What's new
World Wide Stereo

Is my Onkyo TX- SR601 dying ? (1 Viewer)

RussellTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question about my TX- SR601 its about 5 years old I purchased as a manf. refurb. It seems like I have to run the volume at an extremely high level(65 to 75) to produce adequate listening levels. I have checked to make sure that this is not related to the intellivolume feature being turned on and I am only running a small sattelite system with a sub so I don't think I'm overloading the unit. The system still works fine and since anything over 75 would really be too loud for normal listening I really didn't give it much thought. However, recently I noticed that it was having trouble processing some of the Dolby digital signals and the center channel would cut in and out when watching some HD cable programming. Since I needed a good digital recevier in the basement I bought a TX - SR505(also manf. refurb) to run the satellite system on and moved the SR601 to the basement and connected to 2 bookshelve speakers with a sub. However I noticed that the SR505 I can run the volume between 35 and 45 to get the same volume level as 65 and 75 of the SR601. Now I beleive the SR601 actually is supposed to have more power so is there any reason why I have to run the volume level so much higher? Is this just a sign that the 601 is about to crap out completely?

Thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Check the speaker levels on the TX-SR601.

The audio dropouts on the center channel while watching broadcast tv could be the broadcast signal itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks