think another thing we should be grateful for is that we are free to express our revulsion in public without fear of a visit from secret police wanting to know why we are criticising the state's perfect justice system.

No, I'm not saying that everything is right with the world - just that the fact that the overwhelming majority of people are revolted by such tales indicates that evil acts are the exception that proves the rule.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
For all these acts of evil we read about, there are many more good things done. Charitable works, acts of altruism, etc, go on all the time, and far outweigh the bad. But the media either doesn't report them or sidelines them.
This is especially evident when reporting on third world countries; they're all apparently involved in perpetual civil wars. Ireland also falls under the scope of this type of reporting, more often than not.

An old professor of mine was a Rwandan refugee who was heavily involved in their broadcast media before he was forced to flee. His story of escape, and his inability to get any positive news from the media outlets in this country, were truly heartbreaking and eye-opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks