What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

It's About Time...Finally (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
If ClassicFlix is able to release this show on dvd, it would be cool if they could resurrect Imogene Coca's other series, Grindl. I have seen a handful of episodes and, it too, was silly but hilarious. It also had many recognized supporting actors from the era including a couple of well-known guest stars of the time. It fused creepy little plots with comedy. For example, in 1 episode, a serial killer traps Grindl in her apartment. There are deaths in this episode. Very different tone compared to other sitcoms. I enjoyed what I saw very much.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
What other comedies from the sixties have that Sherwood Schwartz vibe (and unreleased on DVD?)
Captain Nice? Pruitts of Southhampton? Mr. Invincible?

---james

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I'm glad that it's coming out. Any classic tv on dvd is better than no classic tv on dvd.

Unfortunately, the first definition of the word "classic" is: "Judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind."

I don't think its staunchest defenders would say "It's About Time" was "of the highest quality."

Now, it was "outstanding of its kind," if "its kind" is "poor and very silly sitcoms of the 1960s."

As in all things in this world, different people view things in different ways. I'm not a troll. I'm just giving the alternate view. I saw this show the night it premiered, and even at the age of 16 I was appalled at its awfulness.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
A few years ago some one in Canada had this on pirate DVDs and a friend imported it. He remembered the show playing her in Australia but I did not. It was all very pink and worthless so this set should correct this tragedy.

I have to admit I have one of those "Homemade" sets. A date hasn't been announced, but I do plan to get it, and gives the boots THE BOOT! :laugh:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Unfortunately, the first definition of the word "classic" is: "Judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind."

I don't think its staunchest defenders would say "It's About Time" was "of the highest quality."

Now, it was "outstanding of its kind," if "its kind" is "poor and very silly sitcoms of the 1960s."

As in all things in this world, different people view things in different ways. I'm not a troll. I'm just giving the alternate view. I saw this show the night it premiered, and even at the age of 16 I was appalled at its awfulness.
FWIW I was 11 and thought it was pretty bad, cliche', unfunny, derivative, and full of "Seen and heard it all before" vibe that just got worse when it was retooled. It's one of the first shows I remember that didn't impress me much when it started and did not improve over time. I watched it because I liked most of the stars and the theme song. I'll purchase a copy for exactly the same reason. I'm sure it'll be just as bad as it was all those decades ago but I just don't care. :)

Likecats

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
I just started watching the episodes on Youtube. I didn"t see the series when it first came out. I was born that year. From what I have seen of it, I think it is very funny! I like silly shows. Joe E. Ross does his famous ooh ooh on the show too!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member

You are right Joe. But compared to today's television; it's comedy gold. I find it reassuring, comforting, and relaxing. it may be bad, but that's in a good way.

===james

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I remember my parents talking about it when I was a kid. I didn't even know it was a TV show at the time, but I just thought it was something they came up with!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
You are right Joe. But compared to today's television; it's comedy gold. I find it reassuring, comforting, and relaxing. it may be bad, but that's in a good way.

===james
In spite of my earlier comment I agree. I fully expect to enjoy this once I get to see it again after decades. Sure, it'll be the same show it was but I've found many programs from the 60s I'd either grown tired of or thought were "dumb" at the time are now rather enjoyable. Even some of the worst. And it's for just what you say - compared to what we're offered today they're comedy gold. I thought My Mother the Car was much better than I'd been lead to believe over the years (I'd only seen snippets during the original run and had no opinion). I fully expect It's About Time to be better than I recalled and know it'll be better than many of the current comedy shows I've sampled. I may watch one of those episodes on youtube just to see, but really want to just wait and watch it on disc.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Is this on dvd now?

A link to buy it?
Not yet... All we know so far is a pair of vintage TV shows will be released, along with a slate of 9 or so movies (one of which is a BR release of Abbott & Costello's The Noose Hangs High), "starting late spring" (2017) from ClassicFlix. Just keep an eye on this thread as I'm sure as soon as someone gets the date it'll be posted.

Here's the information from our friends at tvshowsondvd.com

Last edited:

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David

===james
I couldn't agree more. I can't disagree with Joe Lugoff, nobody is going to win an emmy for that show--I don't think. Yes, it is corny, silly, the laugh track can be annoying, Jack Mullaney was a poor man's Gilligan however, it transport me to a very happy time and place. I was very young when it was out.

I have a hard time enjoying modern television. I love the innocents of early TV. I don't like crude and vulgar programming. My kids think my wife and me are crazy because unlike us they were raised by social media more than by parents. At least it seems like that. Young people have no idea or appreciation of how different society and our culture was back than. These shows come from a time where as a people we largely shared a common decency and moral code.

So it is innocent TV. That alone goes a long way. I understand some adults are better than others at suspending reason or sophistication. If you are one of the those that can, just let go. Journey back to your youth and enjoy it for what it is.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I think some of the interesting differences between Retro TV and currents shows and many incidental things. When we watch Retro TV we are transported back to our youth at least mentally. It was the time before the world robbed us of our innocent, care-free childhood. There are aspects of these shows like clothing, cars etc. which we don't consciously notice but we do deeper down.

I am reminded of the song sung by the Byrds and written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King:
I think I'm goin' back
To the things I learned so well in my youth
I think I'm returning to
Those days when I was young enough to know the truth

Now there are no games to only pass the time
No more electric trains, no more trees to climb
But thinking young and growing older is no sin
And I can play the game of life to win

I can recall a time
When I wasn't ashamed to reach out to a friend
Now, I think I've got
A lot more than just my toys to lend

Now there's more to do than watch my sailboat glide
But every day can be a magic carpet ride
A little bit of courage is all we lack
So catch me if you can, I'm goin' back

Now there's more to do than watch my sailboat glide
But every day can be a magic carpet ride
A little bit of courage is all we lack
So catch me if you can, I'm goin' back
Songwriters: GOFFIN, GERRY / KING, CAROLE

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I couldn't agree more. I can't disagree with Joe Lugoff, nobody is going to win an emmy for that show--I don't think. Yes, it is corny, silly, the laugh track can be annoying, Jack Mullaney was a poor man's Gilligan however, it transport me to a very happy time and place. I was very young when it was out.

I have a hard time enjoying modern television. I love the innocents of early TV. I don't like crude and vulgar programming. My kids think my wife and me are crazy because unlike us they were raised by social media more than by parents. At least it seems like that. Young people have no idea or appreciation of how different society and our culture was back than. These shows come from a time where as a people we largely shared a common decency and moral code.

So it is innocent TV. That alone goes a long way. I understand some adults are better than others at suspending reason or sophistication. If you are one of the those that can, just let go. Journey back to your youth and enjoy it for what it is.
The very topic that came up at Bible Study tonight (no attempts at religion here). My pastor brought up how his favorite TV dad was Ward Cleaver, and the discussion went into classic TV. After study was over, he and I were talking along with two other members. He was laughing about how befuzzled the Cleaver family would be at cell phones and iPads (he teaches from his iPad and I have numerous Bible apps on mine I use during service). We just talked about what a much simpler time it was even if neither of us grew up in that exact era.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That''s what's known as a cosmic irony. James
That's pretty Darren to say
009-the-time-tunnel-theredlist.jpg
;)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Leave It To Beaver wasn't reality even back then. TV is a beautiful lie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks