What's new

I'm asking for a friend, about McIntosh? (1 Viewer)

Bolivar G

Second Unit
He wants me to find out where he can get a McIntosh MX132 for a good deal.
Since he found how much I saved on my gear getting it online. He still hasnt moved into the online revolution.

I'm not to familer with McIntosh products, hoping you smart ppl here have any info for me to pass to him:)
Basically the question is, anyone know where to get a McItosh MX132 cheap?;)
Thanks for any info u can provide.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Mcintosh doesn't allow their products to be sold online, but you'll find a lot of products on ebay.

Daniel Smith

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Also, McIntosh has a strict no-discount policy. It's the grandaddy of high-end brands (established in 1949), and all the company's products are still handcrafted. McIntosh works to preserve this mystique. You will not find new McIntosh preamps, amps, receivers, or speakers on the cheap.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I use to own a McIntosh MX-130 at one time and I kick myself for trading it in just to have DD and DTS. And I agree with Jack,
It's the grandaddy of high-end brands (established in 1949), and all the company's products are still handcrafted. McIntosh works to preserve this mystique
If I had the money to get back into some McIntosh gear WOW my system would kick godzilla;s A-- LMAO. There are a few dealers in the Los Angeles are but I agree that McIntosh does not sale online.

Audio Concepts in San Gabriel, Ca and Long Beach, CA

Shelly's Stereo on Topanga Canyon in Canoga Park I believe?

Both of these carry McIntosh, hope this helps?

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
In my experience, I liken McIntosh to Mercedes. By this, I mean there is a tiny, if any, discount from your dealer, you may be able to find similar quality for a lower price from another manufacturer, and the manufacturer is very exclusive in where you buy/how you service the product. But at the same time, the quality is unquestionable, the service and support from the local dealer is outstanding, the resell value is top of the line, and there is a certain pride of ownership that comes with it. That being said, McIntosh gear is a great investment IF you can afford it. If you have to stretch your budget considerably, you are better off looking for alternatives.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
I will tell him this. He saw how much below retail I was getting Denon, paradigm, etc. But that kind of stuff is different, its more mass market.
McIntosh is out of my league, but not his.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
McIntosh is out of my leauge as well at least for now until I go to school and incress my earning potential, lol. I am also looking at a Denon to replace my Yamaha for now. He cant go wrong with a McItosh :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Interesting, too, because you can see where all that effort at quality goes. McIntosh, despite some stiff competition throughout the years, retains that edge when it comes to quality of parts and craftsmanship.

I'd say "elegant," but I'll never forget my first impression of seeing an MC2300 firsthand in 1971. (Call it "brutal elegance.")

I've owned vintage Marantz and Audio Research gear, but McIntosh always seemed to be in a class to itself. (Krell has had a "higher-end" reputation for some time, but I doubt its products would ever command the lasting value of McIntosh.)

Ian Lascell

Agent
Try Audio Classics. They are right down the street from McIntosh (in Binghamton, NY) and have walls of their used and new amps. These are their specialty. I can't tell you what their prices will be like, but I'm sure you can deal with them over the web or by phone. They do a lot of shipping. I have bought my B&W speakers from them and they are honest people to deal with.

Their website: www.audioclassics.com

Alex F.

Second Unit
McIntosh dealers routinely sell discontinued Mac products at a modest discount--about 15-20% off list. (The MX132 was discontinued about a year ago; it was replaced by the MX134, which sells for $7000.)

As Ian said, Audio Classics is indeed a good source for Mac gear. They mailorder used, discontinued, and, occasionally, factory-reconditioned McIntosh gear. I have never made a purchase from them myself, but I do know of friends who have and they were very pleased with the firm's service.

McIntosh equipment is most certainly of exceptional quality. I could not be more pleased with the superb craftsmanship and audio performance of my MA6500 integrated amp, which I purchased last year.

Have a nice weekend!

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Thanks for the info. I also printed out some Audiogon and Ebay auctions for him. Now I hate explaining how the whole auction process works:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks