What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Is wireless networking reliable? (1 Viewer)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I was gearing up to hardwire a network system for our new place, but people close to me are trying to convince me to go wireless instead.

My only concern is the reliability of the wireless routers. So far we’ve had pretty poor luck with hardwired routers. We’re on our third one – these things seem to bite the dust every couple of years or so. (The two that failed were D-Link, if that matters.)

So - what are your experiences with wireless routers in this regard? Since they cost twice as much (or more) as regular routers, I’m not sure I want to go that route if they’re as unreliable as regular routers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
I've had a wireless network for at least 4 years. File-sharing has never been all that reliable (but I think that's b/c we upgraded computers and/or OS to XP in the meantime). It was really cool when it did work - grabbing files from a computer 3 stories and 100 feet away.

Internet access has been mostly fine. I have to click "repair" every so often when the signal is lost (which I mostly attribute to Windows XP).

Since our "hub" access is 3 stories from my office, and it's a 1913 house, wireless was really the ONLY option - and I'm glad I did it. I'd do it again, in a heartbeat.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
If you set it up properly, you should be fine. You might need to invest in a better antenna depending on signal strength issues.

I use a wired router and a wireless access point (only because the router has a feature I need for my setup, or I would have switched to a wireless router). My router is approaching 5 years old now. I've had the access point for about 1.5 years now.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Maybe I need to clarify. I’m interested in the reliability (or not) of the wireless routers themselves – i.e., how long they last - not how well they work. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I finally grew tired of cheapo routers. I had a D-Link too (with wireless) that died on me.

When you can buy these routers for just a few tens of dollars, basically it's a case of "you get what you pay for". D-link is bargain basement stuff and as reliable as you can expect. I'm through buying D-link myself. Not saying all D-link products are bad, just that I've had very bad luck with them.

Instead I took an old PC (a Compaq small form factor, with a Celeron 466 in it), put in an extra network card and installed Smoothwall on it. If I were to start over today I'd probably go with IPCop instead though, it has more bells and whistles out of the box.

Great router, has VPN and a web proxy and more, managed via a web interface and as reliable as your average computer is. Easily repairable or replaceable with some other old hulk of a computer in case it breaks.

I then added wireless with a separate access point.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Another option would be to go with "regular" router and a wireless access point. Step up to one of the Linksys business-leve routers (gigabit if you'd like) and your reliability should be pretty good. Lots of companies sell reliable access points.

I have a Linsys wireless router that is 1.5 years old with no problems and then a belkin "regular" router and belkin access point that are about 3 years old with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks