What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
One of the most popular American novelists following WWI and one of the most widely read female novelists of the 20th Century, Fannie Hurst’s work combined the romantic and sentimental with the pressing social issues of her time. Her novels also proved to be great material for Hollywood to adapt to film, with Back Street (1931) getting filmed three times in 1932, 1941 and 1961, and Imitation of Life (1933) getting the silver screen treatment twice, with the first coming a year after the novel’s publication. The 1934 version, directed by John M. Stahl, has gotten the Criterion Collection treatment here on Blu-ray, having been previously released on Blu by Universal alongside Douglas Sirk’s more widely known 1959 remake.

Imitation of Life (1934)

Released: 26 Nov 1934...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Was the missing original titles on the earlier Blu ray, or are they lost to time?
I can't say, since I don't have the earlier Blu-ray of both versions. I do have the earlier Universal Legacy Collection DVD of both versions, but it's been ages since I viewed it.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I'll most definitely be picking this up. I'm surprised Criterion didn't pick up the remake. It was directed by Douglas Sirk and they've released "Written on the Wind", "All That Heaven Allows" and "Magnificent Obsession" which are also Universal/Sirk films.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Love Susan Kohner in the remake as SaraJane ! And no one gives GLAMOUR like Lana Turner in the remake !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks