What's new

It's been a while. Who now has VoIP? (1 Viewer)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
If you do this, Vonage advises that you physical disconnect your house wiring from the outside phone line.

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo

I posted whether you could do this a while back and am happy to report I did this as well. I chose AT&T and so far I'm really happy with the service.

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator

It's a pretty slick "mod" to make, and I left it labeled in my phone junction box in case I forget to switch it back when we move next year.

I'm happy with Vonage, and the other services are in the ballpark on price, so I have no desire to switch or pay for a year's worth of service up front from anyone else.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
For those of you that connected your VOIP adapter to one of your phone jacks; did you in disconnect the land-line company's line from the box outside of your house?

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
Yes.

One other thing. We just recently discovered the "Locate Me" FREE feature. When we are not home we can roll over any calls to one of our cell phones. We can do it for all calls or just choose a couple of "VIP" numbers, like when my wife was expecting a call back from her doctor.
I resisted the idea of getting VOIP for a long time because I thought I was going to lose some service level. Instead I gained features and now realize what terrible service I was getting with the local telco-for triple the price.

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Mike's right... there are so many features gained with VOIP over our landline provider for about 1/3 the price.

I unhooked the landline at the junction box outside, and my setup was only a bit more complicated due to the previous owner having two lines coming in to our townhouse. A simple line tester helped me figure out which line(s) to disconnect.

SarahG

Second Unit

I assume this is the same thing as call forwarding? Actually, I think SunRocket calls it Find Me Forwarding. I can set up numbers on the SunRocket web site to which my phone calls will be forwarded. There are several different options you can choose from. I don't use it all that much, but I have used it in the past. Nice feature.

Jeff Loughridge

Stunt Coordinator
I've had Vonage as a secondary service for about 1 1/2 years.

As I gained confidence I cancelled my Verizon Fax line, and now use the Vonage fax line.

As of today, my main number is ported to Vonage and I'm 100% VoIP. I was paying Verizon over $90 per month for 2 lines, PLUS another $10-$15 to IDT for LD. Now I have 3 Vonage lines, including a softphone on my laptop for $50.00. It doesn't get any better than that.

I have my router and Vonage box on a UPS, and the house is on a generator, so as long as the cable service is good, so is my phone.

I'm just starting to experiment with a VoIP PBX called Asterisk@Home. My intention is to run everything through it to IP phones or analog phones on an ATA in the house.

SarahG

Second Unit
I didn't keep my land line for very long before I went totally VoIP. The porting process didn't take too long when I switched over to SunRocket and the service was where I wanted it.

I can see the advantage of staying with POTS until you are completely sure the voip service is going to treat you well.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
You guys have certainly got me interested! I have 256 kbps dsl with Qwest, if I went with VOIP like Vonage or SunRocket how will this impact my internet service?

Jeff Pug

Stunt Coordinator
Any one receive faxes on your pc using a voip line??

I am looking at vonage. DO they charge any other fees or taxes besides the 24.95?? I am moving and think this the perfect time to switch to voip using some Cox high speed.

Anyone ever dial up to an isp using a voip line???

I am intrigued by the skyrocket giving a free second line. Anyone have success using this as a virtual number in a different area code???

SarahG

Second Unit

I'm not sure if there are taxes associated with the $24.95 price they offer. Actually, I have no idea. SunRocket offers a yearly deal for $199. comes out to about $17/month. Not bad.

Sounds like you know this, but you have to have a high speed connection to use voip. You can't use it with dial up.

I don't have much experience using the second line we have as a virtual or anywhere line. It can be done though. Just haven't taken advantage of it yet.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor

Drew

The price of your DSL will go up since you will not have phone service through Qwest. You will have whats called "Stand Alone DSL". Your price may go up $5/month. Otherwise you should have no problem with setting up either of those services.

Paul

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I have the cheapest DSL package with Qwest and did the test at the Myspeed website and got:

219 kbps downstream

105 kbps upstream

Will this be sufficient for SunRocket?

Jeff Pug

Stunt Coordinator
i didnt ask the right question. Has anyone had a problem faxing from a pc using a voip line??? (assuming I plug a line from the adapter to the rest of the house and plug my modem in to send and receive faxes

SarahG

Second Unit

That's a great question. I'll run a test. Not sure at the moment. All I know is that I don't have much of a problem running SunRocket on my broadband line. As far as I know, I have the basic cable connection. But I'll get back to you on that.

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
Another happy packet 8 user here. Been using it for ~6 months. Had to reboot the hardware once. The sound quality is similiar to a good cell phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks