Is TCM in trouble? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Latest update on the Watch TCM app ...

Things seem to be slowly moving in the right direction. Most of the titles added in the last 36 hours or so seem to be working.

As of 2 am Thursday, the two movies added from last night's airings are NOT available. DAYS OF WINE & ROSES and THUNDER ROAD won't load up. I'll check later in the morning and see what's happening.
I've noticed that the films that are working do not start with the usual TCM graphic about closed captioning availability. One title (OBSESSION) starts with color bars and timing slate.

This whole debacle has made me realize how much I use the app compared to watching the actual channel.
You can add Cool Hand Luke to those last two movies that won't playback. It looks like they have to manually load each title into the system. Late yesterday afternoon, I clicked on some James Cagney movies, and they wouldn't playback. This morning, they do playback. Anyhow, I suspect that list of non-playback titles to grow, unless they manually load those titles again or find a long-term solution to this issue. What a FUBAR!
The app is even more messed up tonight. Movies like Cool Hand Luke and Thunder Road have been deleted all-together from the app. The only two movies added today after The Clown are Rebel Without a Cause and Splendor in the Grass. Of course, neither of those two movies will playback on the app.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
You can add Cool Hand Luke to those last two movies that won't playback. It looks like they have to manually load each title into the system. Late yesterday afternoon, I clicked on some James Cagney movies, and they wouldn't playback. This morning, they do playback. Anyhow, I suspect that list of non-playback titles to grow, unless they manually load those titles again or find a long-term solution to this issue. What a FUBAR!
All of the films from the 7/20 B Movie lineup were added to the app overnight (except the excellent PREVIEW MURDER MYSTERY) and will not load up this morning.
However, I've been trying to watch DEAD MAN'S EYES and ISLE OF MISSING MEN from last Thursday's airings. I've tried multiple times in the last week but...today both titles were working, and I watched them both.

Lots of chatter about this problem over on Twitter and BookFace.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
And all of the titles Robert and I have reported as being added are gone again. THE CLOWN is back at the top of the recently added list.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Another "update" from TCM received this morning. At least this one has an actual name attached to it rather than "Auto Response Andrew".... but it's more of the same.

From Erika Weaver...
Over the last few weeks, Warner Bros. Discovery has been dealing with a technical issue that has affected several of the company's apps, including Watch TCM. This is a high priority for the network, and our team is working hard to get it back up to speed.
We appreciate your patience and will keep you informed as more updates become available.

Best regards.
TCM Customer Support

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I pulled up The Late Show off the TCM app this afternoon and watched without incident. I hadn't seen it in ages, so I was very glad I was able to access it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Okay, the app loaded some more movies after The Clown this late afternoon. The following movies playback:

Way Back Home
A Free Soul
The Divorcee
Splendor in the Grass
What--No Beer?
Night Spot
This Could be the Night.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched The Divorcee tonight from the app (the print used had been cleaned and looked much sharper than any previous broadcast of this film that I've seen and is far superior to the DVD). I tried to pull up Murder Most Foul and it wouldn't open.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched The Divorcee tonight from the app (the print used had been cleaned and looked much sharper than any previous broadcast of this film that I've seen and is far superior to the DVD). I tried to pull up Murder Most Foul and it wouldn't open.
Yup, it's what I figured. Not one movie added last night will play back after "This Could Be the Night" and three animation shorts. I can't believe that it's taking them this long to permanently resolve this problem.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
The fact that some films play and some don't is beyond strange.
And in many cases, the clips, trailers and host intros all play fine but not the films themselves. I guess this is what happens when so many tech people are booted out the door.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
It is a real shame this is reflecting poorly on the TCM brand, because you know the people left after the cutbacks are dedicated and hard working professionals who have been put in an untenable position by careless management decisions.
I’ve never utilized their app and don’t know what the typical status is of recently played titles. Are they supposed to be available the day following the airing, and how long do they remain so?

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
It is a real shame this is reflecting poorly on the TCM brand, because you know the people left after the cutbacks are dedicated and hard working professionals who have been put in an untenable position by careless management decisions.
I’ve never utilized their app and don’t know what the typical status is of recently played titles. Are they supposed to be available the day following the airing, and how long do they remain so?
Usually films were added to the app appropriately 3 hours after their east coast airing. Occasionally, some films are not available due to rights issues. Last week’s THE PREVIEW MURDER MYSTERY was not added to the app.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yup, it's what I figured. Not one movie added last night will play back after "This Could Be the Night" and three animation shorts. I can't believe that it's taking them this long to permanently resolve this problem.
Okay, they loaded a bunch of new titles onto the app some time today. Right now, they all play back like normal.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I noticed they deleted some of the films that weren't playing back. I was going to try Murder Most Foul again, and it wasn't there.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, that didn't last long. I Accused! won't play back so it has started again.
There is good news and some bad news. The good news is that I Accused! will now load and play along with some other titles like those "Christmas in July" movies. However, the bad news is that Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) won't load and play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks