What's new

Is XBox One falling behind --- due to the extra $100 for the Kinect? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
http://i2.wp.com/boygeniusreport.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/xbox-one-kinect.jpeg?w=870

We all know that the XBox One had sold out day one editions months before the actual launch. We all know that both PS4 and XBox One claimed over $1M units sold in the first 24 hours.

What's happened since then? I was able to get an XBox One on Amazon last week. Sony has announced that PS4 sales were up 2.1M units last week. How did Microsoft respond? Well, they responded by talking about how many hours gamers have spent playing XBox One games. That's an odd response to Sony reporting how many PS4 units have been sold. It's a deflect and redirect response IMO.

New research from Nielsen looked into who’s planning to buy the latest gen consoles and found that 30 percent of active gamers in the U.S. said they definitely plan to purchase PlayStation 4, 22 percent are shopping for the Xbox One and 10 percent have their eyes on the Wii U.

I've wondered this all along. Will consumers pay $100 more to get the Kinect, when the main value prop for the Kinect was for the TV watching consumer or doing Skype calls? Is the hard core gamer ever going to use a Kinect outside of interesting voice and gesture commands?

It seems that MS is going to need to separate out the console from the Kinect (or bring the price down $100) to have a competitive playing field with the PS4.

My XBox One is still in UPS hell as Amazon requires a physical signature to get the damn box so I haven't had a chance to do anything with it.

How many XBox One owners out there are using the Kinect? What are your thoughts? Worth the $100?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
For the more casual gamers or people who want a console but might not care about the difference between Killzone and Ryse, the PS4 will be the more attractive option. But a lot of hardcore gamers will want to carry over their friendslists, profiles, etc. to the next generation. That is where MS is probably doing a lot of their business.

Both consoles have sold 2+ million units. Considering the Wii U is cheaper than the PS4, I don't think price is the sole factor here or even that big of a factor.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Morgan Jolley said:
For the more casual gamers or people who want a console but might not care about the difference between Killzone and Ryse, the PS4 will be the more attractive option. But a lot of hardcore gamers will want to carry over their friendslists, profiles, etc. to the next generation. That is where MS is probably doing a lot of their business.

Both consoles have sold 2+ million units. Considering the Wii U is cheaper than the PS4, I don't think price is the sole factor here or even that big of a factor.
The WiiU isn't selling because there is nothing for it. Unless all you want to play is interminable amounts of Mario games.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
That's also a big part of it. There are a bunch of great games on the Wii U but not as many system-sellers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks