What's new

Imitation of Life - Franchise Collection? (1 Viewer)

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
Did anyone get this this week? I was wondering is it 2 discs. Is the transfer of the Lana Turner one the same as the individual release? I'd love to hear any details. :)

Jodee

Screenwriter
Just received mine in the mail. Haven't watched it yet. The 1959 version says Anamorphic Widescreen-- not sure if that is a new transfer or not. I think the last DVD was anamorphic, but I'm not sure.

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone confirm if this is an improved transfer of the 1958 film? I was disappointed with the transfer of the previous release...

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator
The problem seems to be with the source material rather than the tansfer. The quality varies from reel to reel, but some of it is pretty bad. (I watched the first disc last month).

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator

That's how I saw it, but I don't understand how it could vary SO much from reel to reel. It almost looks like some reels got a digital clean up or restoration and then they dropped the ball on alternate reels. There are some long segments (that would be the length of a reel) that the quality just doesn't bounce back. The "first reel" is quite good, smooth and film like, colors and detail really good, and not any scratches or a speck of dirt to speak of. Then starting with the "second reel" it dramatically changes and the EXTREME opposite becomes the case. I can't believe the film elements would be so opposite to produce something that goes from so clean with digital clean up or restoration to so rough with the same digital clean up or restoration.

Very sad they didn't bother to acknowledge this with a new master for this second release.

How is the Claudette Colbert version? I still may buy it for that.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Several years ago, I saw what was purported to be a new fresh print of Imitation Of Life at a Los Angeles revival house. The print still looked in pretty average shape. The DVD looks much better than that "new" print. Still, if you've seen the eye popping Criterion transfers of All That Heaven Allows and Written On The Wind, the Imitation Of Life transfer is bound to be disappointed if still highly watchable. We've been spoiled.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks