What's new

i'd like to find a GOOD mechanical pencil (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
...what the title says. ive had my share of mechanical pencils that suck. i bought a 2 pack from staples for $7, figuring that if one broke i could rely on the other one through the rest of the semester. well, after 2 weeks, niether worked. i wouldnt mind spending a little bit more money on a pencil i knew would, imagine this, WORK. i'd prefer 0.7 mm diameter, the 0.5 seems to break too often, maybe i use too much force when i write. anyway, thanks in advance.

CJ

chris_everett

Second Unit
Well, it's way more money, but I've had a CROSS pen and pencil set for 7 years and they still work great. I am careful with them though. There are some .7s available for drafting that are quite well made as well (I have one but it has no brand name on it, and I can't remember where I got it.) A place that sells art supplies (or any drafting or architecture supply place) would be a good place to look

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Get the Pilot G-2. They come in .07mm and .05mm. Pilot makes the best pens and mechanical pencils around!

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I really like the Pilot "Dr Grip" pencils. Without having to pay big bucks for a pencil, it really does a nice job.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Visit the bookstore at the nearest university with a school of engineering. The best pocket protectors always have a good mechanical pencil.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Always look for one with a shock aborber tip that retracts under pressure--you'll get much less breakage.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
Best one ever: I was visiting family and friends in Honolulu a few years ago. While shopping at Ala Moana, I stumbled in the Sanrio store at the mall. Sanrio is the infamous japanese company specializing in all things Hello Kitty, Badtz Maru, Kerokeroppi, etc, etc.

Anyway, I got this awesome mechanical pencil. I don't know who makes it except the word "Sumogrip" is etched on the little clip where you would clip it to a shirt pocket. There isn't any weird Hello Kitty markings on it or anything like that. It's a 0.9mm and it's fantastic. Even as the lead gets down to the very end, it always stays at the tip and you aren't forced to continue 'clicking' the pencil to death. The lead inside of the pencil is also locked inside quite tight so it isn't moving around a lot and breaking.

Sorry to go off on such a tangeant, but it really is an awesome pencil.

Scott.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
My favourite is the Pentel 'P205'... supposedly its the most popular Drafting mechanical pencil...

I love it coz its very precise, and the lead doesnt break often. A real sturdily-built pencil, where many other ones with a lot of plastic feel wimpy and have a lot of wiggle room...

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
thanks for the replies, i will check these out as soon as i can. the end of sucky mechanical pencils is drawing near for me!

CJ

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I have what may be the wierdest mechanical pencil around. It's probably long since vanished from the market [I was given it by a relative], but it works very well. The AUTOPOINT uses 0.9mm lead [thick stuff ordinarily used by art students or somebody] in short pieces, and it advances using a screw mechanism by twisting the tip. The body is a very heavy-duty yellow plastic, with chromed steel fittings, and it holds plenty of extra leads but you have to mount them yourself. It doesn't give a fine line, but it stands up to my bearing down, and looks like it could outlast the Pyramids.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Ohyeah, also the Pentel Technica-X is real cool, its a retractable pencil too, so no more stabbing yourself when you forget you left yuor pencil in your pants pocket :D

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
If you are a fine-lead person, this Koh-i-noor pencil will smoke any of the aforementioned. I owned one for years and have missed it ever since I lost it.

http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewprod...3BC&source=ink

The metal diamond grip is a masterpiece for long writing sessions, and the .3 mm lead is great for me anyhow since I do not use much pressure and tend to write small. This is also available in .5, .7, and .9 mm varieties.

Man, I'm going to go buy a replacement right now.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member

You want a kickass mechanical pencil?! Then look no further than the PHD from PaperMate! :D

I use one of these all day at school, and they are so damn comfortable. Mostly because the grip is big! It's also got a really long eraser that you can twist out as you need it. Yes, it does come in a .7 size.

Brett_H

Second Unit
Dustin,

That looks almost EXACTLY like one I used to have but unfortunately I lost it. I was just telling my wife this past weekend how much I missed it (we were in an art supply store by the pencils, so it wasn't that weird of a thing to think about...).

Looks like I might have found a replacement!

-Brett.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Try these:

Koh-I-Nor Rapidograph I have a .3mm one.

Pentel PS315 I have a .5mm one of these and it has the sliding barrel.

I prefer the looks and feel of the Koh-I-Nor model personally but the slding barrel of the pentel does protect the lead pretty well.

If there is a blueprint or drafting supply shop near you, chekc them out for lots of different pencils.

Edit 3-2-04
I just noticed Dustin mentioned the Koh-I-Nor before I did. I'm glad to see at least one other fan. Again, it is an excellent pencil and feels like no other in your hand.

VinhT

Second Unit
I have used Pentel Quicker Clickers since high school I think (nearly eight years?), and they have never let me down. In particular, I have used just one Quicker Clicker exclusively through all four years of college. It is the only pencil I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.