What's new

I've got a new dog! (2 Viewers)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My dog Baxter died a few weeks ago, and it has been pretty rough for me. He was my hiking buddy, a foodie, and gentle, timid, lovable dog always there for me. I'm wondering if I'll get a new dog. Rationalizing it in my head 1 week of pain, and a emptiness thereafter, over 12 years of happiness.

Here he was at two years old in 2013
IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My dog Baxter died a few weeks ago, and it has been pretty rough for me. He was my hiking buddy, a foodie, and gentle, timid, lovable dog always there for me. I'm wondering if I'll get a new dog. Rationalizing it in my head 1 week of pain, and a emptiness thereafter, over 12 years of happiness.

I've always like this, about the loss of an animal friend, and what they might want you to do to help another. I think Mike Frezon posted this somewhere on the forum (at least that's where I first saw it).

1663341111056.jpeg

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

Sorry for your loss Bryan

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Bryan I am 76, I’ve had cats most of my adult life and now lately, I’ve added dogs. I’ve said goodbye to my babies too many times to count. That has never stopped me from adopting another. The next pet is not a replacement but a successor. That pet will bring it’s own personality and charm to your relationship. Please adopt again.

We have often adopted cats who had no other chance had we passed them by. Usually because they were older. Yeah, they’ll leave us quicker than a kitten will, but there’s the personal reward that an older pet gives you. They know they just got a very lucky break.

Whether young or old, please adopt again. There’s room in your heart for another.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
but there’s the personal reward that an older pet gives you. They know they just got a very lucky break.
That's it. That's why Peg and I take in the senior dogs who were given up for many various different reasons. They deserve better and there is no better companion than one who appreciates the kind of care you can give. Cases in point:

Ernie: who we adopted 5 1/2 years ago (when he was 8 1/2) needed cancer surgery and has now lived longer than any Golden we've ever had.

full

full

And then there's Sophie (far left)...who just joined us. The vet thinks she's 8 or 9. A couple weeks ago she was kept in a cage at an Amish puppy mill. Yesterday she was eating "pooch cake" at Ernie's birthday party! :D

full

But, Bryan, the thing for you to do now is look at those pictures of Baxter...miss him...cry a little and appreciate all that the two of you shared. The bond that connects the two of you will never break. But it can be shared. God bless.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Hi Mike,

Glad you are well, and Happy Easter to you and yours too.

May I present to you, Layla, the latest addition to our family...

Nine weeks old and settling in beautifully, though she’s had a few run-ins with our adopted cat, Giddy (named after Gideon of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers).

View attachment 57860

Layla, you’ve got me on my knees...

An update on Layla at 3.5 yrs.

C190D03A-A8D4-4291-A8C5-C493AE44529F.jpeg
507B56BC-3A01-4B14-8E93-57EEE5B5F680.jpeg

Peter Keller

Agent
Real Name
Peter
A Pet's Ten Commandments ~

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
IMG_20220911_161909909~3.jpg

This is Rosie. We rescued her from neglect/abuse a year and a half ago when she was 1. There was a "free dog to good home" post on a local Facebook page and when we went to see her their were 3 other dogs and four cats, as well as birds, lizards, scorpions and tarantulas. The people were animal hoarders. She was very shy, but let us pet her while my wife and the female owner talked. When the male entered the room, Rosie would cower and hide under a chair.

She had a huge scab on the top of her head, had a horrible looking lions mane sort of halfway attempt at a haircut, barely weighed 15 pounds, and her name was "Acid." There was no decision to be made, we had to get her out of there, and left with her that day.

Today she weighs a healthy 27 pounds and is so happy and loveable. She rarely leaves my wife's side except to go run around our back yard. She warmed up to me real quick and loves to be petted and played with.

She does still have a little residual trauma as she won't eat from her bowl if anyone is within 5 feet of her. But other than that, she is perfect.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.
This is so important, and you as the pet parent, will, in the long run, feel better knowing you walked that extra mile with your baby.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What a lovely past few posts!

Gavin and Ramin: congrats on your newfound best friends. Layla and Rosie are very lucky dogs! :D

And Peter, there are so many things to like in your list. Thank you for sharing it here.

Here's my update! :D Sophie is (literally) fitting in quite well between her two brothers Pete (left) and Ernie (right). All are getting along famously.

full

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Bryan, I'm sorry you lost Baxter. Those pictures say it all. He wanted to be as close to you as possible throughout. Such a great feeling to be loved so much. Mine do that too. Bethany is constantly on my heels smiling at me. Bishop wants to beat me to every place he thinks I'm going. Bucky is jealous because of all that. lol

Bucky gets a kiss!

Bucky's first trick is "Hey!"... second trick will be high-five. (it's the same really...anyway...) Third trick involves plates rotating on the tip of that. It's a little more difficult but he'll do it soon I know...
2022 1110 Bucky 2.jpg

Somebody has a girlfriend!!! It's Bucky (aka Muppet Boy) and his sweetie Bethany!
2022 1110 Bucky Bethany 1.jpg

Kayla is... FAT FROSTED FACED NINJA WITH AN ATTITUDE!
2022 1110 kayla 2.jpg

Bishop (aka Bishee) munching on a pine cone he brought home from the park.
2022 1110 Bishop 2.jpg

Gimme a bite!! (I didn't think so)
2022 1110 Bishop 1.jpg

Peter Keller

Agent
Real Name
Peter
I am a Forever Dog, not an “until” dog ~

I’m not an “until you get bored” dog.

I’m not an “until you find a girlfriend” dog.

I’m not an “until you have a baby” dog.

I’m not an “until you have to move” dog.

I’m not an “until you have not time” dog.

I’m not an “until I get old” dog.

I’m a Forever Dog.

If you can’t give me forever, then I’m not your dog.

It’s really that simple.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Bryan, I'm sorry you lost Baxter. Those pictures say it all. He wanted to be as close to you as possible throughout. Such a great feeling to be loved so much. Mine do that too. Bethany is constantly on my heels smiling at me. Bishop wants to beat me to every place he thinks I'm going. Bucky is jealous because of all that. lol

Bucky gets a kiss!

Bucky's first trick is "Hey!"... second trick will be high-five. (it's the same really...anyway...) Third trick involves plates rotating on the tip of that. It's a little more difficult but he'll do it soon I know...
View attachment 162025

Somebody has a girlfriend!!! It's Bucky (aka Muppet Boy) and his sweetie Bethany!
View attachment 162026

Kayla is... FAT FROSTED FACED NINJA WITH AN ATTITUDE!
View attachment 162024

Bishop (aka Bishee) munching on a pine cone he brought home from the park.
View attachment 162023

Gimme a bite!! (I didn't think so)
View attachment 162022

Thanks James. I really enjoy your posts here. I'm thinking of getting two dogs. It might be good to have two dogs to keep each other company. Plus your pictures (and those from Mike Frezon) prove how happy the dogs (and owners) are.

I'm waiting until next Spring to make my decision even though life without a dog is pretty much what I expected. Much less fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks