What's new

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (SPECIAL COLLECTOR'S EDITION) coming October 31 from Paramount! (1 Viewer)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Thanks for the link.

I'll have to think about whether or not this is worth another purchase.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
What will be the differences between the new version and ones or old? Special features, picsture, audio...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Wow, the new DVD looks fantastic from how the DVD Beaver caps look. The Republic DVD has a ton of DVNR, slightly weak contrast, and bad compression in spots (notably the snow falling).

Did this originally have the RKO logo before the Liberty Films logo?

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
Here's hoping there's a HTF Review coming this week for this release. At this point, there's not enough "there" there to make me buy this DVD again, and this is a Top 5 all-time movie for me...

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui
I have shamefully never seen It's a Wonderful Life. But I love Jimmy Stewart, so I have pre-ordered it. Hopefully I am in for a treat.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation normally does the rounds at Christmas time. Be nice to see something a bit different.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

They also own Broadway Bill, Riding High, and Here Comes the Groom. All of which are on DVD. Broadway Bill was made at Columbia, but Paramount bought the rights in order to remake it as Riding High... they even incorporated a large amount off the negative in order to save cost. Here Comes the Groom is part of a double-feature with Just for You (both are Bing Crosby/Jane Wyman films).

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I picked this up at Best Buy today. If memory serves, the bad splice occurred when George and Clarence are tossed out of Nick's bar, right? I can report that there is no splice present. :D

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

In my edition (50th anniversary, I think), the dialog is garbled starting in the middle of the scene in which Jimmy Stewart gets his free suitcase and lasts about a minute or so. Has that been corrected?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Really? My review led you to NOT want to get the new one? That's a surprise since I definitely recommended the double dip...

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Honestly, I don't know why anyone wouldn't pony up fifteen bucks for this. I wasn't expecting a transfer this good, given the lack of new supplements (or hell, a full-on special edition), but it really does look wonderful. Don't hesitate!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Before I got the DVD, I expected fresh extras but not much improvement in pic quality. The opposite is true. Too bad we don't get new supplements, but the picture looks MUCH better - and the audio's improved as well...

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
On reflection if all the rumours about Paramount and classics are true, I reckon I've a duty to buy the damn thing again, otherwise the studio suits will only point at the sales figures and say 'See? Told ya so...'

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks