What's new

iOS5 and iCloud users and review thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's a problem. 3G to iOS4 was also said to be terrible. If Apple is going to sell 2-yr old hardware with brand new software, it has to work adequately or they're going to lose consumer confidence in the low-end and risk their reputation for being the consumer-friendly choice.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
After posting last night I went into settings to check EVERYTHING and I see that one other problem I have is that pics I take on my phone don't always directly download to iPhoto. The pics that are in People, Places, and Events folders on my phone are no problem, but the ones in the "main/default" folder called "Camera Roll" do not.

And while I agree about the compatibility issues of the older hardware/new software, I STILL wouldn't trade this stuff for anything! I guess I'm only a casual computer guy and don't use it for work or special projects so it's less of an issue for me.

And if this is something I was able to do all along (I've had iPods/iTouches/iPhones for the past five years) I never knew it: I LOVE that I can delete songs/podcasts DIRECTLY off the device without having to go into iTunes to delete them and THEN sync the device!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by EricSchulz /t/315440/ios5-and-icloud-users-and-review-thread/60#post_3866560
After posting last night I went into settings to check EVERYTHING and I see that one other problem I have is that pics I take on my phone don't always directly download to iPhoto. The pics that are in People, Places, and Events folders on my phone are no problem, but the ones in the "main/default" folder called "Camera Roll" do not.

And while I agree about the compatibility issues of the older hardware/new software, I STILL wouldn't trade this stuff for anything! I guess I'm only a casual computer guy and don't use it for work or special projects so it's less of an issue for me.

And if this is something I was able to do all along (I've had iPods/iTouches/iPhones for the past five years) I never knew it: I LOVE that I can delete songs/podcasts DIRECTLY off the device without having to go into iTunes to delete them and THEN sync the device!
If you have PhotoStream on, iCloud connected on your Mac, and iPhoto updated, all *new* photos should show in its PhotoStream folders automatically. Anything taken before all that was turned on won't get uploaded.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
well, the screen grab of my phone is now miraculously showing up in iPhoto! Here's what I see when my phone is "locked"...any idea on why I don't get the direct camera icon all the time?

9f35fa2b_IMG_0617.PNG

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DaveF /t/315440/ios5-and-icloud-users-and-review-thread/60#post_3866578
Double-tap the home button. Same as you do to get iPod controls
Like I said....I'm learning more of these tricks/secrets every day! Thanks DaveF!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I've bookmarked the Macstories site...any others that are going to be helpful to a Mac newbie? (Just got this in Feb.)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Just read that Apple found some battery draining inconsistancies in the OS and will release an update to hopefully fix the complaints of 4S users in a couple of weeks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've been disappointed with iCloud since launch and I finally figured out why: It's very un-Apple like in its complexity.

The free replacement for MobileMe is great. Fully what I wanted. "Cloud" backups and syncing of my calendar, contacts, reminders, and PhotoStream, is great. It works how I'd expect from APple: invisibly and correctly.

But the document-syncing system, exemplified by iWork, is very unsatisfying. And I realize it's because it violates every expectation I have from Apple. To get a document into my phone I must:
* (don't get confused and use Send to iWork feature in iWork by accident. That's not the cloud you're looking for)
* Locate document in Finder on Mac
* Open Safari
* Go to iCloud
* Go to iWork in iCloud
* Click back to Finder
* Grab document
* Drag and drop onto Safari
* Click "Yes" to replace existing version
* Get iPhone
* Unlock iPHone
* Launch e.g. Pages
* Wait for document to sync

Repeat those 12 steps *every* time I want to refresh the file
And if I edit it on my phone, roughly 10 of those steps in reverse order to get it back to my computer.

It should be:
* Save document first time with iCloud-sync option enable
* (forever managed invisibly and correctly in background)

Or, at worst:
* Click a File->iCloud Save button

I've read why this stuff is hard. How iOS apps and OS X apps are different and could mangle documents doing round-trips. I don't care. The feature, as implemented, is a poor user experience. It's everything Apple stands against, and I'm surprised such a tedious process was let out the door.

Hopefully there will be interim upgrades in iOS5 and OS X 10.7 to improve the whole iCloud system. If we have to wait until next year for iOS6 for iCloud to make real progress towards its potential, it's going to be a long wait.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
In case anyone cares there is now a jailbreak for the current iOS on ipadnand iPhone4/S

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks