What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (3 Viewers)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Ozzie and Harriet started in radio I believe. I am sure this has all been spoke of in that thread. I can barely remember the series but Ricky singing. I also remember that when Dave and Ricky married their real life wives were in the series.

I really enjoyed some years back the Biography Show on the couple. I also watched a Perry Mason episode on ME TV the next door neighbor appearing on Perry. Harry I think was his name on OH. I also caught an episode with David just married about 2 years ago and the family worried that he would not send his new wife flowers.

I am so glad to be able to read this thread and have the focus of it stay on track thanks to Gary,

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Mark Collins said:
Ozzie and Harriet started in radio I believe. I am sure this has all been spoke of in that thread. I can barely remember the series but Ricky singing. I also remember that when Dave and Ricky married their real life wives were in the series.

I really enjoyed some years back the Biography Show on the couple. I also watched a Perry Mason episode on ME TV the next door neighbor appearing on Perry. Harry I think was his name on OH. I also caught an episode with David just married about 2 years ago and the family worried that he would not send his new wife flowers.

I am so glad to be able to read this thread and have the focus of it stay on track thanks to Gary,
You are spot on in all those points you raised, Mark. Good stuff. I actually enjoyed the later seasons of Ozzie & Harriet just as much, if not more, than the early seasons when the boys were both still young. Some folks didn't care for the show as much once the boys married, but I'm not in that group. I felt like the series held up very well from start to finish (with perhaps only the last season beginning to show symptoms of lagging).

I think there's an outside chance that Sam will get us a few of the early seasons (although I'm not willing to bet the farm on anything), but unless a solid company gets behind this effort I can't see the entire 14 seasons being released. Presently that just doesn't appear to be very likely from my perspective.

Gary "I guess the next b/w series I'll be interested in will be Gunsmoke S10" O.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thank you Gary that is high praise coming from you. Lover of the great classics as you are my friend I consider it an honor what you said about my post.

I too began to appreciate Gunsmoke 1 hour B/W shows when I had encore westerns. I also picked up on me TV the half hour shows which I believe Jeff Willis said you turned him on too.

I wish I had the cash to buy the series. Right now I am being conservative because of the long debate within me to buy I Love Lucy on Blu-Ray. I also want Batman when it comes out.

Like I said before I am so glad this is such a great positive thread. Glen has made some great remarks and I always read all the members posts on this thread.

People here really care about these shows and I hope that all the B/W shows people want will come out.

Thanks again for your remarks good friend.
Mark

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Mark,

FYI, lots of Gunsmoke dirt cheap on Amazon right now, if it fits your budget. The nice part is that you don't have to buy a large package of multi-seasons at one time like in many "Deal of the Days". These are priced cheap at the individual season volume level ($10 - $14 each), so even if you only want to pick up a few you can take advantage of it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^And smithbrad beat me to it! I don't know why I didn't cross post that sale here too! :)

Keep in mind that it's the "TVonDVD Deal of the Week" so if I understand correctly it's only through Saturday.

I've ordered/purchased *way* too much stuff already this month but that season 1 set keeps calling my name...

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The reissue of "My Favorite Martian" S1 next month might be worth an upgrade since there's a lot of bonus content not previously made available, including an unsold Chertok pilot "The Reluctant Eye". Plus, Rhino used double sided discs (though the third disc with just a few episodes was single-sided) which makes this another reason to upgrade/

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Jack P said:
The reissue of "My Favorite Martian" S1 next month might be worth an upgrade since there's a lot of bonus content not previously made available, including an unsold Chertok pilot "The Reluctant Eye". Plus, Rhino used double sided discs (though the third disc with just a few episodes was single-sided) which makes this another reason to upgrade/
I'll be getting this even though I already have the Rhino version. Single sided discs and the bonus material are definately the lure for me . With Timeless and TGG Direct sitting on the sidelines in terms of B&W shows , maybe MPI will release more titles lik ethis .

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I never purchased the Rhino versions of My Favorite Martian due to all the reported issues with the DS discs. Because the re release of S1 (and hopefully S2) from MPI has taken so long following their release of S3 I've often regretted that decision to avoid the Rhino releases and *almost* purchased the Australian releases to get the series. I was thrilled when I saw the release info on DVDTalk.com and have already pre-ordered the MPI S1 set and hope they continue and fill in the blank of S2. I currently have no plans to purchase S3 unless they release S2 as well.

While I'm not a "bonus material" type person it *is* nice to know theyve made the extra effort and are not just re releasing the Rhino set on SS discs.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have the Rhino set for Season 1 and I am looking at this, too. I had problems with the flippers, so the single sided discs would certainly be an upgrade.
I really wish MPI would follow up with Season 2. I still do not have that and I haven't heard about any plans for a release.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I want to take advantage of the Gunsmoke sale on Amazon, but I'm just curious if anyone has any recommendations for which seasons to prioritize. I'm interested in the b&w hour-long shows, but I only want to buy one or two seasons.

Thanks.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
ChrisALM said:
I have the Rhino set for Season 1 and I am looking at this, too. I had problems with the flippers, so the single sided discs would certainly be an upgrade.
I really wish MPI would follow up with Season 2. I still do not have that and I haven't heard about any plans for a release.
There's a thread here somewhere in which a MPI rep let us know S3 was coming. Several of us expressed a desire for and asked if they were going to re release S1 & S2. IIRC the rep indicated they *were* going to release both earlier seasons but didn't have a time frame. That discussion was *before* the release of the MPI S3 set which is why I'd about given up on ever seeing re releases of S1 & S2 from them. The re release of S1 gives me hope but I'd rather not have to wait the almost 2 years we saw between the S1 & S3 releases before S2 arrives!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
BobO'Link said:
There's a thread here somewhere in which a MPI rep let us know S3 was coming. Several of us expressed a desire for and asked if they were going to re release S1 & S2. IIRC the rep indicated they *were* going to release both earlier seasons but didn't have a time frame. That discussion was *before* the release of the MPI S3 set which is why I'd about given up on ever seeing re releases of S1 & S2 from them. The re release of S1 gives me hope but I'd rather not have to wait the almost 2 years we saw between the S1 & S3 releases before S2 arrives!
What do the MPI S3 episodes look like quality wise? I don't want to hijack Gary's thread with a discussion on a color season but I watched a couple of them streaming on Amazon and they very much looked like they were taken from tape elements instead of film. Is this the case with the MPI release as well?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The S3 MPI set did feature remastered elements from my standpoint that looked fine. In fact, I had previously owned the region-free Australian release of S3 which erroneously used a 16mm print for one episode and that was fixed in the MPI set.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Jack P said:
The S3 MPI set did feature remastered elements from my standpoint that looked fine. In fact, I had previously owned the region-free Australian release of S3 which erroneously used a 16mm print for one episode and that was fixed in the MPI set.
Sounds great!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I sucked it up and looked for that thread where My Favorite Martian S3 and the possible re release of S1 &n S2 were discussed.

Here's the thread at the point we were discussing bonus and other material:

My Favorite Martian - S3 has a bonus disc

The post where I asked about S2 & S3 is #154 with the reply at #155. This was way back in August 2011!

I bumped the thread to ask Chernoff Television about S3.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Nowadays it almost seems like we get more b/w re-releases than we do new releases (My Favorite Martian S1 being another example). And don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of a re-release if it means be able to retire double-sided discs. But I hate to see so few b/w releases in general.

Gary "still hoping we get good news from Timeless soon" O.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I hope what I think is true. I believe MPI will give everyone a very nice complete series release of this show.

MPI has done a wonderful job on Lucy and with extras and I am positive you will get the same with MFM.

I just wish MPI would take over from Shout the B&Ws of Peyton Place and see how it performs for them. Sorry folks for bringing PP into it.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
maskedmala said:
Hopefully, Sgt Bilko will have a North American release before the end of the year.
Sgt. Bilko is the last 50s tv series I really want to own. Any others that are released will be icing on the cake for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks