What's new

I tried to explain to the cashier she was making a mistake but....... (1 Viewer)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
So I pick up 3 DVDs at blockbuster for $25. Before I leave I check all of the cases for the DVDs and I see that both the discs for West Side Story are missing. The cashier is very apologetic and asks me if I can find another 3rd DVD. I pick another one out. She does her calculations on her register and says "Well you have 4.22 in credit. Why don't you pick out some candy or pop."

I sit there for a second and reply "Isn't it 3 for 25 no matter what DVDs you pick out?" She's says "Well the west side story was 16.99 and the DVD you picked out to replace it was 12.99 so you have some credit." Again, I contemplate again and say "Well I'm just exchanging a DVD for a DVD so it should be even." She replies "No, you have 4.22 in credit."

So to make a long story short I picked up 2 bottles of mello yello and 2 packs of twizzlers for free.

I feel kinda guilty but I did try to explain it to her. Oh well.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Well, kinda sorta, but not really. Just a hunch here but what may have happened is that the register system may have been set up to give the 3 for $25, but only when the register processes 3 movies. When she entered the single disc for exchange because two other discs were not scanned the register did not promt for the special price. You see this a lot for 3 for $1 promos. The first two scanned are $.33, while the third come to $.34, thus giving you the total of $1.

I don't know their system, but what she should have done was to void out the sale completly, give you a refund on your movies, and let you repurchase the same first two, and the new third. If their system does not allow for a total sale void, although most retail stores allow for this, the clerk should have done a refund on all three and then an exchange of the same first two and the new third. Because the system is now working with 3's it should have come up as an even dollar exchange.

The clerk may not have thought about this, or their system does not allow for it. (But, as mentioned above most register systems are set up for just about any type of exchange, but, it need the clerk to do it correctly.)

But no worries mate, their inventory will show one West Side Story sold and one returned. Inventory wise their numbers add up. True they may have a "ghost" shortage of 4 bucks but no one is getting fired over it. Having worked in retail for over a decade a four dollar shortage is the least of worries on a day to day basis.

Out.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I feel kinda guilty but I did try to explain it to her.

You shouldn't feel guilty about it, since you didn't do anything to trick her or cause the problem.

If the store can't get more competent cashiers or train them properly, that's their problem, not yours. What about all the times you get charged too much & don't notice it in time? I've been to some of those 3 for $25 sales where they tried to charge me sticker price for all the movies.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
I too had a register glitch this week ... must be sunspots ;-)

Took the family to a new local Ruby Tuesday for dinner ... service was a little slow. After finishing, the waitress comes over and explains that they have tried and tried, but the register won't produce a bill for our order. They dont want to re-enter everything, because then they would have to explain to the kitchern not to prepare it. The manager said we could leave and he would comp it if it came up later.

Cool, huh ... she got a nice tip.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
So the manager and the waitress take home the money for your meal?

I think what Chet is worried about is having BB figure it out 3 months down the road, so they send a bill out!

Glenn

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I think what Chet is worried about is having BB figure it out 3 months down the road, so they send a bill out!

Let them send it- they can't charge you more after the sale is over.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"Ok, Which store did you go, Chet_F?"

Ok, I tried finding the store on blockbuster's website but no luck. I just moved down here last year so I don't know what the names of the roads are. If you take 75 S into Georgia it's the second exit - take a right and it's down that road about a couple miles on the right. At least I think that's right.

"I think what Chet is worried about is having BB figure it out 3 months down the road, so they send a bill out!"

I used cash so they have no idea who I am. I guess I just felt sorry for the poor cashier. She was a nice young lady. I did try to explain it to her though. :) I'm still enjoying the twizzlers. :D

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"Yeah Chet! for sticking it to the man!!!"

She was actually a woman and boy do I wish I could of stuck it to her. She was hot!!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks