What's new

I would like the complete Peanuts on DVD. (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I got the R2 Snoopy come home and was rather dissapointed. What was the OAR? It was released theatrically. The DVD is fullscreen and not much better PQ-wise than my old vhs.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
You know... and maybe Gord can drop in and clear this up, I wonder if there is an issue between Paramount and the Schultz estate that is keeping the cartoons from being re-released. All we've had so far are a few holiday specific episode. I would think that with DVDs the way they are, they could just do a box set of all the TV specials in one release. it's not like there are hundreds of them after all!

Just a thought.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
If you can go all-region, a fantastic German based production company Alive AG released a bunch of limited edition sets in R2 which collects the complete episodes of The Charlie Brown & Snoopy Show as well as ALL the television specials up until the early-90's (and a few more recent) in chronological order PLUS all the This Is America Charlie Brown episodes as bonus features. Original restored English 2.0 mono tracks are available for every single episode and special and the picture quality is ten times better than what Paramount has been giving us with clean and clear print transfers. The episodes and specials are all brilliantly remastered and the colors and detail are so lush and beautiful. They look better than they ever have before. So I say if you can go all-region, pick these up while you still can and put those VHS tapes to rest. No need to wait for Paramount to do a half-assed job when they finally decide to start issuing these classics. Plsu their past releases have been littered with DVNR and interlacing issues. Skip them, pick up the R2 box sets (they were also released individually in keepcase volumes though the sets are collectable and really great looking with physical extras such as Peanuts soundtrack CD's, books, etc. and mostly English packaging) and wait for Paramount to release the theatrical films.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Not incredibly, they're pretty reasonably priced.

In fact, I have a bunch of extra sets that I'm looking to part with.

The only downside to these digipaks, is that I've only come accross a couple of online retailers that actually stock them and ship internationally, and out of those few (Amazon.de, JPC, etc.) none package the items very well and so most of the sets I've received were damaged due to being shipped accross the world in a box without padding or bubblewrap!

It's really frustrating considering that these are limited collectable sets and how excited I was to receive them! Amazon has reshipped to me TWICE as has this other company JPC because BOTH times I received squashed and dented digipaks. I'm awaiting a THIRD order from JPC and a refund from Amazon.

But...

This also means that I have a ton of extra sets to give away. The discs themselves are all in perfect condition, just the packaging is a little banged up.

If anyone's interested, I could post a list of the content (episodes & sepcials) in the sets.

They are really impressive!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Here are the contents of the German Peanust DVD sets:

The Peanuts: Vol. 1 & 2, The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show - Season 1, Episodes 1-8

Disc One:

- Snoopy's Cat Fight (1983)
- Snoopy: Team Manager (1983)
- Linus and Lucy (1983)
- Lucy Vs. The World (1983)

* Bonus Ep: A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

Disc Two:

- Linus' Security Blanket (1983)
- Snoopy: Man's Best Friend (1983)
- Snoopy The Psychiatrist (1983)
- You Can't Win, Charlie Brown (1983)

* Bonus Ep: I Want A Dog For Christmas, Charlie Brown (2003)

The Peanuts: Vol. 3 & 4, The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show - Season 2, Episodes 1-10

Disc One:

- The Lost Ballpark (1983)
- Snoopy's Football Career (1983)
- Chaos In The Classroom (1983)
- It's That Team Spirit, Charlie Brown (1983)
- Lucy Loves Schroeder (1983)

* Bonus Ep: The Mayflower Voyages (1988)

Disc Two:

- Snoopy and the Giant (1985)
- Snoopy's Brother, Spike (1985)
- Snoopy's Robot (1985)
- Peppermint Patty's School Days (1985)
- Sally's Sweet Babboo (1985)

* Bonus Ep: It's Freedom, Charlie Brown (1988)

The Peanuts: Vol. 05 + 06, 1966-1973 - The Complete Episodes

Disc One:

- Charlie Brown's All-Stars (1966)
- It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)
- You're In Love, Charlie Brown (1967)
- He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown (1968)

* Bonus Ep: The Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk (1988)

Disc Two:

- It Was A Short Summer, Charlie Brown (1969)
- Play It Again, Charlie Brown (1971)
- You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown (1972)
- There's No Time For Love, Charlie Brown (1973)

* Bonus Ep: The NASA Space Station (1988)

The Peanuts: Vol. 07 + 08, 1973-1978 - The Complete Episodes

Disc One:

- A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (1973)
- It's A Mystery, Charlie Brown (1974)
- It's The Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown (1974)
- Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown (1975)

* Bonus Ep: The Transcontinental Railway (1989)

Disc Two:

- You're A Good Sport, Charlie Brown (1975)
- It's Arbor Day, Charlie Brown (1976)
- It's Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown (1977)
- What A Nightmare, Charlie Brown (1978)

* Bonus Ep: The Great Inventors (1989)

The Peanuts: Vol. 09 + 10, 1979-1984 - The Complete Episodes

Disc One:

- You're The Greatest, Charlie Brown (1979)
- She's A Good Skate, Charlie Brown (1980)
- Life Is A Circus, Charlie Brown (1980)
- It's Magic, Charlie Brown (1981)

* Bonus Ep: The Smithsonian and the Presidency (1989)

Disc Two:

- Someday You'll Find Her, Charlie Brown (1981)
- Is This Goodbye, Charlie Brown? (1983)
- What Have We Learned, Charlie Brown? (1983)
- It's Flashbeagle, Charlie Brown (1984)

* Bonus Ep: The Music and Heroes of America (1989)

The Peanuts: Vol. 11 + 12, 1985-1991 - The Complete Episodes

Disc One:

- Snoopy's Getting Married, Charlie Brown (1985)
- Happy New Year, Charlie Brown! (1986)
- Why, Charlie Brown, Why? (1990)
- Snoopy's Reunion (1991)

* Bonus Ep: It's An Adveture, Charlie Brown! (1983)

Disc Two:

- It's Spring Training, Charlie Brown (1991)
- It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown (1992)

* Bonus Ep: You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown (1985)
* Bonus Ep: Snoopy, The Musical (1998)
* Bonus Ep: A Charlie Brown Celebration (1982)

The only two "recent" and worthwhile specials that are missing (and conveniently available in R1) are:

- A Charlie Brown Valentine (2002)
- Lucy Must Be Traded, Charlie Brown (2003)

It would have been nice to have these included for a truly definitive collection, but I'll probably end up transfering these two episodes along with the "making-of" for A Charlie Brown's Christmas and the short Charles Schults interview on the crappy Pied-Piper disc and the Charlie Brown Christmas Tales onto a single DVD and placing it in a paper sleeve in the final set as a bonus disc so that I'll have everything.

:)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but I compared playback of both the PAL and NTSC discs for "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and noticed no speed-up or differences other than a vast improvement in picture quality, resolution and colors. I was concerned that I'd for sure pick up on something given the very natural distinct and slow-speaking monotone delivery in the character's voices along with Vince Guaraldi's unmistakable jazz score, but none at all whatsoever. Even listening with a very careful and discerning ear. Otherwise, as I said, the animation is so clear and film-like. The colors are so much more vibrant and all the dirt has been cleaned and removed from the prints. There doesn't seem to be any DVNR applied either which I found evident on Paramount's releases. The difference is really night and day. These new transfers are FAR superior. It's almost like a DVD to laserdisc comparisson.

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator
I'm no Peanuts expert, so I don't know if this collection is as "complete" as it's labeled but they are releasing a 12 complete disc set in Germany in December.

Josh_HI

Second Unit
omg! That is so cool! Why can't america get a big box set like that!? I want all the peanuts on dvd. :frowning:

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I agree with you. I remember that the original Star Trek season set box was much nicer. There was also a cool Alien movies box set. I think the reason that they don't are all the complaints they get. I loved the original Battlestar Galactica season set but I guess I was one of the few.

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
After looking at the list, shall I assume the "This Is America, Charlie Brown" episode "The Birth of the Constitution" was renamed "It's Freedom, Charlie Brown" for Europe??? It would seem so, based on the year listed next to it.

And is there any justification for them putting the episodes of "This Is America" as "bonus episodes" on 8 separate discs? I would consider them very appropriate parts of the "complete" Peanuts video set that should be viewed as a thematic whole! I loved that 8-part series, and if it is released in the US, I hope the 8 episodes will appear in order as a 1 or 2 DVD set.

Tabetha

Agent
Oh I would love a complete set of the Peanuts specials/episodes!

I wonder if there is anyone we can contact who can tell us if such a collection would ever be on the market. Or at least someone we can tell that we want this collection to exist at some point.

Tabbi

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
This Is America, Charlie Brown was the first animated miniseries. I wish they would release these in a boxed set.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

I am pretty sure that this was the original title.

As for the upcoming "COMPLETE" 12-disc set, I am almost 100% sure that it is simply a repackaging of the previous issued titles.

I'm going to email Alive-AG now and see if I can't get anymore info...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Just sent an email regarding the upcoming set so we should have news on it's context pretty soon.

From what I could make out of the German listing with the help of AltaVista, the set will indeed present the complete episodes of "The Charlie Brown & Snoopy Show" in production order along with the complete episodes of "This Is America, Charlie Brown" and all of the animated television specials in chronological order.

Considering it's a 12-disc set, it seems pretty likely that it's simply a repackaging of the previously issued Limited Edition 2-disc digipaks. There were 6 in total.

I'm just curious if anything will be added to this release and if the previous bonuses will be carried over, such as the CD soundtrack, booklets, etc. I'm also trying to find out a little more about the packaging. I'm curious as to whether it will just be a large outer box with the previous issued digipaks held within or if it will be some sort of new design according to the picture listing.

I'll post as soon as I receive an email response from the company.

My only concern is where to order this from... since Amazon.de does NOT use any bubblewrap or protective padding, having a large 12-disc box set shipped from Germany to the US/Canada will certainly result in a significantly damaged package.

Does anyone know of any reliable German retailers that put a little effort into shipping and packaging international orders? I've had HUGE problems with this regarding the last Peanuts sets I ordered from Germany! Every single set I received arrived squashed and dented.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Not only do they put out terrific box sets and are the only company around so far to do Mr. Schultz creations justice on home video... but they have excellent customer service too!!

My initial inquiry this morning:

I was browsing Amazon.de the other day and noticed that there was a new listing
for a "Complete Peanuts Box Set" which indicates a 12-disc package.

The link is here:
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...666106-1534446

Anyways, I was just curious if you had any new information regarding this set?
Is it just a repackaging of the previous limited edition "Complete Peanuts"
digipaks you released earlier last year?

Will it feature the exact same content including all the "charlie Brown & Snoopy
Show" episodes along with all the specials and "This Is America, Charlie Brown"
episodes in chronological order?

Will it also include the bonus stuff from the previous releases such as the
soundtrack CD, etc?

Do you know if there will be any new extras or special features included with
this boxset?

Also, could you please tell me a bit about the packaging? Is it going to be
released in a large outer box with the previous issued digipaks inside?

I'm a huge Peanuts fan and am really looking forward to this new release and
curious about what it;s all about.

I'd really appreciate any info you can tell me regarding the upcoiming release!

Thanks so much for your help!!

Their response:

Yes, we will indeed release final complete edition of the Peanuts Episodes.

The pakcage will include the double features which have been released through
the year including the given extras.

As a favour to all our peanuts fans who already own all (!!) box-sets (prooved
by a digicam-shot) we do send the empty Box which is made of very strong
cardboard and is looking like snoopys home for free as a gift.

So, if you really do own all box-sets already we will be happy to send you the
extrapackage asap.

Best regards

:D

Get your pre-orders in guys! Trust me when I say that this is the one to get, for all of you who've been complaining that Paramount is not handling their franchise properly... here's a great way to tell 'em - support a company that IS!

You guys will not be dissapointed in the quality.

I'm just looking for a Gertman e-tailer now who will ship this to Canada without it arriving dented and banged up. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks