What's new

I am done with reality tv. (1 Viewer)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I'll still watch Amazing Race and Survivor. We've watched Top Chef in the past and liked it. Never cared for the singing and dancing competition shows.

I watched the first episode of Utopia and pretty much hated everybody.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
It's never a good idea to dismiss an entire genre. Reality TV, like game shows and cop shows, has produced some brilliant television and some horrible television.

I've been watching Survivor since season 2, and still find it fascinating, particularly when it's played by someone who gets it - Boston Rob, Parvati, Penner, etc. Yes, there is deceit and manipulation involved, but it's certainly no worse than anything that goes on in middle management at any corporation. I also think Amazing Race and Master Chef have an educational component that contributes to their entertainment value, something that you don't see in garbage like 'Big Brother.'

'So You Think You Can Dance' is a showcase for extraordinary dancing and choreography. That's something we need more of on TV, not less.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I never got the attraction of these shows, especially the Survivor/Amazing Race type shows. I tried way back when they started and saw absolutely nothing worth while there. None of these people were the least bit interesting, nor where their motives the least bit engaging. All those Real World/Big Brother type shows also never interested me. I tried watching The Real World (which predates all these other reality shows by years), way back in the day and thought to myself "there is nothing real about any of these people". And that was a time when I was close to the age of most of those people - except I was a college graduate, had a job and lived on my own.

That, of course then translates to all the "Kardasian" and Real Housewives shows. Again - nothing is relatable about anything that happens. I've seen some of the Housewives shows because my wife likes the Orange County and NY ones only. I just find all their "problems" that causes so much "drama" to be so superficial, that I just get annoyed and begin to truly wish these people could live my life - then I'd like to see how they'd act. Rich Kids of Beverly Hills? Right. Since when is mid-20s considered "Kids"? (I'm getting into my late 40s and still don't consider mid-20s as "kids"... sorry E!).

The only such shows I do like are Top Chef and Project Runway. That's right... Project Runway. My wife is the bigger fan, but I'll sit and watch that. The reason is the whole design aspect. I'm an architect, so seeing the contestants work through the design process is very similar to what we do in studio both while in college and at work. Totally different end product, but the process is similar and actually relatable to me.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
McPaul said:
Aaron, are you referring to The Quest? I'm not familiar with Game of Thrones, but it's a medieval reality show. I watched a few episodes of that too but just forgot to mention. I really liked the idea, but it wasn't a strong show. they tried to do too much at once between reality conflict and medieval fantasy, and that's where it failed. imo

The first episode was awesome, I must say, as I thought the concept had so much potential. But no.

It was on Thursdays' but the finale was last week.
Yeah, I think that's it. They were probably re-running episodes on Sundays.

I used to love The Apprentice back in the first few seasons, when they took it relatively seriously and the contestants had interesting tasks to perform. Even some of the Celebrity Apprentice shows were good.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
McPaul said:
Amazing Race Canada - Same. Plus there are some parts of this country I have no interest in seeing. (Toronto?) and (anywhere that speaks french?) Plus the one off trips to Hong Kong and Paris were simply bizarre. You're amazing race! Go around the world already!!
While I did not mind watching the 1st season, it felt more along the lines of Family Edition than what the race should have been. Can't imagine the disappointment for the intended audience and racers themselves, who hoped to go around the world, since they are not eligible to be in the US edition. Still, I thought the 1st season did have a nice story in the end (being vague, so not to post spoilers ;) )

I have not watched this season yet, but it sounds like more of the same. Those one-off trips don't seem too challenging, in terms of the language barrier.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Walter C said:
While I did not mind watching the 1st season, it felt more along the lines of Family Edition than what the race should have been. Can't imagine the disappointment for the intended audience and racers themselves, who hoped to go around the world, since they are not eligible to be in the US edition. Still, I thought the 1st season did have a nice story in the end (being vague, so not to post spoilers ;) )

I have not watched this season yet, but it sounds like more of the same. Those one-off trips don't seem too challenging, in terms of the language barrier.
The only thing I recall about TARCanada 1 was they seemed to go out of their way to find extremes in casting. It seemed like every single team was either gay, handicapped, extreme personalities... I don't remember anyone at all from TARCanada 1 but I do remember that specifically.

and there are no spoilers for a one year old show. Citizen Kane was the kid's sled.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I remember a few teams (like the Tims and the doctors), and a few others if I tried hard enough. I mainly remember for the locations, seeing more parts of Canada, and thinking how the US edition will never end up visiting those places in the regular format. And I did like Jon Montgomery as host, one of the better ones in the TAR franchise

I can only assume the Hong Kong leg will be a replica of the Vancouver leg in Chinatown. If that was the case, it would be horribly disappointing.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I thought the bits out of the country were the best parts of the show. Although I am partial to anything shot in Vancouver, or bc in general. But you're right. Chinatown in Vancouver could have been done so much better than they did in season 1

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Joel Fontenot said:
That, of course then translates to all the "Kardasian" and Real Housewives shows. Again - nothing is relatable about anything that happens. I've seen some of the Housewives shows because my wife likes the Orange County and NY ones only. I just find all their "problems" that causes so much "drama" to be so superficial, that I just get annoyed and begin to truly wish these people could live my life - then I'd like to see how they'd act. Rich Kids of Beverly Hills? Right. Since when is mid-20s considered "Kids"? (I'm getting into my late 40s and still don't consider mid-20s as "kids"... sorry E!).

The only such shows I do like are Top Chef and Project Runway. That's right... Project Runway. My wife is the bigger fan, but I'll sit and watch that. The reason is the whole design aspect. I'm an architect, so seeing the contestants work through the design process is very similar to what we do in studio both while in college and at work. Totally different end product, but the process is similar and actually relatable to me.
Project Runway? Ouch, that show is awful, but obviously has a following as it keeps on going.

The Amazing Race is the only one I consistently watch, Survivor occasionally. The last time Survivor had a decent winner was when the fireman Tom won, otherwise it's really pretty bad. I'll give it a few weeks this time, but will easily bail if it doesn't click really fast.Never seen a Kardashian show, absolutely refuse. Also the same with any of the Real Housewives. Just the promos are enough to turn me off to ever watching those. They all look like Barbie doll clones. Hair extensions, plastic surgery, so much artifice they're beyond believability.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm just bumping this thread, as I don't suspect my question necessarily warrants one.

On a website that indicates the renewal/cancellation status of TV shows, I noticed that THE BIGGEST LOSER is listed as "Officially Renewed," and yet, there seems to be zero information about this, otherwise! Even the show's Wikipedia page lists its current status along that line as unknown.

This list, which I'm unable to link up on my android, is current, and the listing from what I can tell, is otherwise accurate, which for me, makes the above a real puzzler!

Perhaps somebody can shed further light on the status of a show that hasn't had a new season in well over a year, and yet some site has pegged as Officially Renewed?

CHEERS! :)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'm just bumping this thread, as I don't suspect my question necessarily warrants one.

On a website that indicates the renewal/cancellation status of TV shows, I noticed that THE BIGGEST LOSER is listed as "Officially Renewed," and yet, there seems to be zero information about this, otherwise! Even the show's Wikipedia page lists its current status along that line as unknown.

This list, which I'm unable to link up on my android, is current, and the listing from what I can tell, is otherwise accurate, which for me, makes the above a real puzzler!

Perhaps somebody can shed further light on the status of a show that hasn't had a new season in well over a year, and yet some site has pegged as Officially Renewed?

All I can find is the release date is "To be announced". It will be season 18 if it does come back. This definitely slipped off my radar, haven't seen it in years, yet I'll give it a try again. But who knows if it will be back or just quietly cancelled, everything seems pretty vague.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Biggest Loser had been doing okay still ratings-wise and had just been renewed by NBC when it received a spate of bad press having to do with tactics, drugs, etc.--plus one of the main stars, Bob Harper, had a heart attack.

See this article from a little more than a year ago for background.

My wife and I watched each season. Like with most reality shows, they kept straining the expectations and demands. Maybe with weight loss that's a combination for disaster.

The above article makes it appear as if my memory that ratings were still good might be faulty.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I totally get the whys and where to fores regarding why THE BIGGEST LOSER might not come back. It just seems so bizarre to me that its currently listed "Officially Renewed" status on tvline.com doesn't reflect that. It isn't as though other series haven't been updated repeatedly to accurately reflect their current status, and quite recently, at that! Why not THIS one?

THE BIGGEST LOSER is listed fourth from the top, as these Network lists are alphabetical. While these lists were originally assembled in October 2016, they've been updated as recently as May 2017:
http://tvline.com/2016/10/03/renewed-tv-shows-2017-renewal-scorecard-cancelled-series/4/

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The Biggest Loser had been doing okay still ratings-wise and had just been renewed by NBC when it received a spate of bad press having to do with tactics, drugs, etc.--plus one of the main stars, Bob Harper, had a heart attack.

See this article from a little more than a year ago for background.

My wife and I watched each season. Like with most reality shows, they kept straining the expectations and demands. Maybe with weight loss that's a combination for disaster.

The above article makes it appear as if my memory that ratings were still good might be faulty.

Never realized there was a drug issue with this show.

Knew Harper had the heart attack. Kind of surprising that somebody so fit and seemingly healthy could have a heart attack, but you never know what's lurking in your background.

With this much bad press, guessing this may not be returning.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Never realized there was a drug issue with this show.

Knew Harper had the heart attack. Kind of surprising that somebody so fit and seemingly healthy could have a heart attack, but you never know what's lurking in your background.

With this much bad press, guessing this may not be returning.
It's in his family, unfortunately. Apparently, his father had a heart attack at a similar age. That Bob Harper was so fit will probably shorten his recovery time, if that is of any consolation. Nevertheless, this could be another reason why no Season 18 announcements have been made. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
It's in his family, unfortunately. Apparently, his father had a heart attack at a similar age. That Bob Harper was so fit will probably shorten his recovery time, if that is of any consolation. Nevertheless, this could be another reason why no Season 18 announcements have been made. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

I was adopted, so no genetic history. In a way, I like it. No stressing out over what might happen, I'll never know. Other than some silly physical injuries, internally I'm doing fine.

Makes it really easy for doctor appointments, just waive the whole section on family history because there isn't one :unsure:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There was one really awkward moment a couple seasons ago involving the use of "supplements" by trainer Jillian Michaels that I continue to be surprised at (that they would have let the moment air rather than leave it on the cutting room floor).

Must've been the beginning of the end.

I don't think the show will be missed too much...but it WILL leave a void which someone else will likely fill before too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks