What's new

IR repeaters (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Anybody try these somewhat inexpensive solution to using IR over a multiroom setup? I'm just looking at being able to control my Outlook 970's audio portion from say my bedroom or outside on my deck via these IR repeaters. Any experience with the

Powermid:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

or the cheaper Terk:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

I mean, given the $10 price difference, I'd rather go the cheaper Terk and save the few bucks... unless there is some glaring weakness to it...

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks, it seems that both of them use AC, is there any that doesn't? I don't care if the unit by the HT is AC but sometimes I'm outside and not necessary by an outlet...

Jay

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
No, they all need power.

Some of these things work better than others. The ones I’ve tried from Radio Shack ($45) and Best Buy (I think it was the Terk) didn’t work worth a flip. However, I know people who’ve used the Rabbit system Radio Shack used to sell and it worked well, but I haven’t been able to find them anywhere. I ended up using a hardwired repeater system, and it works flawlessly.

Your best bet is most likely to bring them home and try them out. Just make sure the store you buy from has a generous return policy.

Keep in mind that using them outdoors, sunlight might interfere. Make sure neither the receiver or transmitter is in direct sunlight.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Radio Shack has a pretty good return policy, I've returned stuff there before without a problem.

That RF thing is interesting... My DishNetwork remote was RF and it was pretty good, could easily control my receiver in the living room when I was in my bedroom (of course, until I changed the address)...

You basically replace the battery in the remote and put the base unit by the receiver and I assume it converts the RF back to an IR signal so my receiver can understand it, then you replace the AA battery in the remote with the AAA mini-1.5v battery cell and RF transmitter and that will transmit the signal to the base unit?

Sounds star trek ish... Am I right?

Jay

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
The only problem with RF systems is that many times the base unit picks up stray RF and proceeds to spew random IR signals at your equipment. Many times this will cause issues. I have a number of URC-9910 remotes that suffer from this problem. I actually have to unplug the base station when not in use or I have lots of problems. It's liveable, but I will be replacing it with a hardwired IR system sometime in the future.

-Dave

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
A hardwired IR system is like buying those IR receivers mounted in the wall, and then running it to the repeater, instead of the wireless IR repeater like the Terk or the Powermid. This is the most expensive solution?

Anyway, the RF thing does sound like it is the best and easiest solution to me.

"URC-9910" is that the tech. name for the partsexpress RF thing?

It mentions it uses 433.9MHz frequency. Is this close to anything else? I don't have a wireless network running around, I don't even have a cordless phone in my house (I strictly use my cell phone).

Jay

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
URC-9910 is a model of remote control, the Universal Remote Control 9910. I believe all of the RF systems with the exception of the more expensive Home Theater Master remotes use the same technology. In my experience, other equipment in your house has little to do with the amount of extraneous RF that's out there. If putting in a hardwired, and yes more expensive, system is out of the question, give it a shot. It may work out OK for you.

-Dave

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know how the Powermid Receiver RE549 connects to the IR emitters, and if it's possible to connect at least 4 dual IR emitters?

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
PAtrick, there is a mini-plug at its back...supposedly where the emitter could be plugged in. I don't know how many u can daisy chain on there though.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I found the answer to my question:

2-in-1 adapters:

http://www.pigselectronics.com/products/CBMS2FS.htm

I'd need 3 of these adapters to get 4 jacks from the single jack on the RE549 receiver. And then I'd attach 4 of the dual-emitters (for a total of 8 emitters).

I did check on the RE549 being able to drive all 10 emitters from its lone output jack, and the Pigs Electronics support guy said that they did test it, and the RE549 was found capable of driving 10 emitters (after using 4 of the 2-in-1 jack adapters to create 5 jacks for 5 dual-emitters). Perhaps I'll also be a testimonial for them if I actually do order the IR/RF extenders with the dual-emitters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks