What's new

I just saw GLORY for the first time. (1 Viewer)

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
This movie is great. Denzel and Morgan put in excellent performances. Mathew Broderick was ok, but maybe that's because I just couldn't imagine him with that weird mustache, commanding troops. The ending battle with the red white and blue cinematography was very good looking. Anyway, what does everyone think about this movie? Also, can anyone recommend me movies similar to this? I haven't see many civil war films.

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
I haven't see many civil war films.
Ride with the Devil starring Tobe Spiderman Mcquire and Jewel takes place in Kansas during the War and focuses on a group of Southern partisans.
Gettysburg is another recent Civil War film that attempts to accurately portray the events of the battle. Based on the novel The Killer Angels.
Gods and Generals is wrapping up or has wrapped up shooting and should be released soon. It focuses on the war years leading up to Gettysburg.
Todd

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Glory is my #1 favorite movie of all time. I'm not a Matthew Broderick fan, either. Glory not winning Best Picture was one of the great travesties of the PC era.

Gettysburg and Ride With The Devil (directed by Ang Lee, the most versatile director working today!) are both excellent, although Gettysburg is a pure war movie.

Gods And Generals was the sequel (actually prequel, I think) to The Killer Angels, written by the son of the author of KA. The Killer Angels is a great book, and Gettysburg is a great adaptation. I haven't read Gods And Generals, but I've heard that it isn't so good.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Loved GLORY and think Matthew B. pulled off the role of a rich kid put into a position he couldn't forsee.

Glory is a great film. Pure and simple. I thought Matthew did a good job with his role. He is a better actor than he is given credit for in my opinion. Denzel and Morgan both gave excellent performances and I agree that the film itself should have gotten the oscar.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Aaron,
Do you mean that "Driving Miss Daisy" didn't deserve it's Best Picture AA that year?;) By the way, this great film should have at least been nominated for Best Picture, but it wasn't. However, it did receive AA's for Best Supporting Actor, Cinematography, and Sound. Furthermore, "Do the Right Thing" wasn't nominated either, but that's another thread subject. You got to love the Academy and just think about those griping about this years winners because of race.
  • My Left Foot
  • Born on the Fourth of July
  • Field of Dreams
  • Dead Poets Society
  • Driving Miss Daisy
Crawdaddy

DanaA

Screenwriter
I too love Glory and think it's one of the greatest war movies ever made. Didn't I hear somewhere that the actors, while filming the movie, actually camped and lived as would have been the case during the real Civil War to better put themselves into a proper frame of mind?

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
This is definitely one of my all time favorite war films. I agree with all of the previous posters about Denzel and Morgan's performances. I have 2 friends I have been after a year to borrow my dvd and check it out - I know they would love it! Didn't I hear that Ken Burn's documentary The Civil War is coming to dvd? That is definitely a purchase - great show.

Butch C

Second Unit
I just have to mention my Top 10 film as a partial Civil War tie-in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Others worth checking out:
The General - classic silent comedy with Buster Keaton, but surprisingly epic Civil War battle scenes
Shenendoah
Gone With The Wind - the gold standard of Civil War films (though IMO, not nearly as watchable as Glory)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Glory makes my Top Ten Favorite Movies of All Time. My history teacher (who I shall say with pride is Gene Davis of Pikeville, Kentucky) showed us this movie. Keep in mind that my U.S. history class had all sorts of characters in it. Needless to say, everybody loved it. I almost cried at the end. :b
It's the farthest thing from a date movie, but from the general consensus I get, it's for everybody.
Concerning Matthew Broderick
- My history teacher also showed a picture of Colonel Shaw. Boy does Matthew look like him.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Man, you guys inspired me! I'm going to rent this movie this weekend and check it out (I've never seen it).

-Marshall

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Enjoy, Marshall!
The first time I saw Glory in the theater, the audience (a full house) sat in stunned silence throughout the entire credits. Talk about powerful!
Crawdaddy, that list of nominees contains not one film in the same league as Glory! (Or Monkeybone. . .;) )

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Damnit!!! I just went to Netflix to put this baby in my queue and it looks like they only carry it in full-screen.:angry: :angry: :angry:

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, I don't have Netflix, but if I am not mistaken, there never was a "pan and scan only" version of Glory. I haven't seen the first edition DVD, but I am pretty sure it was widescreen. I own the special edition 2-disc set, which includes both widescreen and pan and scan presentations of the film on separate discs.
The pan and scan disc went straight to the garbage can. ;)

GregK

Screenwriter
The original DVD release of Glory had a widescreen and a pan-n-scan version. Each had it's own side.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
I personally find this a quite good film, but one which unfortunately missed most of its opportunities. Perhaps it is only because the man portrayed is less known in common knowledge circles, but I find it interesting that the criticisms leveled at A Beautiful Mind for sanitizing its main character do not also find a deserving target in this film; in how it willfully skirts Gould Shaw's own racial prejudices in order to ostensibly cast him as a vanilla, heroic "crusader" palatable for today's hypersensitive, politically-correct audience. Perhaps the most profound and compelling drama to be told in the story of the Massachusetts 54th--the evolution of Gould Shaw from obliviously prejudiced officer to respecting, compassionate leader--was undermined by this premeditated sacrifice of character honesty for dubious motives. I would be willing to bet that, had this film been made in the 70's, a more truthful, and therefore more telling, portrait of people and places involved would have resulted.
However, for this viewer, the cinematography, staging, and Morgan Freeman linger in the memory; as does the James Horner music brazenly plagiarized from Prokofiev.

Brian E

Screenwriter
I haven't read Gods And Generals, but I've heard that it isn't so good.
I thought it was pretty good. It takes place from right before the war starts until just before Gettysburg. AFAIK the movie is set for a fall/winter release. They will also be doing The Last Full Measure which was also written by Shaara's son as a sequel to Gettysburg (takes you from right after Gettysburg through the end of the war).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks