What's new

Hurricane Hilary arrives (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
For people in the SE, hurricanes are an annual annoyance. But now unusual Hurricane Hilary is hitting southern California and going up Nevada to Idaho. Where I live it's only going to be an inch or two of rain but apparently Death Valley NP is going to become a lake.

The outskirts of Hilary have arrived here in Boise this morning with wind and some rain. The eye is still off Baja: the size of the storm is incredible.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Hilary is so bizarre. The eye was set to bypass LA to the east but then turned due west. The eye is east of Reno now and scheduled to go right over Boise about noon MDT. We've had steady rain for hours now.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For people in the SE, hurricanes are an annual annoyance. But now unusual Hurricane Hilary is hitting southern California and going up Nevada to Idaho. Where I live it's only going to be an inch or two of rain but apparently Death Valley NP is going to become a lake.

The outskirts of Hilary have arrived here in Boise this morning with wind and some rain. The eye is still off Baja: the size of the storm is incredible.
I can't believe you were already having severe weather in Boise while the eye was only just crossing over from Baja. I'm in N. Colorado, and we're having zero effect from it. Actually, that seems to be largely due to the extreme heat (high pressure) we're having, which is keeping it more contained North to South. Plus, of course, the Rocky Mountains.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We got steady rain for much of the last 24 hours but the wind never got bad. The big storms we had in January were worse.
It really depends on how slow the storm moves, as a slow moving tropical storm can cause more issues that a fast moving hurricane. We had a tropical storm hit our area in SC a few years ago. It just sat over the area for a couple of days dropping torrential rain, and caused massive flooding. The hurricane that hit the area last year moved so fast that it was out of the area in a few hours. The high winds caused some minor damage, but not nearly as much as that tropical storm.

Hopefully everyone is safe.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
A tropical storm reaches Idaho, causing snowfall in August.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We received over 3 inches of rain in 24 hours from Hilary. That is a significant amount of rain for San Diego County (we live in the foothills).

Mark

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'll piggyback on here since at least it's Hurricane related

Monster Hurricane heading straight for one of the most at risk areas of Florida. I'm shocked that a Cat 3+ has never hit this particular area since records have been kept, but a very shallow ocean shelf so storm surge can be huge and this thing is organizing quickly and borderline Cat 3 and now expected to hit Cat 4 in the next few hrs before impact around dawn/early morning. Close to 15-20 foot surge in some areas is possible and much of this area in less than 20 feet about sea level for miles inland. It appears low tide is around 7am so some help but this isn't a huge tide rise anyway. The only saving grace I can see is this thing is moving pretty fast and not stalled like some recent storns.

When I lived in Florida in the mid 80's I spent a decent amt of time in Steinhatchee and Cedar Key in some old time fishing villages and restaurants that are 100+ yo and are dead in that north/northeastern quadrant. This wasn't one of the big tourist areas, but real true native Florida communtiesm working poor, lots of trailers and poorly built houses though not huge population groups. Tallahassee may take a big hit since the center appears to in the bullseye

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We probably should have a "Weather" thread to capture the different weather situations across the world. Anyhow, beginning today, the temps in Michigan are going up for a four-day period. Mid to high 80's today then a couple of days in the low 90's before cooling off again on Thursday as seasonal "Fall" weather starts to kick in here. I must say we had a pretty good summer here in Michigan. Unlike much of the USA, we only had small number of days in which the temperature was above 90 degrees. We had no 100-degree days that I know of. While much of the USA had several such days or at least in the mid-high 90's.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We probably should have a "Weather" thread to capture the different weather situations across the world. Anyhow, beginning today, the temps in Michigan are going up for a four-day period. Mid to high 80's today then a couple of days in the low 90's before cooling off again on Thursday as seasonal "Fall" weather starts to kick in here. I must say we had a pretty good summer here in Michigan. Unlike much of the USA, we only had small number of days in which the temperature was above 90 degrees. We had no 100-degree days that I know of. While much of the USA had several such days or at least in the mid-high 90's.
Yes, temperature-wise it's been a pretty decent summer here in Michigan. We did have a couple of very nasty storms here over a week ago, though. The 2nd one included a tornado that created a large path of damage from just east of Lansing all the way through the Downriver area and into SE Ontario, and passed right over our small town -- it touched down in the town just south of us. I went golfing a couple of days later, and there was still a great deal of flooding, downed trees, power outages and closed roads. I somehow got a piece of a debris from a tree in the inner sidewall of my rear tire on the drive to the golf course. The tire was losing air quickly on the drive, and was completely flat when my golf round was over. Had to put the donut spare on and drive the back roads home, so I saw the path of destruction in full. All of that on our 34th wedding anniversary!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, temperature-wise it's been a pretty decent summer here in Michigan. We did have a couple of very nasty storms here over a week ago, though. The 2nd one included a tornado that created a large path of damage from just east of Lansing all the way through the Downriver area and into SE Ontario, and passed right over our small town -- it touched down in the town just south of us. I went golfing a couple of days later, and there was still a great deal of flooding, downed trees, power outages and closed roads. I somehow got a piece of a debris from a tree in the inner sidewall of my rear tire on the drive to the golf course. The tire was losing air quickly on the drive, and was completely flat when my golf round was over. Had to put the donut spare on and drive the back roads home, so I saw the path of destruction in full. All of that on our 34th wedding anniversary!
Storms-wise many other states had it way worse than Michigan this summer.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Storms-wise many other states had it way worse than Michigan this summer.
Definitely.

Our place in South Carolina came through the first hurricane of the season (Idalia) with no issues. However, a couple of months ago our condo complex was hit by lightening, causing some damage. We had friends check our place, and so far it appears that we have just lost the 65-inch TV in the living room. They couldn't test the soundbar or Roku unit attached. All the really expensive stuff (heat pump, water heater, kitchen appliances, etc.) and the TVs in the bedrooms were undamaged, fortunately. So, I will be buying a new TV when we get back down there next month.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Was your set on a surge protector power strip? The MOV varistor sacrifices itself to save attached appliances: with voltage spikes it shorts out throwing the breaker on the power strip. Have them check the power strip first.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I only started this thread because Hilary was so unusual, going up past LA and all the way to Idaho.
I understood why you started this thread. I just think a general weather thread would be a good idea for people to talk about weather issues in their particular area.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, having a generalized weather thread doesn't mean another thread can't be started for a specific weather situation like a hurricane, tornado or winter storm situation. Also, the generalized weather thread can be used to report how wonderful the weather is in your area like Ferris Bueller stated as to why he was skipping school.:)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Was your set on a surge protector power strip? The MOV varistor sacrifices itself to save attached appliances: with voltage spikes it shorts out throwing the breaker on the power strip. Have them check the power strip first.
No, unfortunately. The TV is wall mounted, with an electrical plug hidden directly behind the display. I will double check everything myself when we get down there, but am already researching new displays in anticipation of the existing display being dead.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No storms to report yet. However, it's going to be 55 degrees in mid-Michigan on Christmas Day. Furthermore, there's a good chance that we won't have any snow accumulation during the entire month of December.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks