What's new

I propose that HTF member Steeve Bergeron be.... (1 Viewer)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
"PC LOADLETTER?!? What the fsk does that mean?!?"
Paul, we get this over here in the UK all the time. It occurs because of 'Letter' being the standard size in Windows Word.
However, here (like the rest of the world?) that size doesn't exist - we us A4 paper.
As far as I can tell: If a document is saved in such a way as to require 'Letter' size paper then the printing pauses and the printer requests you insert Letter paper as it knows it only contains A4.
If you press Go/Continue/Whatever then the printer says "Use A4 instead?" and we're away!!:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
[c]Link Removed Link Removed
These are the two I captured when I rented it.
Link Removed Link Removed
And your two.[/c]

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
That was fast, John! I'll have to find quotes for all of them. ;)
I think the dimensions for the "spoon" picture aren't correct though. Shouldn't it be 152x100? Just like the fourth one. They both have the same dimensions in the original pictures. And I don't know why but this picture always looks too pale. I really like how you fixed the colors in my current picture. Can you do the same thing for this one too? Thanks.
I hope I'm not boring you too much with all this. It's not my fault, I'm a perfectionist. Take your time, I'm in no hurry.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, they're closer. The problem is the two spoon shots were from radically different sources and it is pretty tough to get an exact match. The reason the sizes were different it because the originals had small borders on them that were not quite the same size. Since I cropped them off, the shots came out a slightly different size. I adjusted the spoon shot and they are the same size now.

The color is still slightly different, but the densities are much closer. What can I say, it's late.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FWIW, I think the color of the new is better. I made the one you are using just a little too cool. The new one is just a bit warmer and has better skin tones. The best thing would be if I got ahold of the DVD and captured it myself. Of course, then it would be at the 2.35 framing, unless it is in the trailer at 1.85 or 1.77.

EDIT. I have my monitor carefully calibrated. One problem is Mac monitors are often run at a different gamma than Windows ones, and most are just where they happen to fall. I finally settled on calibrating my monitor's gamma between the standard Mac (which I use) and the standard Windows gammas. It seems to work as well as is possible.

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
Yeah, I guess the best solution would be to capture it from the DVD. The colors are extremely good on the two captures you did.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Fitzcarraldo. Of course, tomorrow they'll probably be something else.

Steeve, the DVD caps I do will always look best since I save the original large image at the highest quality jpeg until I make the final compressed, smaller version. That can make a huge difference from starting with a highly compressed original, no matter how big it is. I am also still refining my technique. Even though I have years of experience printing B&W and Color photos, which gave me a huge start, digital correction is still different in many ways. I keep experimenting with different ways to make the shots look as good as possible, but without making their files too large.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

In fact. take a close look at the two DVD captures. Notice how smooth the gradations are, and that they are essentially artifact free. The others aren't. I'm getting the hang of it, but you still nedd the best possible original to get the best possible final image.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
John, if you can fiund a spare minute, the next time you pull out Sexy Beast, could you get me a cap of the scene when Don is shouting at Gale in the kitchen. the specific frame is at 0:47:52. It's when Don stands right in Gale's face and shouts ..."because it's so disgusting." I love that scene, and I'm jealous that you change your sig so often, and have so many great images. :frowning: :b :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
I'm getting the hang of it, but you still nedd the best possible original to get the best possible final image.
You're absolutely right. The colors on your two captures are essentially perfect. I think I'll wait until you get me a capture from the DVD. You did say that you would rent it again, right? :D

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Man, what a thread. This puppy has just about everything in it. I can't believe I'm just now finding it. I just don't drop by AH very much. Fun thread.
While others are asking for so much from John, would it be too much to ask if I sent you an Email with a great pic, if you could work your magic on it? Wait, you aren't offended by matters of the "adult" nature are you? :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Paul, Sure.
Steeve, I might rent it again. At the least, when my NetFlix renews the next time (9/15) I was thinking of backing it off to the two DVD level and doing the Blockbuster DVD pass for a month or two. Since that allows as many as 2 DVDs per day, it would really be no loss to grab Amélie for a day just to get caps.
Brian. Guidelines.....
Hot naked chicks :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Revealing pics of Brian Kissinger :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Marley Shelton modeling sheer lingerie :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Ned Beatty squealing like a pig :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Got It???
It is best to send me a larger pic that has been manipulated and compressed as little as possible to get the best results. Don't go overboard. I don't want you sending me any TIFFs.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well! I hope you're happy Steeve. I broke down and got your frufru, French talkin' chick flick.
I won't necessarily watch it right away, so if you can give me the time where the spoon shot is, I'll get you your new @%#$& sig.
I was going to say a few other choice things, but just read Ron's latest HTF warning letter, so instead I'll just say, "Thanks for the hockey team!" :D

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
That's cool, John! You mean you bought it? So you'll be able to make captures at will then? I'll get you a list soon! :D
The spoon scene is at 3:35 in the second chapter. I'm not sure that will help you though, I doubt that we have the same version.
Thanks for the hockey team!
Don't thank me, my hockey team is the Montreal Canadiens. Go Habs Go!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

OK then, thanks for the goalie!

I was at Wal Mart tonight and they have an extremely low price on it, so......

The times I need are total elapsed time, not chapter time. Hopefully that will also avoid any discrepancy between versions.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Color correction on this is beating me up. The colors in this film are not normal.
[c]Link Removed[/c]
Tighter composition vertically, as you already knew it would be. Notice it looks infinitely better. The artifacting on the old one is very noticeable compared to this one, which has basically none.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Yeah, you can really see that artefacting when you compare directly.
And it's OAR!! Steeve is saved!!
I really have to buy it now the 2-disc edition is out!!:D

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
The colors in this film are not normal.
You can say that again. There always seems to be green in every scene, whehter it be the scenery or a tint. (Of course, the outside boxing is that rich shade of green as well - Jeunet trying to get a point across?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks