What's new

Indy Jones Remastered LDs? (1 Viewer)

Christian Dolan

Stunt Coordinator
Hey.

Anyone remember the specs on that "phantom" remastered LD set of the Indiana Jones trilogy that got recalled? I'm curious about what to (hopefully) expect in the DVD, whenever that manifests for real.

thanks,

christian

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
First, the discs were never recalled, they were outright cancelled.

According to the press release from August 24, 1999:

First Time in DD Surround Sound.

New interviews with George Lucas, Steven Speilberg and Harrison Ford.

Remastered Widescreen Editions.

The DVDs, if they ever happen will likely include DD 5.1 EX*,More interviews than planned for the laser disc set, and new anamorphic prints.

Daniel L

* There a slim chance they would be DTS, but since Lucas controls the films,it is unlikely.

DanR

Supporting Actor
I don't know about you guys, but the whole lot of these people and companies that control both this and Indy 4 can basically go screw themselves. It's all a bunch of finger pointing and lip service, and the fans lose in the process. You know, there's an initial period where waiting makes interest rise, but there's also a point where people reach the end of caring about what happens.
There's no solid info which points to us even seeing these in 2002. You know what, they cancelled the Laserdiscs mentioned in the topic header, but they never released DVDs. I can only assume they want us to watch these films on VHS. To that I say with all due respect that they go stick their VHS tapes and players right up their asses.
Glad I didn't hold back there. :)
Regards,
Dan

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
You know, there's an initial period where waiting makes interest rise, but there's also a point where people reach the end of caring about what happens.
Dan, I don't believe that anyone has stopped caring about what happens. Apparently you cared enough to post, no? ;) When the DVDs are finally made available they will probably break sales records.
I understand your frustration, though. I'm looking forward to having the Indy movies on DVD. The Digital Bits reported that Paramount will be releasing "Raiders" in 2002. When the other ones come out is anyone's guess. I'm sure we will be presented with the choice of buying a box set.
For now, I'll continue to watch the pro-logic laserdiscs, which look and sound fantastic. Especially in pro-logic II.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Don't get me wrong. I will of course buy these when they are released, but I'm tired of this finger pointing and rumors crap like at the Bits (who predicts Indy Jones is coming every single year, but it never happens). When it happens, it happens. Until then, like I said, those in control of this franchise can stick all of their negotiations, posturing, and bullcrap right up their asses.
BTW, I'm having a really bad day today. So bear with me. :)
Regards,
Dan

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I to am tired of waiting. I do want Indy on DVD, it is still my all time favorite set of films. I will continue to wait, but in the mean time, Mr. Lucas and Speilburg should know, my list of wants and must haves contiues to grow, and The trilogy has started to slide down the list, ever so slightly.
At least, that is what I tell myself. I did rush out and preorder Episode One the first day it was announced.
Oh, and the first film in the trilogy, is Raiders of the Lost Ark. It is not Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. :) A bonus would be having the Young Indy on DVD as well.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Don't get me wrong. I will of course buy these when they are released, but I'm tired of this finger pointing and rumors crap like at the Bits (who predicts Indy Jones is coming every single year, but it never happens). When it happens, it happens
Dan, the day can only get better from here, it's ok to vent. :) I know what you mean, I'm anxously awaiting this trilogy and the "Back to the Future" trilogy (what is with the trilogies not being released on DVD?). I keep reading that BTTF is supposed to get a DVD release, but nothing has come to fruition. Hell, I passed on the LDs several times because I'm holding hope that they will be out soon.
The only thing I was trying to point out is that although we all grow impatient, we are going to buy these up as soon as they are released. I know I will. When I heard that the LD set of Indy was canceled, I was hoping it was canceled to make way for the DVD. I sure was wrong. I wish the LDs would have come out. I'm wondering what that sound would have been like on those.

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
What pisses me off is that stupid WS VHS set. Why in the hell would you release an inferior product to little or no interest of the consumer? It's a rhetorical question because I think I know the answer. Lucas still wants to tamper with the films. It started with the Raiders name change, next will be the 'reimagining' of the well of souls scene. Then what will sure to piss off many of fans, he will make the swordsman attack first....:angry: Then and only after another theatrical release in 2003 will we see the DVD. Will it be worth wait?

Mick Wright

Second Unit
You may be right Mathew. I saw Raiders in 70mm a while back, and a few days afterward I watched the laser disc. I was surprised to realise that the storm clouds we see during the opening of the Well of the Souls had been cgi'd for the laser disc. The 70mm print was so much cooler even though the clouds were an obvious composite, and they had matte lines. The original effects seemed more "of the time". I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this.

Christian Dolan

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, Mick, I doubt that they did any CG work on Raiders (especially without obsessives like us finding out):b. The matte lines (an unavoidable artifact from the optical printing days) are probably just that much more obvious on the big screen. Those clouds were created by pumping dye (or some other coloring agent) into a backlit water tank.

-christian

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Geez, Mathew's theory fits the known facts. That's scary! I'm quickly getting tired of revisionst cinema. Indy shot first, I like BLADE RUNNER's narative, The changes to STAR TREK TMP didn't really help anything, the additions to SWPM were trivial, these guys need to leave well enough alone.
I had the LD's preordered. I wish they had released. I really don't want revised versions. Lucas must be really anal, he never leaves well enough alone...seemingly.
What's next? A revised politically correct HOWARD THE DUCK? :b

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
Tom, wasn't the WS VHS release around the same time as the proposed special edition laser discs? I seem to remember some debate on this. This would mean that the cancellation of the laserdisc set was a supposed precursor to the soon to be released DVD set....which of course never happened. Instead we were only given crappy VHS. The discerning videophile at the time (i.e. widescreen only) would of only excepted laserdisc or DVD. I have a hard time believing that these WS VHS sets have sold all that well. I know I've passed on them.

Mick Wright

Second Unit
Actually, Mick, I doubt that they did any CG work on Raiders (especially without obsessives like us finding out). The matte lines (an unavoidable artifact from the optical printing days) are probably just that much more obvious on the big screen. Those clouds were created by pumping dye (or some other coloring agent) into a backlit water tank.
You may be right, but I don't think they just recomposited the same shot for the laser disc. It looks to me like they created an entirely new shot using computer graphics, it's way too clean. It wouldn't be the first time G.Lucas has done something like that, he altered the opening shot of American Graffiti for the dvd.

Gruson

Second Unit
There is no CG on the laserdisc release of Raiders.

I really hope they keep the original title of Raiders too.

They better not add any stupid CG effects for the release or I will lose my mind. Star Wars and E.T. have already been butchered enough.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
wasn't the WS VHS release around the same time as the proposed special edition laser discs?
Mathew, you are right. The VHS trilogy was released and then the laserdiscs were supposed to have been released. I remember almost purchasing the VHS set, but I didn't because I found out that they were supposed to be released on laserdisc.

After the LDs were canceled, I thought for sure that the DVDs were coming. I can see releasing the them on tape then, but not now. With the popularity of DVD being what it is, you would think that someone would want to release the DVDs.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Hey did you guys see that link on Cinescape where they ask Spielberg about Indy 4? Looks like hes pointing the finger at Paramount regarding it being getting made.Who are we to believe?Anyone got inside inside info they would like to share?I find mself in the same boat as DanR,waiting angry but patiently...:D

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about you guys, but the whole lot of these people and companies that control both this and Indy 4 can basically go screw themselves. It's all a bunch of finger pointing and lip service, and the fans lose in the process. You know, there's an initial period where waiting makes interest rise, but there's also a point where people reach the end of caring about what happens.

Yeah, when these puppies ship over 2 million units in their first week Paramount and Lucasfilm will really be crying in their coffee.

It's called patience. Look into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks