What's new

In light of US tragedy, I need sports. I hope games resume soon. (1 Viewer)

Mitty

Supporting Actor
The most telling paragraph of the article for me is this, emphasis mine:
The notion of not changing any of your daily routine in any way under the blanket statement of "if we do, they win" is, to my thinking, simply a justification for callousness.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Update: The Big XII has cancelled/postponed all sports events through Sunday.
I can fully understand, and totally agree with the fact that we have to, in the near future, begin to get back to some sense on normalcy (and we will). But not because "this will show those evil bastards...". Rather, because it is the next step in the process.
Do you honestly think these sub-humans are sitting around cheering when the NFL Commissioner announces postponing/cancelling NFL games? Conversely, do you honestly think the sight of 70,000 at an NCAA football game will strike fear in our enemy with the realization that they have have not succeeded.
Guess what? They already did succeed. They accomplished all they could have hoped for and more. They brought unimaginable pain to an untold number of Americans, and indeed, citizens from every corner of the globe. There is no way to measure the fear and uncertainty created throughout the world. The world views forever changed, the innocence lost.
The diversions, such as sports, which we all enjoy, will return. It is an integral part of the healing.
If I see tens of thousands at a NASCAR event this weekend, my thoughts won't be that these people are uncaring. Everybody is different, and if this gathering is cathartic and healing to many, that is understandable.
My greatest fear at this point, is that some may not fully comprehend the magnitude of what happened Sept. 11, 2001. America and the world have been forever changed. The decision to cancel/postpone or continue on with a sports event in the next few days is meaningless.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If life was a football game, the loss of this week's sporting event is a timeout after the other team just hit us with a 80-yard TD bomb. It's not that significant in the grand theme of things. 6 months from now, no one is going to care that the Super Bowl was a week late, and the college bowl games will take place near the start of the New Year, as always. Those that keep saying that the terrorists have accomplished what they wanted are forgetting that all they have done is awaken a sleeping giant who will have retribution on the terrorists. We're talking blitzing on every down, taking out each QB that's put in there, and then churning out long drives which will demoralize the spirit of the opposing forces of evil in this world.
It's nowhere near the 4th quarter, so kick back, enjoy the beginning of fall, take a walk in the fresh air with your loved ones, communicate with them on a personal level, never let them doubt your commitment to them and their place in this world.
If you're looking for some diversions to all of this, pop in a DVD and try to enjoy yourself, but never forget that the price of your freedom will come on the backs of those who will hunt down and punish the terrorists with extreme prejudice.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Baseball has been postponed til Monday. All games will be made up. The World Series will be played in November.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm disgusted that the NFL and MLB have cancelled their games. The NFL players have been very outspoken in not wanting to play this week. Maybe I should go into work tomorrow and try the same thing with MY boss.
Everyone I know seems willing to try and move forward. I suppose that doesn't hold true for these millionaire athletes.
I have several more opinions on this issue but I really don't feel like being flamed, so I'll just leave it at that.
------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I think for the athletes, they're concerned with having to fly so soon after. It doesn't hurt to wait another week.
Plus, the U.S. will observe a symbolic day of mourning tomorrow, the NFL will do so on Sunday, on the only day it will be meaningful. The symbolic gesture of players skipping practice tomorrow just isn't meaningful.
I think history will look well upon these decisions made by MLB and the NFL. For future generations of sports fans, knowing that MLB cancelled games for the first time since WWII will show the gravity of the events on September 11th.
[Edited last by Mitty on September 13, 2001 at 05:28 PM]

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Those that keep saying that the terrorists have accomplished what they wanted are forgetting...
No. I am being very careful what I say, as I want to abide by the admin's wishes and don't wish to step over the line. I tried to remain on topic as best I could, it is extremely difficult.
As such, I didn't go into what needs to happen next. I have a very good understanding of what needs to happen next.
I hope the powers that be have a coherent game plan which will lead to a victory for the Home team and the intestinal fortitude to enact it.
Play Like A Champion Today !

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The New York Jets players expressed uneasiness about flying out to Oakland for the game scheduled against the Raiders on Sunday. Players for the Raiders seemed to be understanding of the Jets' players' point of view.
Mike, on one level, this does seem like a safe time to fly, however, psychologically, I can understand why anyone might be trepidacious about flying right now. The image of planes striking the World Trade Center is fresh in everyone's mind. Furthermore, some people may be asking themselves, "Is this really over?" I can understand why a player for the New York Jets would rather be at home with his family rather than on a cross-country flight right now. Remember, all four planes that crashed on Tuesday were heading from the east coast to the west coast. Psychologically, that might be too much for some, including football players, to deal with right now.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
At first I supported an attempt to "return to normalcy" but after living the last few days, I realize you cannot simply do so. I respect the decision of every major sports league to suspend play until Monday. To me, this is not only respectful of the victims of the tragedy, but also common sense as the air-travel scenario is a nightmare right now. My roommate is stuck in Oklahoma on business. she was supposed to fly back Wed. but will be lucky to be on a plane tomorrow, probably Saturday. I want the flights this weekend to concentrate on bringing loved ones home, not players to a stadium.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm disgusted that the NFL and MLB have cancelled their games. The NFL players have been very outspoken in not wanting to play this week. Maybe I should go into work tomorrow and try the same thing with MY boss.
Would YOUR boss ask you to fly cross-country for your job during this crisis? I doubt that any company would ask this of its employees right now.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My company has many people who fly all over the country to conduct business. My company has suspended all flying trips by employees. So yes, if your job entailed flying, it's quite practical to tell your company that you don't feel like flying at this moment in time, and they'd more than likely understand your concerns for your safety.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Eric Wickitt

Agent
I think Mark McGuire summed it up pretty nicely in a quote I heard on tonight's news something like " any team or any franchise that even thinks about taking the field this weekend is crazy, it's asinine to even consider"
I like sports too, but this weekend, there are other things to reflect upon, and pay tribute to.

James St

Supporting Actor
A quick update on the NCAA football games. The SEC said Wednesday all games will be played but after the cancellation announcements from the NFL and other NCAA conferences they have decided to cancel all games.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eric, I read Mark McGwire's sentiments on espn.com last night. I give him credit for being so outspoken given the situation. All too often, people assume that celebrities are uncaring and are fully caught up in their own world (huge egos and all). They are people just like all of us. If you watched the news yesterday, you saw that President Bush was almost in tears when speaking of the tragedy and the job he has to do. No matter one's income or status in our society, I have to believe that all Americans feel pain from this tragedy as well as resolve to do something about it.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on September 14, 2001 at 07:15 AM]

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I think cancelling the games at a time when the teams couldn't fly even if they wanted to, and while the country was still absorbing the shock was both prudent and appropriate. But I also think that resuming play next week, now that the immediate crisis has passed, is terribly important. The two events that will most clearly signal that the terrorists have done nothing more than make America pause for a moment are going to be the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange and the first pitch at the first Major League Baseball game that gets underway on Monday. Play ball!
Regards,
Joe
------------------

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
now that the immediate crisis has passed
I wish this were true. Still over 4,000 people missing and unaccounted for. Last night 10 people were arrested or detained at airports with fake passports, knives and open tickets from Sept. 11th. This is hardly over and many terrible days still await us. Sports powers were absolutely right in their decisions to shut things down.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
quote: I wish this were true. Still over 4,000 people missing and unaccounted for. Last night 10 people were arrested or detained at airports with fake passports, knives and open tickets from Sept. 11th.[/quote]
Sadly the figure is undoubtedly higher, as the 4700 figure only represents those who have been specifically reported as missing by friends and loved ones, in person at the armory. There must be many thousands of others who don't have friends or family in the New York area to report them, or who were in the complex on some last minute errand that no one knew about and may not have been missed in all the chaos. Still, the immediate crisis for the nation is over. The people who may or may not be trapped will be rescued or they won't. Either way they will mostly cease to be missing within the week, and even those never found or identified will be listed as presumed dead.
As for those "arrests" - with the possible exception of one man, there weren't any. The people were reported as suspicious, taken into custody and questioned before being released (with that one possible exception who may have an unrelated immigration problem.) None of them were in any way connected with the hijackings, and only one of them appears to have been carrying anything resembling a knife (apparently a pocket knife of the kind that I used to carry on my keychain for crying out loud, and which I often forgot was there.)
One of the big problems with this story is that the news channels, competing for ratings if nothing else, are going on the air with every half-baked rumor instead of waiting for confirmation and exercising any kind of editorial judgment. Maybe the equally bogus story about a woman receiving a cellphone call from her policeman husband, supposedly trapped in the wreckage with 9 or 10 other cops - which was also widely broadcast before being identified as a hoax - has taught them the value of restraint. (I'm sure it has also taught the woman a valuable lesson; she remains in custody charged with filing a false police report and reckless endangerment. Her urgent call caused rescue workers to move to a different part of the complex - putting them at greater risk and delaying - perhaps preventing - the possible rescue of anyone who might have been alive in the area where they were working. The Manhattan D.A.'s office is combing the statute books to see if there is anything else that they can charge her with, since the Mayor is determined to make an example of her. :))
Regards,
Joe
------------------
[Edited last by Joseph DeMartino on September 14, 2001 at 08:38 PM]

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
CART is racing in germany this weekend. And Formula 1 is racing in Italy. Ferrari is removing all advertising from their cars and jump suits and have replaced the nose cone with a black one. There will also be no Ferrari championship party this weekend. The indy F1 race is in 2 weeks and some of the teams and drivers don't want to fly here. But they haven't cancelled it yet.
------------------
Michael Alletto
Mike's DVD List
Link Removed
[Edited last by MikeAlletto on September 14, 2001 at 08:44 PM]

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
the Canadian Football League, after stating that all games will be played on schedule this weekend, has now postponed them to a future date.
Personally I'd really like to see things continue as usual. I think it would really unite humanity and really show those responsible who's boss and who can bounce back. However the logistics, as someone has mentioned, are not feasible. Especially the Jets Raiders game. People should not be required to put themselves in what they feel as obvious danger to perform their jobs.
As for a distraction? I think there's plenty other things I can do instead to take my mind off the events. I have mourned in my own way. The most of it, I hope, is over. Everyone should be given the chance to mourn in their own way as well.
[Edited last by Paul McGowan on September 15, 2001 at 12:59 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks