What's new

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Season 12 (FXX) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Previous Threads:
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7
Season 8
Season 9
Season 10
Season 11

This season's has had the strongest first two episodes out of the gate in years. The payoff of Charlie and Frank's storyline at the water park literally had me in tears I was laughing so hard.

It was also fun to see the "Game of Thrones" showrunners pop up as the world's most disinterested lifeguards.

And Charlie's fate in the season opener -- holy shit. Especially ballsy because you saw what happened from the cop's point of view, so it wasn't 40-year-old Charlie Day we saw but a young black kid.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Holy shit, Mac and Dee just casually drowned a child.

That final shot of Mac in pure bliss was perfect. This season has been amazing, and we are still only two episodes in. Shows shouldn't be this good in their twelfth season. It defies reason.

I love/am completely disgusted that Charlie gave Frank a bunch of hickeys to sell the AIDS-story that clearly no one was questioning anyway.

Frank trying to clarify that he didn't have "the gay AIDS" was so Frank that he's had to have said that before on this show:

"I'm a doctor, and this is my patient -- he has to get to the front of the line!"
"I've got AIDS!"
"He got it from a gay guy in the '80s."
"I'm not gay!! There are two kinds of AIDS -- there's the vagina AIDS and the needle-based AIDS. I'm a vagina-guy."
"Well, my test-results showed it was the 'gay' AIDS."
"All AIDS are bad. There are no good AIDS, but I'm telling you, like I said, this is not the 'gay' AIDS."

This is right up there with "The Implication"-bit for me as one of the funniest exchanges this show's ever had.

Last edited:

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
For some reason, the way Mac got stuck in the waterslide made no sense to me. I was distracted by every scene in the tube because I was trying to work out how this could happen. And it seemed lazy that half the jokes were that the people stuck in the tube were peeing on each other. I love a good pee-pee joke, but they didn't land.

Frank and Charlie, OTOH, worked on so many levels. In many episodes, the AIDS scene would be the standout. But no so because...

Dennis and the grifter girl was all kinds of awesome. It had it all -- Dennis' full blown sociopathy, incredibly high creep factor, weird tangents, the Usual Suspects ending -- man, I could have watched an entire episode of the two grifting their way through the park. it was like Curly Sue, except not for kids. 'Cause it's Dennis.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"What's a country that treasures its women?"

For some reason, the way Mac got stuck in the waterslide made no sense to me. I was distracted by every scene in the tube because I was trying to work out how this could happen. And it seemed lazy that half the jokes were that the people stuck in the tube were peeing on each other. I love a good pee-pee joke, but they didn't land.
Although, the big payoff -- Sweet Dee and Mac basically murdering a child -- was definitely worth it near the very end.

Also, this was pretty awesome:

900x900px-LL-357e32a5_3n3X6fh.jpeg

...And, of course, Mac in the AIDS-water:

900x900px-LL-94505ef3_geAOhLa.png

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
For some reason, the way Mac got stuck in the waterslide made no sense to me. I was distracted by every scene in the tube because I was trying to work out how this could happen.
The explanation that his triple-laminated wristband got wedged in the seam of the water tube was at least better than when shows usually do the "stuck in a water slide" storyline, where it's clear that the actor in question is not actually stuck.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The waterpark was great I was lukewarm on the season opener. The episodes when they go "high concept" tend to not be my favorites (Last season's "Being Frank" is probably the only Sunny episode I really didn't like at all).

Also, this was pretty awesome:

900x900px-LL-357e32a5_3n3X6fh.jpeg

Nice catch on that. During that scene I did make the Jaws association but didn't catch that the outfits were nearly the same

This season has been amazing, and we are still only two episodes in. Shows shouldn't be this good in their twelfth season. It defies reason.

Well, if you go by a standard sitcom season, Sunny is only in its 6 season or so. That being said, I wasn't tremendously thrilled with last season. I have to think it was due to Glenn, Rob and Charlie seemingly taking a back seat in the writing department. There were some unfamiliar names popping up in the opening credits

Also are we two episodes in this season so far and we have yet to see the inside of Paddy's?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
“Now social media will come down on you with the fury of a middle-aged man who has accomplished nothing.”

"I should be able to eat a bucket of fried dogs at a chicken-fight!!"

Yeah, Frank defending Boko Haram on the basis of, "[At] least they didn't do 9/11," and Dennis's acknowledgment that the Catholic Church "DID sidestep banging kids pretty masterfully" were definitely highlights. I completely forgot Fight Milk's origin story, but of course it's gonna have some crow in there.

While the Mac and Charlie story line was slight, I always enjoy seeing Charlie forced to be the one trying to keep things on track. Though, of course, he can still maintain his enthusiasm over grinding up crows. And Dee's almost nonchalant attitude while reading all of the online abuse directed at her was perfect.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
“Now social media will come down on you with the fury of a middle-aged man who has accomplished nothing.”

"I should be able to eat a bucket of fried dogs at a chicken-fight!!"

Yeah, Frank defending Boko Haram on the basis of, "[At] least they didn't do 9/11," and Dennis's acknowledgment that the Catholic Church "DID sidestep banging kids pretty masterfully" were definitely highlights. I completely forgot Fight Milk's origin story, but of course it's gonna have some crow in there.

While the Mac and Charlie story line was slight, I always enjoy seeing Charlie forced to be the one trying to keep things on track. Though, of course, he can still maintain his enthusiasm over grinding up crows. And Dee's almost nonchalant attitude while reading all of the online abuse directed at her was perfect.

The best for me was the Twitter scrolls on the talk show. They completely nailed that. As soon as Dee is on camera "UGLY, UGLY, UGLY, UGLY #idstillhitthatthough". Poor Dee. And yeah it's always funny when Charlie is actually the sane one when compared with Mac.

With the exception of the 1st episode this season which I thought was so-so, they've bounced back great so far from, IMO, a lackluster last season.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've said before that the high concept/off format episodes of Sunny tend not to be my favorites but tonight's was no exception.

Very little Charlie as well. Guessing maybe this was when he was also shooting "Fist Fight"?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The sweatshop-stuff with Frank was good. Charlie watching wrestling on cat tranquilizers was good.

But the stuff about Dennis and the crows was absolutely fantastic. What is it with The Gang and crows, anyway? And, while he may be clear where Maureen is concerned, I continue to believe that Dennis murdered the shusher from "The Anti-Social Network."

Brian LeFeve, too. No doubt about it. He even admitted that wearing his "skin" got him off in a "mostly sexual" manner.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This episode only worked as well as it did because Dennis has only been a hair's breath away from becoming a serial killer for a long time now.

The reveal at the end that there was actually security camera footage of Maureen screwing around on the edge of the roof and falling off just about killed me.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
But the stuff about Dennis and the crows was absolutely fantastic. What is it with The Gang and crows, anyway? And, while he may be clear where Maureen is concerned, I continue to believe that Dennis murdered the shusher from "The Anti-Social Network."

Something to keep in mind, a group of crows is called a Murder

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm loving this season.

I like that they have gone in a different style to switch it up and it's waorking for me.

I liked last season a lot too.

Binged it in 2 days when it popped up on Netflix.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The bike...holy shit...the bike.

"OK. I'mma get the bike..."

Read an interview with Charlie Day this morning where he confirmed Mac would now be permanently "out." He said fans expressed disappointment with Mac taking it all back on the cruise last season. So they sat down and discussed where this would go.

What a great episode, and credit for McElhenny for his performance, as well. There's a brief moment where he looks so relieved to come out of the closet.

Also, Dennis using Dee to D.E.N.N.I.S. the checkout-girl was so fucking skeezy and perfect.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I believe "The Magicians" on Syfy used it first.

I don't know that I've seen a white character use the n-word, though, except for historical movies.

Charlie said it in Sunny's first episode "The Gang Gets Racist" (granted, he was quoting a black character they were talking with earlier)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks