What's new

Interview with Andrew Jones on his move to Mofi (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Andrew Jones has moved to the company MoFi where he is starting their speaker division. He doesn't talk much about the products other than to say that he is starting with a product in the mid range between his products for Pioneer and ELAC and the high end stuff he did for NAD. He doesn't want to be in the low end at this point since he just recently refreshed the ELAC lines.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The speakers have been released.

Here is Andrew Jones unboxing the Mofi Sourcepoint 10 while being interviewed at Steve Guttenberg's house:

Here is Steve Gutteberg's review of the Mofi Sourcepoint 10:

For those who don't want to watch the videos, Andrew's new line from MoFi came out. These very large "bookshelf" speakers have a 10" woofer/midrange with a tweeter in the middle concentrically. They cost $3,699/pair.

ELECTRICAL SPECS

Frequency Response

42Hz-30kHz

Nominal Impedance
8 Ohms, 6.2 Ohms minimum

Sensitivity
91dB/2.83V/1m

Crossover Frequency
1.6kHz

Minimum Recommended Power
30W

Max Power Input
200W

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Andrew seems to be continuing the Jim Thiel, coherent source philosophy of speaker design. I'm glad someone is.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I still haven't upgraded to overhead Atmos speakers, though I've been intending to for years. The ceiling in my HT is fairly low, and I have large front speakers they sit on, so they're above seated ear level. The upfiring speakers are ELAC ones that Andrew Jones designed. Plus, my main speakers produce an extremely large soundstage. Since so many other aspects of the room are pretty ideal, I have wondered how much improvement in-ceiling ones will be, though I suspect once I finally do that, I'll be glad I did.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The speakers have been released.

Here is Andrew Jones unboxing the Mofi Sourcepoint 10 while being interviewed at Steve Guttenberg's house:

Here is Steve Gutteberg's review of the Mofi Sourcepoint 10:

For those who don't want to watch the videos, Andrew's new line from MoFi came out. These very large "bookshelf" speakers have a 10" woofer/midrange with a tweeter in the middle concentrically. They cost $3,699/pair.

ELECTRICAL SPECS

Frequency Response

42Hz-30kHz

Nominal Impedance
8 Ohms, 6.2 Ohms minimum

Sensitivity
91dB/2.83V/1m

Crossover Frequency
1.6kHz

Minimum Recommended Power
30W

Max Power Input
200W

Hmmm... interesting... Had no idea the Audiophiliac is actually (somewhere) here in the BK. Wonder where... though I doubt I'd ever actually bump into him, haha...

Wonder if I should seriously consider something like this new speaker for my eventual, larger "home office" plus bedroom combo space, heh -- not actually big, but bigger anyhow at ~17x10ft (w/ ~10ft ceiling) -- instead of sticking w/ my cheap, Monoprice towers paired w/ SVS SB1000s.

I still haven't upgraded to overhead Atmos speakers, though I've been intending to for years. The ceiling in my HT is fairly low, and I have large front speakers they sit on, so they're above seated ear level. The upfiring speakers are ELAC ones that Andrew Jones designed. Plus, my main speakers produce an extremely large soundstage. Since so many other aspects of the room are pretty ideal, I have wondered how much improvement in-ceiling ones will be, though I suspect once I finally do that, I'll be glad I did.

Maybe I should get back to considering/trying Atmos again (w/ the inexpensive, RSL in-ceiling speakers I still have in storage) after I make my anticipated move this coming summer... though not sure how I'd actually do that w/ ~10ft ceiling (I don't really wanna break/redo) in a mere ~15x15ft space -- maybe I should look into installing a drop ceiling or something, which might also help dampen some of the sound between floors. The squarer space will likely also be problematic though, especially for bass I guess -- I had originally thought it would be bigger and not quite so square-ish, but alas...

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

1713010548125.png

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah. I’m happy the guy is enjoying his career but I wish he had continued to innovate in the area of making great bang for the buck gear.

I have long fantasized about starting a business to exclusively sell American made high quality low cost speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks