What's new

I want to get a SVS but .......... (1 Viewer)

MatthewH

Agent
My receiver is the Integra 7.1 and it says in the manual not to hook up a speaker rated at less than 6 ohms. I believe that the SVS Subwoofer is 4 ohms. Would hooking up a SVS damage my receiver or I am I just totally off base here? I really want to get one but dont want to damage my receiver.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Matthew,
I'm not even sure how you'd route the signals to use the Integra's internal amplifier to drive the subwoofer anyway.
They're designed to drive main speakers, not the subwoofer, and I don't think you can route the signal to an internal amplification channel.
If you went with a powered cylinder model, this would be a non-issue.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
The receiver's manual is refering only to speakers that will be POWERED by the receiver's internal amplification....the *7* of the 7.1 if you will.
If you purchase a passive SVS(cs or cs_u)...then you'd need an external amplifier capable of handling a 4ohm load. If you purchase a powered SVS(pc)...it's got just such an amplifier built into the enclosure.
How large is your room?
TV

MatthewH

Agent
My wife and I just bought a new house. We will be putting our home theater in the living room. The deminsions are approximately 15' by 35' with the living room opening up into the kitchen.
So if I was to purchase a 2 channel amp, hook it up to the SVS and plug into the pre out in the back of my receiver I should have no problem?
And the same would be true if I purchased a powered subwoofer? Sorry if this is a silly question. I would appreciate it if you could also reccomend a SVS Sub for me.
Thanks.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
1. That is correct. You shouldn't have a problem as long as you run the preout from the receiver to either a powered sub or external amp.
2. Give the room size, you may be looking at dual CS-Ultras if you listen at reference levels. If not, dual 20-39s or 16-46s should suffice.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Just think of a CS/CS_U matched with an external amp...AS a POWERED subwoofer that simply doesn't have the amp mounted to the enclosure.
As noted, you patch the subwoofer preout of your receiver into the input on the amp used to power the sub(built in,or not).
If you're looking to purchase a 2 channel amp to power a SVS or two...I'd also consider the S700 and S1000 amps we offer at svs. Very cost effective watt/$$$ ratios...nice amps,and quiet cooling fans.
In a room this large, I'd go with a dual subwoofer setup...dual CS_Ultras or dual CS/S700.
TV

MatthewH

Agent
Thanks to everyone for their quick responses. I would probably start out with purchasing a Sampson Amp and one SVS sub. My wife would kill me if I purchased two right now, since I am looking at purchasing a large RPTV sometime next year. Any recommendations on which SVS to get? Might be interested in a "B" stock if there are any available.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Matthew,
If you are limited to just one, go for a CS-Ultra. If, after she sees how much a single Ultra costs and an amp, she allows you to get two 20-39s and the amp, go with that combination.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
If you want the single enclosure because of a floor space issue, go with the CS_U/S1000. If you're trying to save a little and put it toward the RPTV...either the 25-31cs/S700 or the 20-39cs/S700 would be my suggestion. In a room as large as yours...a single subwoofer will not allow you to approach reference levels with bass heavy DVDs....but you'll get a lot of clean extension that should please you until you add the second enclosure(if you're looking for reference level capability).
TV

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the 6 0hms rating is for speakers connected to the receiver directly, speakers connected to the amplifier terminals of your receivier. The 4 ohm rating of that subwoofer is a rating for a load when the SVS is connected to the POWER AMPLIFIER, be it an integrated amp, a separate amplifier or the amplifier in the receiver. Forget the last one, because you wouldn't connect your subwoofer to the receiver that way. I am not sure if receivers actually ever had an amplifier for subwoofer speakers. Most receivers that i know of have a pre-out to send to an outboard amp or a powered sub (sub with its own built-in amp).
If you are using the PRE-OUT to send the subwoofer signal to an outboard amplifier, your receiver is fine. You need to be sure that the outboard amplifier can handle the load. In this case, you need an amp that can handle 4 ohms.
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 15, 2001 at 07:24 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks