What's new

infous X1 and Sanyo PLV-Z1 (1 Viewer)

Chris SS

Auditioning
First of all I would like to thank everyone for their informative posts here at HTF, a truly invaluable source of information.

After reading many comments here and other places regarding the Infocus X1, I chose it as my very first projector. Out of the box I was impressed - vibrant image with very good detail - but then...rainbows.
I stuck with it for a few day - adjusting settings, which did lessen the rainbows a little, but they were always there - I was starting to get headaches and really couldn’t watch a movie in comfort. My wife and friends also seen the rainbows and although distracting to them, they didn’t get headaches.

All I can say is that in my book DLP is a none starter. If you don’t see the rainbows (lucky you), and you NEVER plan on showing movies to anyone else then it’s a great product, but if others are going to be guests to you screenings - some of them will always see rainbows.

So it was good buy to the X1 (sorry Infocus), and hello to the SANYO PLV-Z1.

I was worried about screen door effect and image quality of LCD, but it was my only real choice after DLP. The Sanyo is a great projector, that delivers a superb image. Screen door isn’t visible at normal viewing distances, and image quality is spot on and of course no rainbow problem with LCD.

So the Sanyo is a keeper- my family and friends can watch big screen movies in total comfort (and no headaches). Thank you Sanyo for making a great home theater projector.

Enjoy,

Chris.
:star:

Edit:June 13 2003

Just installed a Toshiba progressive scan component output DVD player. This increased both contrast and detail. Used Se7en DVD as a test movie - Dark areas are much better defined with better detail in shadows. Lighter scenes are very sharp and detailed with rich vivid colors.

If you are serious about FP then you should go with component input, it really brings out the best in the source material. Very Recommmended.

Setup so far:

Projector: Sanyo Z1 (on home-made ceiling mount) $1499 (inc 2nd bulb)- projectorpeople.com
DVD: Toshiba SD3900 $99 - Best buy
Reciever: Kenwood Dolby/DTS Digital 100 Watt X 5 $160 - Best buy
5 Sony Surround speakers (already owned)
Sub: KLH 100 Watt $89 - Best buy
Screen: 41" x 83" White flat wall,with home made black cloth frame - $2 Wall-Mart

As you can see this setup was made on a budget, and as my first true home theater, it rocks pretty good ! I love it.

Enjoy.

Chris SS

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Yours is the second such review regarding the X1 and Z1 in the last few days. The moral of this is to demo a projector if you can before committing to it. As for DLP, as the colour wheel speeds and segments increase, the rainbows decrease.

Ton_A

Auditioning
Hi Chris

What kind of screen are you using for the Z1? I am thinking about this over the L200 Panny for the simple reason of increased resolution over the l200.
Do you do watch regular TV through the projector? I plan on viewing DISH Network over the PJ.
1 Last thing, do you have any screen shots from your PJ?

Thanks!!

Tony

Chris SS

Auditioning
At the moment I`m using a white flat wall, with a 3" black cloth border around the image . I must say i`m very impressed with the image, even just on a wall. Visitors don`t beleive it`s the wall untill they see it with the projector off :)

The video comes from a Philips DVD player using S-video cable at the moment, but I will be putting in a new DVD with component output any day now.

No pics as yet- working on it. I may even take some home video of it running and make this available as Mpeg if anyone is interested.

Well It`s been about a week with the Z1 and i`m still very happy with it, we watched LOTR Special Edition last night and my wife said "...this is really amazing, I could never watch this on a TV now..."

Other comments made by friends and family on the Z1 image...

"what the...(jaw drop)..."
"is that a plasma?"
"...very nice..."
"..wow.."
"...feel like I was just at the movies...." -after watching matrix
"can we watch another.."
"when are you gonna watch another?"
"I`m getting one of these "

bad comments so far....
"your watching another..?" (wife)
"your out here again?" (wife)
"close the door!" (was letting light in..)

Chris SS:D

Ton_A

Auditioning
Hey Chris-Thanks for the info!
Do you watch any type of TV through it? That's my one hang up now, if it doens't do well with DISH I may have to pass on it :frowning:

Tony

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Chris, I loved your quotes from the friends and family. But I loved the ones your wife gave the most, really made me laugh. I guess because it let me know that I'm not the only one who has to hear that from his woman.:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks