What's new

Is it bad to leave my sub 'always on'? (1 Viewer)

Patrick.B

Auditioning
It has the option to be 'always on' or only on when there is suffecient bass being sent to it. What are the advantages of each and which is best for my sub?

Also, should I turn my sub COMPLETELY off when I'm not using it such as overnight? Does this depend on whether it's 'always on' or only intermittently on?

Thanks all,
Patrick

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
There's no end to the debate on this kind of topic; been going on for at least 30 years now. Some folks maintain that the best thing you can do to solid state electronics is turn it on and leave it on, provided the power is fairly stable. Others maintain it prolongs life to turn it off if it will be unused for "long periods" -- a few hours, a day, pick what "long" might mean.

No proper study I've seen has shown an significant, consistent difference.

Personally, I leave everything on unless it's not going to used for a time measured in days or there's a severe storm nearby.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've never seen a sub have a problem being in "auto" mode. No, you don't need to turn it off at night. Always on will draw more current when idle, but I doubt this would be bad for the sub either. Don't overanalyze it, just leave it on auto and enjoy :)

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
This issue I have with auto on is that sometimes the threshold of audio it needs to detect to turn on. I leave my SVS on 24x7 because it won't auto on if I'm listening to a real low volume level.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
I had always heard that you want the sub run at full volume because the volume control acts as a limiter and having it all the way to "10" allows the amp to operate at "normal" power. Thus, one would be limited as to raising the receiver's sub level since you need to set it to blend well with your speakers.

Of course, the above may all be an urban legend but I'm thinking I heard it from Tom V. here on the HTF back in the early SVS days (I have one of the original PS models, serial # 16).

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I'm on both sides of the debate. My monoblock amps (used for my music speakers) stay on 24/7. My 7 channel amp and my sub amp click off when I shut off my processor (via 12v triggers). I do think my monoblocks sound slightly better warmed up. But I have not had any issues with either staying on or being switched off.

So I don't think you will hurt it either way. Of course, I only switch everything off when I go to work or at night. I don't think it is necessary (or wise) to switch everything off for just 10 minutes etc. (That and I have all the timers set in my processor set to shut it off at midnight, turn it back on for an alarm clock, shut it off after I leave for work, and turn it back on before I get home from work)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

That one is interesting. The reality is, it depends on the room as the receiver's adjustment and th sub's gain are interactive and every room is different. If I turned my sub amp to 100%, I'd have to put the receiver's sub setting at -10 to get ref cal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks