What's new

I just saw GLORY for the first time. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willy

Agent
Good movie, but they focused too much on Broderick's character. The real story was the 54th Regimen, not the difficulties faced by the privileged, white New Englander who led them. That always bugged me about Glory. I know the movie was based on the memoirs of Robert Gould Shaw, but that doesn't excuse creating a screenplay where the real heroes are merely supporting characters. IMHO, of course.

Eric Bass

Second Unit
it willfully skirts Gould Shaw's own racial prejudices in order to ostensibly cast him as a vanilla, heroic "crusader" palatable for today's hypersensitive, politically-correct audience.
Having not researched this myself I have to say I really wish I had never read this, because I really like this movie. Too bad you would never get away with actually casting a prejudice character in a lead heroic role, no matter what the context. There's be people lining up to crucify you. In the immortal words of Nelson Muntz...."Society blows"

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I have a book of Shaw's letters which I haven't read, but now I'm really curious. Too bad it's packed away somewhere. . .

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member

Here's a shot of the box from Netflix. Their listings say that this version only has a full-screen transfer, but if anyone knows that that info is incorrect, please let me know.

GregK

Screenwriter
Andrew I've never dealt with netflix, but that cover certainly looks like the first release. As mentioned previously, I own the first DVD release of Glory. ...I bought it in the summer of 1998 (my first DVD purchase!) and it had both a pan-n-scan and an anamorphic widescreen version. 5.1 DD audio which is more like 4.1, but still rocks.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, I agree with Greg on the aspect ratio of the DVD. That looks like the first edition, so I think it might be safe to rent. I am almost positive that there was no "pan & scan only" version of Glory.

Apparently, both versions of Glory contain both the widescreen and pan & scan presentations of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks