What's new

Illegal to sell email information? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Here's a question. I got a spam telling me to buy a CD with thousands of emails on it. Is it illegal to sell peoples information like this? And if it is, where can I report this idiot?

Jason Handy

Second Unit
I can't see any reason why it is illegal. Loads of unsuspecting people sign up for web sites every day and forget to uncheck those boxes at the bottom of the page. My understanding was that it is not considered private information and is publicly available, especially if the person has consented (even if passively consenting) to the information being released.

Jason

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Companies sell list of addresses to other companies all the time. It's how you end up with so much junk mail. I doubt it's illegal to do the same with e-mail addresses. Thus the check box, you can share this info with other companys... which is almost always checked by defualt on most online forms.

Brian

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I don't know about selling the info but sending unsolicited commercial email to residents of Washington State (where I live) is illegal unless you follow strict guidelines. You can be sued for $500 per message you send.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks