What's new

It's ON like Donkey KONG! 14th new lappys are GO (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The days when you could command a 20% premium for a new display plug are 10 years past. People who paid that much for HDMI were suckers. Bits is bits.

A 4 port usb hub is $10.

An extra power connector is $3.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
How much is a 24" LED backlit panel of the same resolution? Someone other than Apple must be selling it... right? I keep hearing it is overpriced, but I'm yet to see an Apples to Apples comparison.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the new monitor is over priced as the cinema displays were never really intended for consumers but pro's willing to pay for the top tier panels. I'd actually consider one if they (or someone) releases a DVI to DisplayPort adapter so I can use it with my existing MBP.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The connector by itself is useless. The monitor has an "internal power adapter". Regular Magsafe power adapters retail for $79.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Phew, I've survived another round of Apple Upgraditis! My 2 year old 2.33GHz MBP is still plugging along quite well. I guess it helps that I loaded it with 4GB of RAM and replaced the HD with a 200GB 7200RPM drive. :D

Until the processor speeds jump up to 3, or move to quad core, and the 4GB RAM limit is upped, I think it will continue to do just fine. I regularly defrag and optimize it (via CCC clone backups) so the system keeps working smoothly. Nothing on these new MBPs is really setting it apart from mine in a way that makes me want to part with $2K. Despite the improved machining, the new MBP actually weighs more than the old one! (probably owing to the glass/glossy screen and dual GPU chipset)

ErichH

Screenwriter

Carlo - Smart thinking. While the new bks are sexy, so are the prev gens. You're missing out on what, GPU speed? Gloss? Less chems inside? OK, so John Ive is talking about how beautiful the inside of the frame is. Cool Ive! I'll bust the thing open and stare at it ;)

The box is smaller - we're green! Oh, and I thought you just saved money on Fedex/UPS new shipping prices. Hmm...

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Just wanted to mentioned there are some good deals on refurb MacBook Pros (previous generation) at the Apple online store.

Other things I recently found out about the new machines. Both new laptops come with lower capacity batteries than previous models. Also, while the MacBook Pro is thinner, it is actually slightly wider and deeper so existing cases may or may not work.

-Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You're right...And yet there is no other monitor quite like this. Even with the USB hub and USB audio (I assume), where is the monitor that provides power to my portable. A minor detail, but the Apple experience is composed of all these minor details adding up to a greater whole.

I doubt I will ever such a premium, but it's appealing.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Also, Intel's kind of been in a holding pattern with light improvements between Conroe, Penryn and Montevina platforms (basically stepping up the FSB). But their next platform, Nehalem, is supposed to be a rather large performance increase. So I'll probably get back into the upgrade game when laptops are using those chips (and chipsets).

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Hopefully they come out with a more affordable monitor that includes the MagSafe power cord... I'd buy one like that in a heartbeat... as long as the tri-headed cord could reach the DVI - Display Port adapter on the other side of the machine.

I'm going to try to make my MBP I have now last a few more years.

ErichH

Screenwriter
At 650, 1000 & 1000 off, the Books of last week are a great deal and will not last long. A 1350 pro against a new 1300 book? Apple always has a second round in small runs for a few months so no worries if you need to think about it for a while. The Deals store is often better than amazon, ebay, or the rest.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
I'd been thinking about replacing my aging PC laptop with a Macbook to match the iMac I bought last year. The new Macbook without a firewire port is a big turn-off though. The lack of a firewire port makes it unsuitable for me to connect to my mini-DV video camera :frowning: I'd also been hoping for blu-ray in this latest round up.

Steve Jobs' comments that most modern video cameras can use USB doesn't wash. In today's economic climate he expects me to replace my laptop AND my video camera!

As I travel a bit, I prefer the smaller screen. The 15" MBP, although it has firewire and better graphics, is a little bit too big for me when travelling. Not to mention the price increase.

Looks like I'll have to stick with my old PC laptop for a bit longer :frowning:

Here's hoping they re-introduce firewire to the macbooks (or introduce a 13" MBP).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks