What's new

iOS5 and iCloud users and review thread (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
What's punched leather? Is that the design on the reminder?

EricW

Senior HTF Member
things i don't like about iOS 5 (they may be bugs):

1) my playlist sorting now ignores punctuation. i used to put a "." infront of podcast playlists and a "-" infront of top priority playlists, now they are ignored and it'll go like this:
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 205)]acoustic[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 205)]-favourites[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 205)].new yorker (podcast)[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 205)].scientific american (podcast)[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 205)]soundtracks[/COLOR]

instead of
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 205)]-favourites[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 205)].new yorker (podcast)[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 205)].scientific american (podcast)[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 205)]acoustic[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 205)]soundtracks[/COLOR]
(this sorting issue is only on my touch -> ipad still sorts with puncutation as does my PC iTunes)

2) manually-attached podcast artwork doesn't show up on Touch (they do on iPad).
3) podcasts within playlists are now re-ordered "by release date" no matter how they are ordered in the playlist or smart playlist (again, Touch only, ipad's okay)
4) video artwork/icons is now reloaded all the time instead of stored to memory, so whenever you browse, they take time to re-generate (much more noticeable on iPad)
5) ipad no longer shows lyrics on songs
6) after syncing you device on iTunes, it doesn't acutally say "synce complete" or something, it just has the apple logo.

also the new ipad music player sucks (used to look like iTunes which was way better)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm having two issues with 5.
This may have been a previous "feature" but there doesn't seem to be a swipe to close a folder on iPad. I have to tap the screen to close a folder.
If it was like that before I Never noticed.
Also when I need to open a link to an outside website I have to hold on the link to open the popup that asks if I want a new tab or just to open the link.
I have to press " new tab" to get the link to open, otherwise I just get a blank pageif I simply click the link.
This is not just on HTF.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Sam Posten said:
Um, that would be a horrible idea. The battery notification SHOULD interrupt you, unlike every other note.
I disagree, or at least allow us to set when it alerts you. I do not need to be told at 20% and 10% with an alert, or banner me at those levels, and alert me at 5%. I am on the device so I can see the battery level, and If i'm in an app and cannot see the battery, that's when I do not want an alert coming up and stopping the action (unless at that critical 5% stage).
Also had to do a restore and setup as new to get my reminders working with location, lost all my contacts in the process.
I am now trying to also figure out our best options to setup 2 phones and an iPad with what should be shared / synced. For the last 4 years we have just only used 1 ID.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No, Apple doesn't roll that way.
20% battery warnings to protect you from yourself =p
Also: heh:
http://gizmodo.com/5849940/ugh-god-why-apple-is-making-everything-look-like-an-ugly-wild-west

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's for sure: ToDo is borked with iOS5. Doesn't work right on either of our iPhones / Macs. Hopefully it gets fixed...but their website says nothing about upcoming revision. Learning to use Reminders and will be looking for new todo app in the next week or two.

Kurt Lang

Auditioning
Originally Posted by DaveF /t/315440/ios5-and-icloud-users-and-review-thread/30#post_3861489
It's for sure: ToDo is borked with iOS5. Doesn't work right on either of our iPhones / Macs. Hopefully it gets fixed...but their website says nothing about upcoming revision. Learning to use Reminders and will be looking for new todo app in the next week or two.
Take a look at BusyToDo. It has already been updated for iCloud although I have not personally changed from MobileMe yet.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Good tip. We use BusyCal; didn't realize they have a todo app. It's pricey ($10) and doesn't have some features of ToDo. But it looks good, is iOS5 compatible, and should always coordinate well with BusyCal. We'll give it a week and decide how to do about our to-do problems.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I can't figure out how to allow iCloud to synch my current email and notes on the iPad.
When I slide the button to on for those two I get a popup that says i have to create a new Me.com account.
Since I already have that it tells me sorry but that user name already exists.
a0e1a307.jpg

f60d294b.jpg

1e34ae2c.jpg

e259068d.jpg

21150537.jpg

What am I missing on this?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yikes sorry those are so big, apparently no image resize with photobucket.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Have you already created a MobileMe / iCloud email address? You already have [email protected]?

I'm having a different iCloud email problem: I can't get it to appear on my iPhone. I turn on iCloud mail, but it's not available in my Mail app. Only my existing Gmail mail is there. there's no Mailboxes screen to select between the two email inboxes.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
DaveF said:
Have you already created a MobileMe / iCloud email address? You already have [email protected]?

I'm having a different iCloud email problem: I can't get it to appear on my iPhone. I turn on iCloud mail, but it's not available in my Mail app. Only my existing Gmail mail is there. there's no Mailboxes screen to select between the two email inboxes.
I'm sure I have a MobileMe and thought I created a iCloud when I updated the iPad.
This is confusing to me. How many email addresses do,I need to get this iCloud thing to work?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You sign into iCloud with your iTunes ID. When you create an iCloud mail account, I then, then it asks you to create a Mobile Me account if you don't have one. If you're a subscriber to MM, then you'd have logged into that account and converted it to iCloud through the setup process.

An easy check: log into iCloud on a computer, and send an email from Mail to your Gmail account and see what the address is. perhaps there's a glicth right now interfering with your Mail setup.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/documents.html
I'm annoyed to find that desktop iWork doesn't auto sync with iCloud. I thought that was the whole point? If I have to manually upload and download documents from my computer, then there's no benefit from iCloud to what I had before when I had to drag into iTunes manually after every change.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
13,000 posts. How did that happen........
I wonder if not having the latest OS on my Mac is a problem here.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Try this:
Backup iCloud on your iDevice.
Delete iCloud account and delete from iPhone
Reboot phone
Reconnect iCloud account

That got my AWOL iCloud email account to connect on my iPhone

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm just going to take the thirty mile track to the nearest apple store.
Not sure what I would be backing up onto the cloud and the cloud tells me I only have 5gbs to use and that I have more than that so it wont even backup anyway.
From what I have figured out I now have three cloud accounts not including my wife's separate account.
6d61ed04.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Apple stores are closed this afternoon, call before you go!
Also, rumor is that merging accounts is coming but not too soon.
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/18/apple-still-working-on-allowing-merging-of-apple-ids/
iTunes Match is coming soon tho.
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/19/apple-activates-itunes-match-setting-in-ios-5-suggesting-imminent-launch/
Deep dive on iMessage
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4956/apple-ios-5-review/3

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Thats good to see. it's a bit ridiculous that they didnt have something for that ready on launch. They have to know that there wopuld be multiple id's messing up people's acccounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks