What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (SPECIAL COLLECTOR'S EDITION) coming October 31 from Paramount! (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
According to a DVDTalk review, there is an audio mastering error around the 7 min. mark when young George is working in the drugstore. I guess there is a pop and the audio fluctuates. If this is true, then it is a shame.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

Someone at Amazon says there are 4 audio pops, and gives the time of each.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Even thought the picture quality is improved, I found the jitteryness very distracting.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
OMG, the audio pops are there...and they are LOUD. So loud that you will jump out of your seat. And you can tell they aren't part of the film. Paramount needs to address this issue ASAP and send out replacements.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I just checked my copy... and damn it, the pops are there. Loud, digital POPS! The poster over at Amazon lists the following times:

7:43
57:09
1:24:46
1:31:43

Everybody check your copies. I'm betting it's on all of 'em. Disappointing, to say the least.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
It's beyond disappointing...those pops actually scared the crap out of me! CRACK. wow...this warrants a replacement program.

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
My copy has them too, but they hardly made me "jump out of my seat," in fact I did not notice them at all until I went back and listened for them at the times cited above. The fourth one I couldn't hear at all until my third try with the volume cranked up.

Minor blemishes on an overall excellent release.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Ya know this is why I sometimes dread reading forums...it's been out since the 31st and there wasn't a mention about any sound pops until now. It seems every one, including most reviewers never gave it a second thought then all of a sudden the sky is falling.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
If the sound pops were source defects, I wouldn't care. These, however, are clearly digital audio artifacts introduced during the mastering process. They'd be easy to fix, and Paramount should do it.

I don't think anyone implied that the sky was falling, Van. But we certainly are entitled to call attention to a flawed product, aren't we?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I called Paramount and the lady said she would do some research to see if anyone else has complained and she would send me a new copy. However, it will probably be faulty as well. I didn't get a chance to tell her exactly where the pops occur, so if a tech is checking the disc they probably won't notice it. Some other people need to call and to give them the time stamps where the pops occur. That is the only way this will get fixed. Can some of you do that? It's pretty painless and the people on the line are fairly polite. Thanks!

When you call, it is at first automated. Just keep saying "I need Home Video" and eventually they will transfer you to a live person. Here is the number:
(323) 956-5000

Pete York

Supporting Actor
For anybody interested, IAWL is getting another release in November. The raison d'etre, I guess, is the inclusion of a colorized version (that should satisfy those Amazon critics). But it is claiming a "restored black and white version." Presumably sans the 'sound pops', although now I'm such a cynic on this title, one never knows.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...r-20/ref=nosim

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I contacted Paramount last Christmas season about the sound pops, and was told it would be fixed. They sent me another copy, but it still had the pops.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Lord, they just HAVE to appease the "THE PICTURE ON THE CASE IS IN COLOR SO I WANT THE MOVIE IN COLOR!!!" crowd.... eesh

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I guess it's more work from Legend Films. They do a lovely job of enhancing films that require none.

James Stewart specifically used this film as an example of why he was opposed to colorization.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yep, the bleakness and heavy contrast of the B+W photography really helps with the twilight zone atmosphere of the "night when he never had existed"

:)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Paul: I think you got snookered on the dates. This is last year's release that's being discussed. There is a link to a review, though, in post #49.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
No, there is a new release this year featuring a "restored" black and white print and a new colorized print, in a 2-disc set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shronkey234
Recent bookmarks