What's new

In box cables vs store bought (1 Viewer)

ChrisBoyde

Auditioning
Right now i'm using some no-name S-video cable that came with my dvd player or tv (can't really remember which). I have just a regular 27" stereo tv and a dvd player. No fancy HDTV stuff or progressive scan. Anyway my question is would I notice any difference if I was to use something like this
http://www.futureshop.ca/marketing/v...r_Monster_Main

or perhaps something else that someone could recommend that would improve the image.

I have a feeling that it's not going to matter with a non HDTV but I would just like to know for sure.

Also my sub has dual audio input rca jacks (red and white) while my reciver only has the single mono output. In the manual it says to just leave one conector off the sub and to get a Y-cable later. Is there a difference with the Y-cable or should I just leave it like it is?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Probably not Chris. I know the in-box ones are somewhat flimsy looking but unless they're damaged are likely doing a completely adequate job in transmitting the signal to your TV. If you've got a local Target or other large department store, one that's got a consumer friendly return policy, you could certainly buy an S-Video cable that 'looked' better such as an RCA or something like that for substantially less. The thing with this THX specification is that no one knows what it means as the organization hasn't published these specs or requirements for public consumption. I think you could buy something comparable to the Monster's for substantially less. Probably, while you're patiently putting together cash for a new display and DVD player, you can pick up some contact cleaner and some lint-free swabs and maintain your connections. Even if you decide that you want to 'upgrade' your cables, I still wouldn't junk the freebies. Cables have this way of being misused and in those cases, they'll be an invaluable bailout for you.

Regarding getting a 'Y' adapter, it'd depend upon your sub. For some, using both L & R inputs (as opposed to
only one of them in mono) results in a 6db gain such as in certain Paradigm (maybe all?) models. However, since you would be calibrating your system (get yourself a RS SPL meter if you don't have one...analogue), it all evens out.

ChrisBoyde

Auditioning
In my subs manual (Quest SW-880) it says "It is recommended to use a Y-adapter, to maximize the sub woofers performance" so would this mean that a Y-adapter or cable give the 6db increase?

and one more thing I'm using just a regualar rca video cable for my digital coax connection. I guess the same thing applies to this as the s-video cable?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
y-adapters are cheap enough so you might as well put one on. the 6dB gain comes from the cable only in the sense that it's feeding the amp inside the sub.
you could use a coat hanger for digital and it'd work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks