Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The latest Pirates movie made more than a billion dollars and about 3/4 of that came from the international market. This movie is more or less being marketed as Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Old West (and probably even more so internationally) so I think it can pretty easily pull in half of what a Pirates movie did even with the 'hindrance' of being a western.

And since this thread is for people who don't watch TV today to say that it's all bad, the movie business discussion should be moved to a more appropriate thread.

2. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    I'm not sure what this sentence means. But the B&W series "The Lone Ranger" is 100% appropriate to this thread and the perverted modern movie version of it is appropriate, too, to point out exactly why we prefer old B&W television as compared to the waste of time and money garbage being made today.

Ron1973 likes this.
  3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    The Pirates films are a tentpole franchise known all around the world. The Lone Ranger is neither of those things. But I'm willing to wait and watch and eat my words if I'm proven wrong.

And I certainly agree that the original TV series is unbeatable in entertainment value; the heart it portrays and the values it stands for aren't really worthy of parody.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yes, discussing The Lone Ranger TV series vs. the movie seems to be appropriate for this thread but discussing its box office take seems to be a topic that's more suited for a thread in the Movies section.

EDIT: Matt posted as I was posting
    Like I said, the marketing for The Lone Ranger is heavily pushing that it's from the same creative team behind the Pirates movies (they even have the Pirates skull and crossbones logo in the trailers) and since those movies were HUGE hits around the world, I think The Lone Ranger is going to ride the coattails of those movies. I'm also willing to eat my words and since I'm not a Disney stockholder, I couldn't care less if they lose $500 million on their fairly dopey movie but unlike some here, I see no reason to be happy if they lose money either. And for what it's worth, the movie doesn't parody the old TV series. There's no mockery or deconstruction of the character and TV series. The humor (or rather the attempts at humor) come from the characters cracking jokes or being placed in situations that are funny and not from mocking the characters or poking fun at the ideas or values behind the original incarnation of the characters.

5. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    Travis, I think the reason why some of us here want the movie to fail is to send a signal to the studios that this is not the type of treatment a pop culture icon deserves.Of course, knowing the studios as I do they will invariably miss that particular signal and place all the blame on it being a western and/or the character being unknown to today's target audience. That will definitely account for a large part of it should it fail, but I also hope they will read the numerous negative reviews from critics who disparaged their misguided and disrespectful portrayal of a once popular, legendary American media figure.

Gary OS likes this.
  6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

^ Having seen the movie, I don't feel that it's particularly disrespectful to the character or its previous incarnations. Like every origin movie (which seems to be the only thing that Hollywood can make any more), he's new to the job and thus makes some mistakes for the sake of comedy but it's not like The Lone Ranger is a total goofball in this movie either.

All that being said, I'm not recommending anyone go and see it because despite a surprisingly fun and exciting finale, it's not a very good movie overall.

7. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    It seems obvious, at least on the surface, that this movie was not geared toward older fans of previous incarnations of the character, which could create the impression of disrespect. Whether that's an accurate assessment or not has to be made by those who see the movie or from a consensus of trusted reactions from others who have. I am not too familiar with the character or its history and I haven't seen the new movie, so I can only comment on the reviews I've read and the general impression from fans of the original who have posted here and elsewhere.

Gary OS likes this.
  8. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I've not seen the film (and never will), but a friend I highly respect has seen it and he disagrees with your assessment above. Because he and I have similar tastes I'm inclined to believe he's correct, but to each his own.

Gary "still enjoying Rawhide S6 and HGWT S6" O.

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

^ I guess it depends on what each person considers to be disrespectful. Personally, I don't have a problem with some jokes being made at the expense of any fictional character but I'm sure there many people who have no sense of humor about that kind of thing and think that even one joke at the expense of a character that they love makes the movie the most disrespectful thing ever made. People have varying degrees of what they will and won't accept.

If they had made a good movie that had some jokes at the character's expense, I would be quite happy with this movie. However, they made a bad movie that had some jokes at the character's expense and the lack of quality would be why I wouldn't recommend people see it.

10. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Great news, per Chris (Silverking) in another thread: Mackenzie's Raiders - the complete series - due for release on October 8th.

Gary "another neat b/w western I'll be looking forward to" O.

Professor Echo likes this.
  11. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I'm looking forward to this one as well Gary. Also hoping we'll see Tombstone Territory Seasons 2 and 3 soon, most likely as one set since season 2 was only 8 episodes.
    I'm also hoping that Timeless can get the rights to Bat Masterson Season 3 since TGG apparently doesn't have the rights to it.

12. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    You're definitely right about that. In a lot of older films, when they dealt with mature subject matter, they had a way of doing it so that, if a child happened to be watching it, it would be so far over his head that it wouldn't be noticed. Scenes like that are in The Maltese Falcon where Mary Astor says something to Bogart like, "If I can't buy your loyalty with money, what can I buy it with?" Bogart then kisses her and the screen fades out. In It's a Wonderful Life, there is a great scene where George Baily is talking with Burt and Ernie and Violet walks by. Ernie says, "How would you like to . . . ." George interrupts him with a "Yes," whereupon Burt announces that he's going to go home and see what the wife is doing.

David_B_K and Rob_Ray like this.
  13. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Great news.
    I'm looking forward to getting this . I wonder if Timeless can get the rights to Black Saddle , and The Rough Riders .

14. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Second Unit

James Beer
    Maybe TMG could go for other westerns as well, like Johnny Ringo, Law of the Plainsman, and The Westerner, starring Brian Keith, in which there were only 13 episodes in that series.

15. Silverking

Silverking Stunt Coordinator

Chris Street
    'Johnny Ringo,' 'The Westerner,' 'Black Saddle' & I think 'Law of the Plainsman'were all Four Star productions, so not likely unfortunately.'Rough Riders' was ZIV,as was 'Pony Express'.There was also 'Man Without a Gun','Legend of Jesse James' 'Man from Blackhawk' 'Hotel De Paree' ' The Californians' 'Boots & Saddles' 'Jefferson Drum'' The Loner' & several other 1/2 hour black & white westerns. Probably too obscure for release now.

16. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Of that group, I would mostly love to see The Californians, mostly.

17. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I heard yesterday that the poor showing of the new Lone Ranger movie is indeed being blamed on its being "a western".

In a way, I guess that's true. Movie genres do go in cycles in terms of popularity. The current movie cycle genres appear to be CGI effects laden super-hero movies or kid's animated movies. I was turned off by the trailer to The Lone Ranger when I saw that a movie that should have been a western had been turned into another CGI fest.

The other movie mentioned as a "failed western" was Cowboys and Aliens. It would be interesting to see what a "real" western would do.

Ron1973 likes this.
  18. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    The reboot of True Grit did quite well.

19. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Second Unit

James Beer
    Shotgun Slade starring Scott Brady from Universal still could be a complete series possibility, and Men Into Space starring William Lundigan from MGM, the latter is more likely than the former, since TMG is on an MGM binge! They might be done with NBC Universal.

20. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    If they are, I hope they re-release updated Laramie Seasons 3&4 before they ride off into the NBC/Universal sunset.

Randy Korstick likes this.