What's new

Is the Bose Videowave Package worth a look? (1 Viewer)

Dan Ealey

Grip
Real Name
Dan
I love their noise-reduction headphones, but have no experience with their Home Theater systems. Visiting their site, I saw and read all about their Videowave which they claim is an awesome all-in-one ststem...just plug in a Blu-Ray player and you've got it made. At 5K$ which seems to be the concensus of this forum to pay for a "good" price for a HTS (10K for a GREAT HTS), I would love to hear what the experts say about this.:confused: That means you. Thanks, Dan

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No Highs, No Lows, it must be BOSE. :D For $5K you can put together a terrific system. For a few hundred dollars, you can match (or beat) the BOSE.

BoseOwner

Auditioning
Real Name
D K
I love the random comments from people that don't own the product. About two months ago I took out my Sony ES and Definitive Technology speakers and sub HTS and replaced it with a VideoWave TV. The sound is about 90% as good as my previous setup, and the picture, remote, and operation could not be better. The Bose head unit in a cabinet automatically controls my Apple TV and BluRay and Cable Box...no set up required. The Bose remote is RF, and the head unit communicates with the other pieces of the system with no infrared "eyes" required. So the whole massive home theatre with all the equipment and cables is now down to a small head unit, blurry, cable box, and apple tv. The Bose remote controls them all with simple onscreen controls, and switching inputs happens with a single button. As for the sound. Bose calibrates the VideoWave to your room. Normal TV watching is transformed, from the tiny speakers from my three year old Sony XBR flat panel. Full surround and full bass available on every show. Would I buy it again, even though it is crazy expensive. Yes. Simplifies life, and I pulled out a full black garbage bag worth of cables and remotes as I retired the traditional separate amp surround set up.

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
Bose has always been a product tethered to people that like it simple and good. A certain convenience factor and style is what Bose is known for and that's what you are paying for. If you have the money to spend and want a chique, decent sounding and comfortable to use sound system, Bose is for you. Ray

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
raehza said:
Bose has always been a product tethered to people that like it simple and good. A certain convenience factor and style is what Bose is known for and that's what you are paying for. If you have the money to spend and want a chique, decent sounding and comfortable to use sound system, Bose is for you. Ray
You forgot very expensive. The best thing about Bose is their marketing dept.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
One of the things that pisses me off the most in life is when someone (or some company or organization) takes advantage of folks. It really trips my trigger when I see it and I HAVE to speak out about it. In the HT world, there are two main companies that do this on a large scale. BOSE and MONSTER. There are MANY other smaller boutique companies that do this as well, but they are not as widely known or pushed (you usually have to seek them out). I would have no issue with either company if they simply sold their products without the bullshit marketing that goes with them. BOSE uses deceptive demos to make their tiny speakers sound better than they do in the real world. The only way to make them sound good is to play the same demo material they provide and have the same room setup they have. Anything else and the limitations of the speakers begin to show. Monster, and the sales folks at the big box stores, make it seem like the only way to get a great picture on your $500 TV from your $80 bluray is to buy a $100 cable. Both of these claims are proven hogwash. There are absolute holes in the frequency response of BOSE speakers. Don't believe me? Measure the damned things. You can't argue with the results. They are proven and repeatable. Same thing for Monster and other expensive cables. Prove to me they work better. I don't mean prove because you think you can see it, I mean prove it with a double blind test. On another forum I offered to help setup a real scientific test of uber expensive speaker wire vs monoprice speaker wire and no one wanted to chance it. Okay, I'll off my soapbox now. Back to your regularly scheduled programming. :D

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
I'm a speakers newb but I don't think that you need to be a pro to realize that it just can't be POSSIBLE for tiny speakers like that so have any quality sound behind them. When I bought my first set of speakers about 3 weeks ago (Pionners which I returned a week after because I bought my current DefTechs) another gentleman bought a Lifestyle V25. THat thing costs 2500 !!!!!! Holy crap thats alot of dough for a tiny speakers system like that. Can it match a 2500 dollar DefTech system or any other "self" made system? Highly doubt it. Is it more convenient and packaged prettier? Hell yea.

cmstn

Auditioning
Real Name
charles
I think the bose videowave is definitely worth it. The sound quality is awesome. I not only promote it in my bose videowave review, but I own one too. I would recommend it to anyone who loves simplicity, along with quality. The way it knows what you have just hooked up to the bose videowave is a feature that makes it a joy to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks