I just saw GLORY for the first time.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Romero, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

This movie is great. Denzel and Morgan put in excellent performances. Mathew Broderick was ok, but maybe that's because I just couldn't imagine him with that weird mustache, commanding troops. The ending battle with the red white and blue cinematography was very good looking. Anyway, what does everyone think about this movie? Also, can anyone recommend me movies similar to this? I haven't see many civil war films.

2. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Glory is my #1 favorite movie of all time. I'm not a Matthew Broderick fan, either. Glory not winning Best Picture was one of the great travesties of the PC era.

Gettysburg and Ride With The Devil (directed by Ang Lee, the most versatile director working today!) are both excellent, although Gettysburg is a pure war movie.

Gods And Generals was the sequel (actually prequel, I think) to The Killer Angels, written by the son of the author of KA. The Killer Angels is a great book, and Gettysburg is a great adaptation. I haven't read Gods And Generals, but I've heard that it isn't so good.

4. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Loved GLORY and think Matthew B. pulled off the role of a rich kid put into a position he couldn't forsee.

5. Tony Richardson

Glory is a great film. Pure and simple. I thought Matthew did a good job with his role. He is a better actor than he is given credit for in my opinion. Denzel and Morgan both gave excellent performances and I agree that the film itself should have gotten the oscar.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Aaron,
    Do you mean that "Driving Miss Daisy" didn't deserve it's Best Picture AA that year?[​IMG] By the way, this great film should have at least been nominated for Best Picture, but it wasn't. However, it did receive AA's for Best Supporting Actor, Cinematography, and Sound. Furthermore, "Do the Right Thing" wasn't nominated either, but that's another thread subject. You got to love the Academy and just think about those griping about this years winners because of race.
    • My Left Foot
    • Born on the Fourth of July
    • Field of Dreams
    • Dead Poets Society
    • Driving Miss Daisy
    Crawdaddy

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I too love Glory and think it's one of the greatest war movies ever made. Didn't I hear somewhere that the actors, while filming the movie, actually camped and lived as would have been the case during the real Civil War to better put themselves into a proper frame of mind?

8. Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin Stunt Coordinator

This is definitely one of my all time favorite war films. I agree with all of the previous posters about Denzel and Morgan's performances. I have 2 friends I have been after a year to borrow my dvd and check it out - I know they would love it! Didn't I hear that Ken Burn's documentary The Civil War is coming to dvd? That is definitely a purchase - great show.

9. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

I just have to mention my Top 10 film as a partial Civil War tie-in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

10. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Others worth checking out:
    The General - classic silent comedy with Buster Keaton, but surprisingly epic Civil War battle scenes
    Shenendoah
    Gone With The Wind - the gold standard of Civil War films (though IMO, not nearly as watchable as Glory)

11. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Glory makes my Top Ten Favorite Movies of All Time. My history teacher (who I shall say with pride is Gene Davis of Pikeville, Kentucky) showed us this movie. Keep in mind that my U.S. history class had all sorts of characters in it. Needless to say, everybody loved it. I almost cried at the end. :b
    It's the farthest thing from a date movie, but from the general consensus I get, it's for everybody.
    Concerning Matthew Broderick
    - My history teacher also showed a picture of Colonel Shaw. Boy does Matthew look like him.

12. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Excellent film. Man, the ending kills me every time...

13. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Man, you guys inspired me! I'm going to rent this movie this weekend and check it out (I've never seen it).

-Marshall

14. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Enjoy, Marshall!
    The first time I saw Glory in the theater, the audience (a full house) sat in stunned silence throughout the entire credits. Talk about powerful!
    Crawdaddy, that list of nominees contains not one film in the same league as Glory! (Or Monkeybone. . .[​IMG] )

15. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Damnit!!! I just went to Netflix to put this baby in my queue and it looks like they only carry it in full-screen.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Andrew, I don't have Netflix, but if I am not mistaken, there never was a "pan and scan only" version of Glory. I haven't seen the first edition DVD, but I am pretty sure it was widescreen. I own the special edition 2-disc set, which includes both widescreen and pan and scan presentations of the film on separate discs.
    The pan and scan disc went straight to the garbage can. [​IMG]

17. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

The original DVD release of Glory had a widescreen and a pan-n-scan version. Each had it's own side.

18. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

19. Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett Supporting Actor

I personally find this a quite good film, but one which unfortunately missed most of its opportunities. Perhaps it is only because the man portrayed is less known in common knowledge circles, but I find it interesting that the criticisms leveled at A Beautiful Mind for sanitizing its main character do not also find a deserving target in this film; in how it willfully skirts Gould Shaw's own racial prejudices in order to ostensibly cast him as a vanilla, heroic "crusader" palatable for today's hypersensitive, politically-correct audience. Perhaps the most profound and compelling drama to be told in the story of the Massachusetts 54th--the evolution of Gould Shaw from obliviously prejudiced officer to respecting, compassionate leader--was undermined by this premeditated sacrifice of character honesty for dubious motives. I would be willing to bet that, had this film been made in the 70's, a more truthful, and therefore more telling, portrait of people and places involved would have resulted.
    However, for this viewer, the cinematography, staging, and Morgan Freeman linger in the memory; as does the James Horner music brazenly plagiarized from Prokofiev.

20. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter