What's new

Is there a way to split an S-VIDEO out signal into two separate ones? (1 Viewer)

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
I'd like to split the S-Video cable going out of my receiver to both my TV and a computer monitor in the other room. I realize that video isn't easy to split like audio but is there some inexpensive box/amp that can do it? Thanks!

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Yikes! Thanks but is there anything significantly cheaper? I was hoping for something in the $50 range but am coming to the conclusion that that's a pipe dream!

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
Kramer makes a one in/two out DA that Markertek has for $113, but that's about the cheapest I've seen them.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
another way to do it might be to get one of the cheap s-video to RCA adapters. I use one on my VCR to convert the compostie video out into an S-video out. It works like a charm and is less then $10 at radio shack. You could then leave the true s-video connected to the TV and then simply connect one of these adapters to the compostite out of the DVD player then run an s-video cable from it to the PC. Picture quality will only be as good as the composite out but it would be cheap and easy to set up.

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
John,

That maybe the way I have to go.

Andrew,

Do cable boxes and DVD players output on all of their output connections at the same time? So will I get a signal on the composite out even with an SVIDEO cable already plugged into the SVIDEO out?

Thanks guys.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Daniel,

Most players do provide a signal on all video outputs simultaneously. However, some have a switch such that you can use the component output or you can use the s-video and composite outputs (i.e. they have only 3 output drivers). Check your manual to be sure.

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Thanks Seldon. I'm starting to realize that it is probably cheaper to actually buy another television than split both the audio and video signals. Thanks again for the input guys!

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
another way to do it might be to get one of the cheap s-video to RCA adapters. I use one on my VCR to convert the compostie video out into an S-video out.
How the heck does that work??? Tell me if I am wrong, but composite video carries the Y/C channels as one signal- needing a comb filter to seperate them- The S-video signal is already split into seperate Y/C channels, bypassing any comb filter. It seems to me that sending a composite signal into an input with no comb filter is asking for trouble. I am surprised that it works at all. I can only assume that the cheap little radio shack adapter somehow splits the Y/C signals.

Huh- someone un-confuse me.

Andrew B.

Lawrence MI

Auditioning
You may want to check out RadioShack. They recently introduced two A/V switchers (I think one was $59.95 and the larger model was $149.95) that allow you to input both composite and S-Video signals and route them via S-Video to several sources. The smaller unit may be just what you need. Good Luck.

derek

Second Unit
I believe the Radio Shack high end video switcher does have two outputs. Does anyone know of any other switchers that can have a switchable output? Also...do they make SVHS cable extender plugs? (ie to attach 2 svhs cables together?)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Uh...how about a simple S-video Y-adapter?
I just bought one from these guys:
http://www.altex.com
I am splitting the S-video output from my TiVo to both my television and a FireWire bridge...in effect, the same sort of splitting that you want to do between a TV and your computer.
Oh, and it costs around $5.
- Steve

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
An S-Video Y-adapter is designed to take two sources and connect them to a single input. Not for a single device to drive two outputs. You will experience signal degradation.

How much you experience and whether or not it's an issue for you is something for you to decide. I bought the Kramer PT102S for something very similiar. I drive S-video from the TiVo into my receiver and into my SVHS VCR's line-in. (I really wish the TiVo just had two S-video outs).

A switching device will (obviously) not allow you to watch two screens simultaneously (as opposed to a distribution amplifier), however if the intention is two only watch either the TV or the Computer Monitor they are the most economical solution.

-Alan

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
When you split any signal there is some reduction.
But as the frequencies increase, you now have to worry about reflections. This is where the signal is running down a cable and then hits a connector/electronics with a higher impedence.
To solve this, we have a convention that all video sources expect to "see" a 75 ohm impedence. This means the cable and the video-input connections.
Think of running marbles down a garden hose, 1 per second. Everything works fine until you install a "Y" adaptor. Unless the "Y" adaptor is built to exactly match the inner diameter of the hose, the marbles will hit the connection of the "Y" adaptor and "bump". This will cause a jam-up/stalls/collisions. Eventually the marbles will force their way through, but the output wont be the smooth stream you had before you installed the adaptor.
A simple SVideo splitter cannot/will-not be 75 ohm impedence. You need some electronics on the input & output sides of a splitter to maintain the impedence-match. With that, you need power for the electronics, and you may as well add in an amplifier, make it a 1 to 4 splitter, put it in a nice box, etc. - Thats why these little box's start at about $75.
Hope this helps.

Lawrence MI

Auditioning
John, you must have seen the wrong unit. The $59.95 RS unit has four inputs and two outputs, all with both composite and S-Video connectors. Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks