What's new

International I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978): Twist & Shouts on Blu (Reg B) (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. Well this represents a first for me in several ways. First and most important, I've officially have gone region-free (the Cool Kids Club) as I have set up my new Sony BDP-S7200 region free player on the 70. And as of yesterday, (right before being taken to see Star Trek - Beyond (2016) as a birthday gift (I can now safely read that thread), I screened my first Region B locked Blu-ray, I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978). This was the first time I had seen this movie since 1978 when as a fresh-faced 18 year old, I took my then girlfriend Patti (15) for our first date. The catch, I had to take both her little sister Penny (13) and Denise (12) along as well (had my mom's luxurious 75 Olds Cutlass Supreme). Oh what a "fun" first date that was (precious memories).
(This film is now available on Amazon UK. Mr. Epstein, feel free to insert a HTF purchase link here).

And now some notes on this film (and a Wiki Page link):
IWannaHoldYourHand_UK_Blu.jpg

Imagine a film being made by a team of Steven Speilberg, Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale. Imagine too that this film had full rights to about 17 original Beatles songs (how they managed this I have yet to discover as how Fabulous Films managed to obtain these same rights for this UK Blu-ray release. Needless to say music rights would make it very difficult , and expensive for a U.S. release). And imagine despite all this, the film was a box office flop. Incredulous???
Well one might also categorize this film as everyone has to start out small somewhere and this was definitely true for future film producing legends Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale at this time (1978) in their careers.

Quite a few plot devices in IWHYH found their way into future Zemeckis/Gale films including most notably Back To The Future (1985). One example, note the similarity between Doc Brown's lightning storm adventure at the clock tower in BTTF and character Tony Smerko's TV tower adventure 7 years earlier in IWHYH).

A few then-unknown actors & actresses got a start in this film. Wendie Jo Sperber (later seen as Marty McFly's sister in the BTTF films) got top billing as Rosie Petrofsky, one of the main characters (sadly Wendie passed away in 2005). Also getting top billing was Theresa Saldana (whom we sadly lost recently in June 2016) as Grace Corrigan.

Playing himself was noted DJ and radio personality from the 50s, 60s and 70s, Murray Kaufman (Murray the K) who would sadly pass away only 4 years after this film was made.

Eddie Deezen, playing Richard "Ringo" Klaus, a nerdish male Bealtes fan who would play nerd-type characters in other films, notably Wargames (1983) and 1941 (1980).

One minor role of note, playing a young-looking hooker was future Meatballs (1979) and Cheerleaders Wild Weekend (1979) star (and one of my biggest actresses crushes from the days of my youth), Kristine DeBell. Kristine is still quite active in the entertainment industry today (see her public FB page).

As I mentioned earlier, how Fabulous Films got full music rights for this Blu-ray release I do not yet know but I get the impression that music rights issues are much easier to deal with in the U.K. as opposed to the U.S. (witness music rights for the U.K. release of the TV series Quantum Leap as opposed to the U.S. releases). Interesting too how Bob Gale & Robert Zemeckis got rights to use Beatles music in their film back in 1978, perhaps both had a friendship with one or more of the Beatles (all were still alive at this time). Also consider that The Beatles and their music was a central part of this story. As this film has never seen any U.S. release that I know of (VHS, LD or DVD, someone educate me if I'm wrong) I don't anticipate a U.S. release soon. You'll have to go region-free in order to enjoy this quite entertaining film and first effort from Robert Zemeckis & Bob Gale.

Technical Notes on the Blu:
Viewed on: Vizio 70 E-Series (2013) from a Sony Region-free BDP-S7200.
PQ 4.75 out of 5. Very excellent transfer. Not much I can add to that.

Audio: Quite excellent as well but I'd love to hear some expert audiophile opinions from any experts who get to see this Blu.

Recommendation: Highly Recommended.

=======================================================================
Wiki Page (Spoiler alert)
=======================================================================

Last edited:

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
I remember showing this @ the JF theaters screening room , I loved it to bad it was a major flop. Will diff. pick this one up!!!

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
This was released on DVD in 2004 and is still in print. This Blu-ray looks to be a direct port of that release, with the same Zemeckis/Gale commentary. There's no reason it can't be released on Blu-ray here, except distributor indifference.

https://www.amazon.com/I-Wanna-Hold...08&sr=8-1&keywords=i+wanna+hold+your+hand+dvd

(1978 also saw the release of the Robert Stigwood dud SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND, which went I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND one or two better by roping in George and Ringo for cameos.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This was released on DVD in 2004 and is still in print. This Blu-ray looks to be a direct port of that release, with the same Zemeckis/Gale commentary. There's no reason it can't be released on Blu-ray here, except distributor indifference.
Yeah, since the songs are integral to the movie, Universal knew that they had to buy the rights in perpetuity and so there's no problem with it getting released in the U.S.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad

https://www.amazon.com/I-Wanna-Hold...08&sr=8-1&keywords=i+wanna+hold+your+hand+dvd

(1978 also saw the release of the Robert Stigwood dud SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND, which went I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND one or two better by roping in George and Ringo for cameos.)

Thanks for the info. I found myself wishing that Zemeckis could have done the same for this film. Obviously the Beatles couldn't play themselves (too old by that time, personal appearance changes, those roles were played kinda in-the-shadows by look-alikes as we never got a good direct look at those actors) but would have made for some nice in-joke cameos.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
If you enjoyed Ms. DeBell's work ... you might enjoy her work in the definitely un-Disney Alice in Wonderland .. it's a musical too ;)

Alice_in_Wonderland.RESIZED.jpg
with two different virgins er versions ;)

Alice_in_wonderland_1976.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
SGT. PEPPER'S was also a Universal release, so I assume they got a good deal.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Plus, I'm sure The Beatles' music was expensive in the late 70's but it was nowhere near what it would cost today.
My guess is the cost increased exponentially in the years following John Lennon's death. I do recall reading an article about THE BIG CHILL (1983), in which the filmmaker mentioned that he really wanted to include Beatles songs, but that even lower tier (My wording, but it was something to that effect!) Lennon/McCartney tracks, such as "Yes It Is" were still simply too expensive to include.

CHEERS! :)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

I could only stomach that movie once when it was first released, but I don't recall seeing those two in it anywhere.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Yes, that's where you'll find them. The camera does skate around them and the others a bit before it settles on that final tableau. (There's no missing Carol Channing!)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I've have yet to see any of Kristine's more adult-oriented work (and for those wondering, while Ms. De Bell looked teenage in her late 70s films, she was actually in her early 20s) but might check this out in the future (if its available on Blu, I haven't looked yet).

Kristine was not the only 70s "teen queen" to go R rated. Susan Dey (Partridge Family) couldn't wait to shed her Laurie Partridge persona as she made First Love (1977) and Looker (1981), neither yet available on Blu yet.

If you enjoyed Ms. DeBell's work ... you might enjoy her work in the definitely un-Disney Alice in Wonderland .. it's a musical too ;)

Alice_in_Wonderland.RESIZED.jpg
with two different virgins er versions ;)

Alice_in_wonderland_1976.jpg

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I've have yet to see any of Kristine's more adult-oriented work (and for those wondering, while Ms. De Bell looked teenage in her late 70s films, she was actually in her early 20s) but might check this out in the future (if its available on Blu, I haven't looked yet).

Kristine was not the only 70s "teen queen" to go R rated. Susan Dey (Partridge Family) couldn't wait to shed her Laurie Partridge persona as she made First Love (1977) and Looker (1981), neither yet available on Blu yet.
"Rights" for the film are a mess so I'm guessing not! But as it was released by Fox in the US ... I'm not sure if TT or Criterion would be um "up" for the challenge ... ;)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
"Rights" for the film are a mess so I'm guessing not! But as it was released by Fox in the US ... I'm not sure if TT or Criterion would be um "up" for the challenge ... ;)

Rumor has it that Synapse Films has the rights to Alice In Wonderland.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
It's official, Criterion will be releasing I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978) in the U.S (per #Brandon Conway's Pre-90s thread).

This may be a double dipper for me because it's a Criterion release. Be interesting to see what extras are included.

I'm still a bit curious on how Robert Zemeckis managed to get Beatles music rights for this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks