What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello

Actually, it might very well be true, perhaps only a rumor now. On BluRay.com in one of their forum discussion threads many months ago, a poster claimed he heard George Feltenstein on his blog talking about the WarnerArchive working on another BluRay release of a classic tv series that ran only one season. The Alaskans seems to fit that criteria.

Yes that’s what I was thinking, and I recall that comment.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
That could be interesting, but I'd rather see Naked City on Blu-ray first.
Both good shows, but in my opinion, M Squad needs a clean-up. The Timeless release was lackluster with some very poor transfers. Naked City on DVD looked acceptable.
While we’re discussing Universal, will the fifties Dragnet ever emerge?

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Both good shows, but in my opinion, M Squad needs a clean-up. The Timeless release was lackluster with some very poor transfers.
M Squad is like a boot-leg compilation. Might as well add the majority of the Timeless and ShoutFactory! releases to your wish list.
Naked City on DVD looked acceptable.
Some Naked City episodes are spectacular while others are very mediocre. Like Route 66, I don't believe we will ever see any better.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
The next WB tv western will be one which has previously been released on dvd.George specifically states this at at 25.29 on his Jan podcast.Again as with Colt .45 from 4k scans.And there will be more.Click on transcript at the top to scroll down.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
The next WB tv western will be one which has previously been released on dvd.George specifically states this at at 25.29 on his Jan podcast.Again as with Colt .45 from 4k scans.And there will be more.Click on transcript at the top to scroll down.
I’m guessing either Cheyenne or Maverick.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Agreed. And would vastly prefer Cheyenne between those two. But my guess is it will be Maverick.

Gary “have really been enjoying Colt .45” O.
Me too, but I’m in for either one. I passed on the Complete Maverick DVD set for the time being, waiting to see if that will be the one. ( Like Ozzie And Harriet where I am also hoping for a BD release) Then
again , I already have all the seasons via the WBA releases.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I think Maverick will be the next blu ray release.James Garner became the biggest star in tv series and films of any of them from those WB tv westerns.In 1958 Maverick was the 6th rated show My personal preference is
Lawman,Maverick.Cheyenne.But as long as they all get released on blu its all good.
I saw actor Britt Lomond (captain Monastario/Zorro) in a 3rd season ep of Colt .45.He played buffalo Bill Cody rather well and became fast friends with Chris Colt and helps him out.

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I think Maverick will be the next blu ray release.James Garner became the biggest star in tv series and films of any of them from those WB tv westerns.In 1958 Maverick was the 6th rated show My personal preference is
Lawman,Maverick.Cheyenne.But as long as they all get released on blu its all good.
I saw actor Britt Lomond (captain Monastario/Zorro) in a 3rd season ep of Colt .45.He played buffalo Bill Cody rather well and became fast friends with Chris Colt and helps him out.
Right, any of those three would be great. And while we’re at it, since you mentioned Zorro, that would be great too. But I know, It’s a Disney show , so it will never happen.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Film Chest is releasing the complete 26 episode 1954 British TV series Colonel March of Scotland Yard, starring the great Boris Karloff on 3 DVDs. Street date is April 30th! It's up for preorder on Amazon...
1712218649624.png

for those that haven't seen it (as a PD show, it's on YT and Tubi), this series had a strong recurring paranormal, supernatural and locked room mystery theme...done on a budget, but with several outstanding episodes that were very effective. And of course with the esteemed Karloff himself!

1712216961068.png

1712217968329.png

1712218252379.png

As a little kid, the look of the Abominable Snowman really freaked me out!
1712217736800.png

I have several Alpha Video volumes of Colonel March of Scotland Yard, but I hope that as with Film Chest's brilliant DVD release of all 39 episodes of Decoy (and Deadline!), from greatly superior film sources that eclipsed all previous PD releases of that show, perhaps Film Chest has found superior 16mm elements of Colonel March? Considering Film Chest's history, I wouldn't be surprised.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Film Chest is releasing the complete 26 episode 1954 British TV series Colonel March of Scotland Yard, starring the great Boris Karloff on 3 DVDs. Street date is April 30th! It's up for preorder on Amazon...
View attachment 218653

for those that haven't seen it (as a PD show, it's on YT and Tubi), this series had a strong recurring paranormal, supernatural and locked room mystery theme...done on a budget, but with several outstanding episodes that were very effective. And of course with the esteemed Karloff himself!

View attachment 218622

View attachment 218641
View attachment 218646

View attachment 218633

I have several Alpha Video volumes of Colonel March of Scotland Yard, but I hope that as with Film Chest's brilliant DVD release of all 39 episodes of Decoy (and Deadline!), from greatly superior film sources that eclipsed all previous PD releases of that show, perhaps Film Chest has found superior 16mm elements of Colonel March? Considering Film Chest's history, I wouldn't be surprised.

Sweet - thanks for the heads up Randall. I love Film Chest, another little engine that could. 🚂

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here's a link to that Karloff series without the superfluous code attached that should have the HTF referral attached (the other looks like a referral link but can't tell if it's HTF or someone else).

https://www.amazon.com/Colonel-March-Scotland-Yard-DVD/dp/B0CY6C6HVC

If that link is missing the HTF referral code you can click here (the HTF SHOP w/Amazon referral link) and then search for B0CY6C6HVC (product code on Amazon) on the page that'll open.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the heads up, Randall. What a nice surprise! I caught this a few times back when MeTV (I think) was airing it on Saturday mornings for awhile. I enjoyed it but certainly never expected any kind of complete, non-Alpha release. I look forward to purchasing this.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Here's a link to that Karloff series without the superfluous code attached that should have the HTF referral attached (the other looks like a referral link but can't tell if it's HTF or someone else).
It's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious
If you say it loud enough, you'll always sound precocious!
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!!
icon_e_funnypost.gif
Film Chest is releasing the complete 26 episode 1954 British TV series Colonel March of Scotland Yard, starring the great Boris Karloff on 3 DVDs. Street date is April 30th! It's up for preorder on Amazon...for those that haven't seen it (as a PD show, it's on YT and Tubi), this series had a strong recurring paranormal, supernatural and locked room mystery theme...done on a budget, but with several outstanding episodes that were very effective. And of course with the esteemed Karloff himself! I have several Alpha Video volumes of Colonel March of Scotland Yard, but I hope that as with Film Chest's brilliant DVD release of all 39 episodes of Decoy (and Deadline!), from greatly superior film sources that eclipsed all previous PD releases of that show, perhaps Film Chest has found superior 16mm elements of Colonel March? Considering Film Chest's history, I wouldn't be surprised.

Thank you Randall. I'll anxiously await your review!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
View attachment 218653

View attachment 218622

View attachment 218641
View attachment 218646

View attachment 218633

Great news! I’ve always wondered about this show and will be ordering!
As is always the case, just when you think things are slowing down on the Vintage TV/ B&W front something like this shows up!

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
1712346655299.png

Price already reduced to $17.92 on Amazon!

I messaged Film Chest on FB, and their rep told me that they're very excited abut their new DVD release of Colonel March of Scotland Yard...they said that these episodes are 'restored', but no elaboration on if they are from previously un-accessed film elements (as their brilliant DVD releases of Decoy and Deadline were...found in a garage in New Jersey!). I have the feeling that this new release will be just as good as those earlier complete series sets!

With a nice libretto too, with the episode guide...

The rep also told me: "stay tuned"

Great news! I love Film Chest!

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I messaged Film Chest on FB, and their rep told me that they're very excited abut their new DVD release of Colonel March of Scotland Yard...they said that these episodes are 'restored', but no elaboration on if they are from previously un-accessed film elements (as their brilliant DVD releases of Decoy and Deadline were...found in a garage in New Jersey!). I have the feeling that this new release will be just as good as those earlier complete series sets!

With a nice libretto too, with the episode guide...

The rep also told me: "stay tuned"

Great news! I love Film Chest!
It's simply a positive that you were able to communicate with them. I'd be very interested if you'd tell us if the prints are better than what is currently streaming on YouTube and particularly Amazon Prime.

Thank you Randall.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
It's simply a positive that you were able to communicate with them. I'd be very interested if you'd tell us if the prints are better than what is currently streaming on YouTube and particularly Amazon Prime.

Thank you Randall.
So , I’m taking that to mean there’s a strong possibility of other series down the road. Or am I reading too much into his “ stay tuned” comment?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks