What's new

Is my RAID card going wonky? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have a pretty new motherboard (Abit IC7-MAX) that should be able to handle the larger than 137GB hard drives that need 48-bit addressing.

I have 2 160GB ATA100 hard drives connected to a Highpoint RocketRaid100 card in RAID 0 configuration for 298GB (real GB) in disk space.

I'm running XP with SP1 (which should be able to handle the greater than 137GB HD capacities, as I also have a 200GB ATA100 drive that is also installed and working). Initially, I was able to partition and format it for 298GB of disk space, and it had been working fine up to this past weekend.

As I got to putting more and more files on the RAID 0 array, when I get to around 240GB, the RAID controller starts beeping, and it complains that one of the drives is not working. So I reboot, and the RAID 0 array is still intact, but if I add more files to it, I get the RAID controller beeping at me, and it complains that the other drive is not working.

After I back up my data, I delete the RAID 0 array, and start over from scratch.

I boot back up, have XP's disk manager create a large primary partition on the RAID 0 array, and then I format the partition with NTFS. The formatting gets to 86% and then it hangs (86% of 160GB is 137GB). That appears to me that I'm still hitting the 137GB wall in this RAID 0 array. What should I do to alleviate this situation.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I have bios 2.31 on the Highpoint RR100 card, so that's fine.
Downloaded the latest Raid Management software from their website.

I did a quick scan, a full scan, and a Low Level Format on each of the WD 160GB hard drives last night (took around 4-5 hours). Each HD scanned clean, no errors. I also made sure to use the WD utilities to set the ATA speed at 100 for the HDs.

I downloaded the Network version of XP SP1A (125MB) and installed it and rebooted.

I used the Raid Management software to create the Raid 0 array (I had used the RR100 BIOS at the bootup stage to create the array before booting into XP on my previous attempt).

Then using XP's disk management, I initialized and partitioned the full array's space of 298GB (true GBs), and formatted it in NTFS, 64K cluster size.

So far, so good, but I have filled it up yet, so I'll find out later tonight if I run up against the same problem as I get close to the 240GB disk space level of files.

tom stewart

Auditioning
see this article on microsoft.com. do a search for Q303013
its a patch which enables hardrive support for larger drives.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
try getting a third party scan program that will scan the data sector of the hard drives. the win 9x series scandisk will do this, but NT will not.

I found this out when I was trying to find out what was wrong with a flash memory card. my home computer with winXP reported no problems, but my work computer with winME found the problem. . . after much playing around I found out that NT's scandisk doesn't bother scanning the data area on a thourough scan.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping my updating to SP1A handled all the registry changes needed for the 48-bit addressing for HD larger than 137Gb.

Wouldn't the WD utility tell me if the disk was good or had bad sectors after doing a deep scan and a LLF?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
not neccesarily, with that flash card I mentioned earlier I could write data to it without an issue in the world; the problem only cropped up when I tried to access the file later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks