What's new

HTPC...all PC, or PC blended with HT? (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I'm curious to know what peoples' definitios are of "HTPC". Do you see it as an all-PC system, that is to say everything is part of the computer system. Any HTPC starts, obviously, with a DVD drive and a sound card. But do you display the movie on a PC monitor and output the sound to a PC speaker system? Or do you see an HTPC as using the PC just for the source, basically, that meshes with a regular HT system for sound/video. You use the video card's TV output to connect to a TV or HDTV, and you use the sound card's digital outputs to connect to a HT receiver or signal processor, eventually going through your regular amps and speakers.
------------------
-Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
swouttakes.jpg

Join the JJR512.com Genome@home Team and help cure what ails you. (Click here for more info.)
Contact me: [email protected] | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

Gary King

Second Unit
Definitely a PC as part of a home theater system. That's why it's called an HTPC and not just a PC.
Also, I think any true HTPC should utilize a high-resolution output (VGA, HD component), and not just an S-Video output.

JohanK

Second Unit
I see a HTPC as a combo scaler/DVD player. It is used exclusively for displaying movies/video sources on a large display and has been built/bought specifically for such a purpose (i.e. digital out to audio setup using DD/DTS pass through to outboard processor and video out to the display using the VGA output of a quality video card). This is how I use my HTPC; for other uses, I have a PC.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks