What's new

I think I'm becoming a hard core online gamer.... (1 Viewer)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
As some of you know I joined the Battlefield 1942 online community about 2 months back. I quickly became hooked on it and have done these things to get the most of my online gaming...
1) Bought a $150.00 CDN joystick, the microsoft Forcefeedback II. After playing with it I decided I didn't like the feel of a joystick for this game so I took it back, minus the software disc. A member on HTF knows where that disc is (or at least what the postal service did to it :) )
2) I think I need more RAM cause I'm running 256 and want 512.
3) Purchased a $75.00 Logiteck trackball mouse. It even lights up! Now this is more like it. Better than the original mouse that came with the pc, now I can fly planes and when I'm infrantry turn around in time to surprise the enemy shooting at me in the back. It even has its own speed settings and software. Better than that joystick too. For half the price!
4) Tweaking the pc. Need....more....speed. I downloaded a program that shows my frames per second while playing. Wow my system really sucks (Dell dimension 8200 P4 2 Ghz, 256 RD ram, 80 gig Hard drive @7200) I'm getting 15-30 FPS. I really need to change this. Eliminated what was not needed in the taskbar. Lots of reading on forums and came to this conclusion....
5) New video card. I know I need more ram but that can wait. Ditched the stock 64 mb GeForce 4 MX 420 (a glorified Geforce 2) and purchased a 128 mb GeForce 4 Ti 4600 (see my video card thread in computers area, I have a few questions about it) Only a $400.00 upgrade. NOW this is gaming!! Nothing but smooth....
6) Moved into a house with a friend and got the phone company to install a extra jack for my internet connection. Don't want to be splicing now do I? And especially no more 50 foot long generic $2.00 telephone line extensions that loses more signal than I even want to imagine. Nothing but the shortest path to the wall for this guy's ADSL ( I even watched the installer have to run a new line from the poles in the alley to the house for my phone line woohooo!) Its all about pings baby.
7) Need more RAM.
8) Playing on a abundance of servers through All Seeing Eye server-finder I soon realized I was a smacktard. For those of you that don't know what this is, its a player that doesn't give a shit, doesn't be a part of the team and always pops a few rounds into teamates. Oh, and they wait for planes in the airfield. Instead of getting into battle they wait for planes to spawn, running up and down the airstrip like its recess at a methodone clinic. Hmmmm. I needed to change my playing habits.
9) Joined Wolfservers. The website can be found here www.wolfservers.com. The site is down for the moment because of the storm in the Carolinas and I'm going through withdrawl. A great bunch of guys that I started online gaming with a month ago. Their not a clan but just out to have fun. And they run a real tight ship, just like Ron and Parker. All my reading on many BF1942 forums looking for a good server paid off. Finally I was starting to have some real fun with this game.
10) Voicespeak. I dug out the old rat shack mic that I swiped from grade 9 drama class and now I chat with my comrades. So much easier than trying to type into the chat while flying a plane. Its awesome for teamwork and adds the needed dimension. Too cool.
All I need now I figure is more RAM. It will cost me a couple hundred bucks for the upgrade but after what I paid for the video card I'm not too worried. I'm also quite happy how things have progressed in the last 2 months. This is what gaming should be like (minus the costs but its so worth it). I now play everyday and want to play more. I can't believe wolfservers are currently off line because of some wretched storm. When I go outside into the bright sun and see a plane up in the sky I want to yell "ENEMY AIRPLANE SPOTTED!".
But of course this would be foolish.
And that is why I think I'm becoming a hard core gamer :)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:
Well, right now I'm fearfully dipping my toe into the online gaming pool. Thanks for letting me know what lies ahead.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Welcome to the inevitable....been hardcore here sinced Counterstrike beta 4.0..now on Battlefield 1942 and I hope to see ur entrails sprawled out on a beachhead.

Dave Sabo

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome Michael!
haha!

I haven't even watched half of my DVDs yet because I can't pull myself away from BF1942. Even joined a clan for it... haven't been in a clan since Descent!

Does anyone here remember Descent, and Kali for DOS? lol you had to be hardcore to go through that to play net games... 6 player Descent with 28.8 as the fastest connection... woohoo, those were the days! You think people p*ss and moan about lag now?!? haha! Sheeet, I still have my Kali serial# floating around, if you know Kali at all, part of that number told you when you registered it... mine was in the 700's (don't remember the exact)... god I'm dating myself

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Jeffrey actually upgrading the card to a ti4600 brought my FPS around 50-70 on average. I am currently tweaking the card to improve FPS & graphics even more.
And Travis, to find out if I'm any better...you know from my post above where to find me :)

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
I have an Athlon XP 2200+ and a GeForce4 Ti4600, and when I was originally playing BF1942 with 256 MB of RAM it was very choppy.

I recently upgraded to 512MB of PC 2700 DDR SDRAM and that made playing the game much smoother.

RAM definitely helped in terms of playing BF1942 and UT2K3.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Kali..oh yeah..I got that too....was playing online like 3 or 4 players in Duke Nukem 3D on a 28.8!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The first thing I do after loading my OS and drivers is go to www.tweak3d.net and tweak the hell out of my registry. Sometimes I'm not sure if all of it really makes a difference but I love to know I'm having minimal things running in the background while I play Medal of Honor on my aging p800. There's usually nothing in the taskbar after I get a hold of a c0mptar.
I'm also in a clan and use Roger Wilco to chat to teammates during matches. Plus I'm looking to upgrade this Christmas to a P4/new Asus mobo/at least 512mb or DDR ram. And I don't have a girlfriend either. :emoji_thumbsup: er.. I mean... :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks