What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Hugo, based on Brian Selznick’s The Invention of Hugo Cabret, is a delightful movie experience; a tale of loss, love, meaning and purpose all disposed to lovingly reflect on the magic and wonder of cinema and the journey of finding one’s way. It is a testament to Martin Scorsese that Hugo–a significant departure of story and approach for him–is such a stimulating success. With performances that delight and engender enchantment, this ode to film is a beautifully crafted example of the skill of all creative souls involved, from Scorsese’s directorial prowess, Howard Shore’s lush and playful score, cinematography by the gifted Robert Richardson, Production Design by Dante Ferretti, and a host of other talents. Hugo is why we go to the movies; to be enthralled and engrossed in the lives of others and the wonder and magic that only film can bring.

Hugo (2011)

Released: 23 Nov 2011
Rated: PG
Runtime: 126 min...

Continue reading...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Neil I really appreciate that you took the time to compare the Arrow 3D to the Paramount 3D since that was my big question on this release!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
3D effects in film literally don't work for me. It's not a matter of taste. I don't see any discernible extra depth. The image is just darker and I end up with a headache. So, while I don't want to rain on anyone else's parade and am happy for others to enjoy this kind of presentation, for me personally in my situation it is a completely useless technology. So I have only ever seen Hugo in 2D. Sometimes -- Avatar comes to mind -- I'm not really interested in the story that is being told and I feel like I am missing something because I can't see the 3D. This has never been the case with Hugo which I love.

I believe the 3D fans here that watching it in 3D is additive to your experience and that's great. But the story, characters, and filmmaking is strong enough for me to feel completely immersed in it even without the 3D effect, which is how it should be. Even Paramount's 2D Blu-ray looks phenomenal to me.

Thank you for your efforts reviewing this, Neil. I've spent a lot on other things recently, so this won't be an immediate purchase. But I'm definitely considering a double dip down the line in order to get some of those new bonus features.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have said this in previous threads, but I'll say again for the record that I thought Hugo was the best picture of its year and should have won that year's Best Picture Oscar. It is the most impressive and most thoughtful use of 3D of any 21st century picture that I've seen. Thank you, Neil, for such a thorough and expert critique of this package.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Wonderful review and discussion of 3-D, Neil. Thank you. Hugo is the type of film that makes 3-D relevant and interesting, adding an extra layer to the story-telling.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, a wonderful review. Because of this review, I have to set a day aside to watch not only the 4K/UHD, but also the 3-D Blu-rays as I have the previous 2012 LE 3-D Blu-ray release. I first watched this movie in 3-D during its theatrical run. I watched the 2012 3-D Blu-ray when it was first released. However, I have never revisited the 3-D presentation again so this will be my first viewings on my LG OLED. I'm looking forward to scheduling a special day for just this particular movie.

KenInNY

Auditioning
Real Name
Kenneth
Yes, Neil, spectacular review -- of a spectacular movie. I first saw HUGO, in 3D, at the Museum of the Moving Image, presented magically by Brian Selznick, who wrote the wonderful book it's based on, and loves all the amazing things Scorsese did with it, both adapting and expanding it. (The material could have been tailor-made for him -- not least the terrible solitude of young Hugo, which apparenty tapped into his feelings about his own childhood.)

I was so blown away by the film that I went back for a repeat screening, when the 3D setup wasn't working, and after a long delay the museum, in addition to refunding everyone's tickets, invited everyone to stay for a 2D screening. It was still a stupendous movie, but my goodness, what life Scorsese added -- a whole extra dimension, one might say -- with his meticulous staging of the 3D space, which he and his team on both sides of the camera treated as an opportunity to fill out the vividly detailed realities they had imagined for each scene.

I don't have 3D TV, but have long wished I could just for HUGO.

Jeff Heise

Grip
Real Name
Jeffry Heise
IMHO, the finest use of 3D ever, and with the one niggling exception of a scene where the film goes through the projector the wrong way, the most accurate depiction of film history, but what do you expect from Scorsese? This film touched me so much I was in tears when I got to my car.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
IMHO Life of Pi has it all for my 3D experience. Hugo is a great film and even though many of the 3D techniques used are taken directly from Hithcock’s Dial M for Murder- stationary camera setups in interiors optimally constructed for 3D. Then it literally comes alive in certain scenes which is magical. But Life of Pi is much more innovative IMHO and the 3D is consistent throughout. Either way I love both.
Great review Neil.
I’ve read elsewhere that some crosstalk issues on the original Paramnout 3D disc have been fixed. If anyone has a chance to compare please comment. And I wish Warners would outsource and someone redo Warners’ Polar Express which needs its 3D fixed.

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
Totally agree with the assessment of Neil’s well written review. The 3D image is stunning viewed with my Benq X3000i. For those readers who are still on the fence about going with projection, it isn’t as hard or expensive as you think. The reward Is a theatrical experience that can rival or beat your local multiplex cinema. I guess it should be no surprise that a master film maker like Mr. Scorsese would deliver the best modern era 3D movie.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Wonderful review, Neil. I was about to put up my own, as I just added the 4k to my library. But no need. You’ve said it all, and beautifully. Who is this Melies dude. Ever do anything notable?

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Sigh.... wonderful review. When I went with a Sony OLED four years ago I gave up 3-D which I had on a Panasonic plasma. Projectors are not possible here unfortunately. I do still own the HUGO 3-D disc and was lucky enough to see it in a theater. Not sure if and when new displays will be manufactured for 3-D. The only semi-hopeful thing is a recent note that there is now an enhanced anaglyph process in the works. Not sure if will match the active glasses used with the plasma tv. For my money the two best 3-D films are HUGO and KISS ME KATE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks