What's new

Intermediate, looking for a quick fix. (1 Viewer)

krixx

Grip
Real Name
Christian
I know I'm committing HTF Sacrilege by mentioning this but the question is regarding a HTiB. As far as my own experience goes, I am an intermediate audiophile for the most part. Recently purchased a Samsung 50" Plasma, and am looking to upgrade my very old and outdated Koss dvd 600w system. My main problem, as is usually the case, is cost. Short story: Looking for a simple quick fix with the most bang for my buck. I unfortunately can’t purchase anything pricey right of the bat, (build my own system etc) and am limiting myself to HTiB's offered on websites with a monthly payment plans that can hold its own for another 4-5 years. For some time now, I've been eyeing the Samsung ht-6730 models since they’ve gotten (for the most part) good reviews from "experts" and offered a pretty bare bone set of features : blu ray, online streaming etc. http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-theater/HT-C6730W/XAA-specs The later released model seems to offer very similar features with the addition of 3D (which I have no interest in), and implementing the full 7.1 INTO the front ‘tallboy’ speakers. (Is this really a better feature? Why is older discontinued model more expensive everywhere?) http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-theater/HT-D6730W/ZA-specs Both systems have a $50+/- price difference. Basically…I’m looking for someone to say “You know what? For what you want, yes. The sound on this HTiB is the best you’ll get for that price point/monthly payments etc.” So that you see what I see, these seem to be my only options: http://www.shopnbc.com/Computers_and_Electronics/Audio/Default.aspx?page=LIST&category=Computers%20%26%20Electronics|t321&prop=Audio|2273&prop=Home%20Theater%20Systems|1009&catprop=1009&cm_re=DN-_-CompElec-_-HomeTheater but I’m willing to bend on this, and screw the pay monthly deal if it’ll really help me in the long run. Currently own: Xbox 360 Nintendo Wii Wireless internet

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll give you my normal speech - if you have to finance your stereo, you can't afford it. My advice is don't do it until you can afford it. Assuming you will get it anyway, I will try to help if I can. :D What is the actual price of these systems? Your link goes to a blank search page.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Samsung is not known for their receivers, and both of those models have passive subs. Also, those tall boys are just satellites in a tall, skinny, housing. So, neither system excites me. To save money and get a better system I'd go with this: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S6300-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003IT49LG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311073938&sr=8-2

krixx

Grip
Real Name
Christian
@ David. Yea. I've given myself this speech a million times. :/ I just tried crunchin numbers, and I really saw this as the only 'short term' option. Of course, unless I just decide to take that "financing" money, and save it up for a month or two. I really just wanted to pay it off little by little to soften the blow. Just moved into new place a lil under a year, and gettin it all outta the way. Figured with new carpeting, I'd go below rug once and for all. The fact that my current system is actin up pretty bad doesnt help either. For record tho, the C6730 got best of show 2010 blah blah blah and goes anywhere from $629-$749 but is discontinued, so a lot of refurbs out there, and no chance to finance obviously. The D6730 retails from $700 - $749, and is almost identical with the addition (or subtraction) of two speakers which as AI.A mentioned below are just stuck into the tallboys, and a 3d Bluray player. @ A.I: The HT5300 was actually my top choice, so I’m glad u pointed out the 6300. Sweet systems. Because I had to add my own bluray player, it brought my numbers way over the $100 a month for the above system. haha Advice heeded though.. I may just hold out if itll really make that big a difference. Since I find nothing wrong (audio wise) with my current system, I figured ANYthing better would blow me away. I'll weigh out my options a little more. Thnx, man.

krixx

Grip
Real Name
Christian
I decided to stick with my original choice and AI's recommendation of the Onkyo 6300. I've been doin my homework, but I'm sure your answers would be a lot more through, and streamlined. What would be the best blu ray player within the 100-200 range? I noticed that in this very forum, the Sony BDP S350 is the #3 choice in players. Do those numbers still stand? It's on amazon for as low as $60. Should I be worried? :D Was looking at the Panasonic BDT210 as well. Any suggestions? I'd like to have it wifi capable (hulu, etc) since I'd prefer it in the player than the tv. (dongles, etc.) Speed in loading the discs isnt that big an issue, and picture quality seems to be pretty standard across the board from what ive heard/seen. Help would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks