What's new

I Need advice on a progressive scan player for my new HDTV (1 Viewer)

Fred DeGrandis

Stunt Coordinator
I just took the plunge into my first HD monitor, the mits 55907, and I was looking at replacing my current DVD player. I will be hooking this player up via component cables to the tv, and an optical to my Marantz SR 7000. I would like to have the player do DD5.1 and DTS. The salesman recommended the new sony DVP 700xx, but any help from you would be great.
Thanks in advance, Fred

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Fred,
The Panasonic RP-91 is worth checking out, especially since you have a 16x9 TV. The RP-91 has a zoom/scaling feature (not available on the Sony) that greatly improves the picture quality of non-anamorphic widescreen discs over using the zoom mode on most 16x9 TV's. I recently upgraded from a Toshiba 6200 progressive scan player, and am very happy with the Panasonic. You will find lots of praise for this player on HTF. Just do a search.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7

DarrellP

Stunt Coordinator
Toshiba is releasing the SD4700 soon. A buddy just pre-purchased one at Video Only for $220. Yes, it is Progressive AND DVD-Audio!
I've had a Toshiba SD5109 now for about 8 months and love it. (Haven't been able to watch progressive yet).

George Fogel

Agent
Also, Philips will release the Q50 in October/November... this player will use the new Faroudja chip and also do scaling. MSRP $499
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks