What's new

Icons Unearthed: Star Wars (2022) (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Icons Unearthed: Star Wars

Marcia Lucas, Oscar-winning film editor and ex-wife of George Lucas, sits down for her first-ever on-camera interview and provides unique insight into the rise of LucasFilm — including her 14-year marriage to and eventual divorce from George Lucas — the editing of the original Star Wars trilogy, the origin of the idea that Darth Vader would be Luke’s father and if there were really originally plans for nine movies.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
The first episode is on YouTube, will Vice TV put all episodes on YT? I have YouTube TV which does not carry the channel.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have watched two episodes which covers Star Wars. I'm enjoying it. Next is Empire. This covers the whole making of and not just visual effects which the Light and Magic series is about. It's kind of amazing that both are made around the same time with some of the same people interviewed!

Watching this again confirms that what a monumental chance and luck they had to achieve this. Exceptional people happen to be at the right time with the right project. People who elevated the project to the next level. Ralph McQuarrie, John Dykstra, John Williams, Ben Burtt, Marcia Lucas. It is such a lucky once in a lifetime chance that at the end of the project, you should be jumping up and down, happy and thanking anything you believe in.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1x03 The Empire Strikes Back

Amazing episode. Things I did not know before.

"Kurtz was very influential in picking Kershner."

"The trouble was, producer Gary Kurtz was concealing the truth from George and the truth was, things weren't looking good. Gary was not reporting the figures."

"George Lucas had done the impossible and topped the first Star Wars movie... or maybe it was Irvin Kershner who'd topped George Lucas. When The Empire Strikes Back comes out and it gets much better critical reviews, Lucas blames Kershner. Lucas says, "They're reviewing Kershner. They're not reviewing Star Wars." and ultimately what he realized was Kershner put an individual stamp on Empire that Lucas didn't really want. People credited Kershner with elevating the material and that offended Lucas. Well, offended or not... the truth is now, more than ever, that The Empire Strikes Back is a bit of a masterpiece."

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1x04 Return of the Jedi

It's interesting that with the third movie where they finally had full control, so many things went wrong and it was also an unpleasant experience for ILM people.

Also amazing how much they disliked Richard Marquand and didn't think he was fit for the project.

"George was on the set every day for Return of the Jedi. George was back and now stuck doing exactly what he tried
so hard to avoid. Then George chose to do the second unit himself so it was a good backup. For this movie, George was leaving nothing to chance. He had no idea what to do and you saw this on a daily basis. And, so, with nobody in charge...
Or one-and-a-half people in charge, there was a lack of focus. There was no sense of the right person being in the right job. George Lucas' hand-picked director had lost the confidence of his cast. Daniels felt very much like, he was dismissed
and ignored by Marquand. It's like this man is a complete fake and the more his "fakerism"... New word, came to the fore, the more pathetically bullying he became. He tried to pick on people. He tried to pick on me. I didn't like that. This was a problem. He was dealing with a director who couldn't direct frankly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks