What's new

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
MAN IN THE DARK... amazing 3D. Incredible depth and tons of in-your-face pop-out. This needs to rocket to the top of the list.
I have it in my hands.

Going to watch it on Sunday. If it impresses me as much as you, then you can
bet it will be on the list.

Thanks for letting me know. Always looking for the next best thing in 3D, so keep
the suggestions coming.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The next best thing in 3D? February 25...a little film called Gravity which should shoot to #1 on this list. Just saw it again today. So spectacular. Can't wait to own it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I hope to be able to provide an advanced review of "Gravity."So, yes, I expect that's going to be a spectacular 3D Blu-ray.

Haven't seen the film yet so looking forward to its Blu-ray debut.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ron, Gravity is back in theaters in your area. Not too late to see it the way it should be seen.....on the biggest screen possible. I know you don't go to the theater much anymore but if there was ever a film to make an exception for, Gravity is that film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jeffrey,

I posted my views in the official review thread started by Matt Hough.

The depth is quite amazing. One of the best levels of depth I have seen
on any classic 3D release.

However, was disappointed by the "In Yo' Face" factor. There were numerous
attempts to do it (most memorably with surgical tools and a gun), but instead of
actually coming out of the screen towards the viewer, it became very blurred.

Definitely not on par with House of Wax, which had much more prominent
pop-out without blur.

That being said, I thought it was an exceptional 3D title for depth alone, though
the story itself was nothing special. The transfer was absolutely immaculate.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Ronald Epstein said:
However, was disappointed by the "In Yo' Face" factor. There were numerous
attempts to do it (most memorably with surgical tools and a gun), but instead of
actually coming out of the screen towards the viewer, it became very blurred.
Think Man In The Dark 3D is another example of being "the victim" of the type of display the 3D is viewed upon.
When the scene is viewed with discrete 3D technology the "in Yo' Face" instruments are actually quite sharp and clear until they almost touch your eye, which would also look blurry in real-life if one were the patient and actually looking at them when on the surgical table.
Another factor would be the extreme focusing requirements of the eyes, which would also be the same case in a real-life experience.
Hopefully if it is a display 3D issue it should be resolved when viewed on next generation auto-stereoscopic displays, which should also improve any ghosting concerns.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hopefully if it is a display 3D issue it should be resolved when viewed on next generation of auto-stereoscopic displays, which should also improve any ghosting concerns.
Paul,

Not necessarily arguing with you, but I am kind of surprised to read that.

I just bought a new Samsung display. It is their 2014 flagship model, the F8500.

Now, it should be a 3rd generation 3D display. The LG that Samsung replaces was
a first generation. When I got it 3+ years ago, I was told that it would take 2 more
years for the display manufacturers to perfect the technology.

I can tell you without hesitation that the 3D on the Samsung is vastly superior to
the older LG display. In fact, it's superior to the current flagship plasma that Panasonic
is offering, the ZT60 (as I had that display for a few weeks).

In all cases where the LG and Panasonic exhibited ghosting, there was none to be
seen on the Samsung.

So, the point I am making, is that I *believe* that 3D technology has been refined as
far as it can be with new 2013/2014 displays. The next step is glasses-free displays,
but having seen them --- they are a step down from what is currently available.

Now, the argument *could° be made between active shutter and passive 3D. Perhaps
the passive technology handles the "In Yo' Face" images better. On the other hand, I
have been pretty happy with the results I have gotten on other discs outside of Man In
The Dark.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Ronald Epstein said:
So, the point I am making, is that I *believe* that 3D technology has been refined as
far as it can be with new 2013/2014 displays. The next step is glasses-free displays,
but having seen them --- they are a step down from what is currently available.

Now, the argument *could° be made between active shutter and passive 3D. Perhaps
the passive technology handles the "In Yo' Face" images better. On the other hand, I
have been pretty happy with the results I have gotten on other discs outside of Man In
The Dark.
Ron,

Agreed, with the hope of potential improvement.

Haven't experienced high-quality 1080P passive direct-view, but also hope it eradicates this kind of 3D negative-plane issue.

What I can verify on the Blu-ray 3D disc is that in this particular surgical negative-plane scene, both L&R images presented are sharp, pristine and in-focus until only the blunt ends of the instruments are deliberately blurring at closest points, when viewing separately or when viewing discretely together.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Passive 3D is half resolution and has it's own issues, if you want perfect 3D then buy a DLP projector, the only way to get full 1080p is projection as the DLP rear projection sets are also not full resolution.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I know, Malcolm. I have heard that argument for DLP countless times....

....and you are right.....

....it's just that DLP is an old technology.

....older than Plasma, I am guessing, which is old enough and probably on the way out.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
I know, Malcolm. I have heard that argument for DLP countless times....

....and you are right.....

....it's just that DLP is an old technology.

....older than Plasma, I am guessing, which is old enough and probably on the way out.
For television it is no longer viable but for projection technology it is still good especially if you like 3D and don't mind cinema level contrast levels, that means 2000:1 contrast figures compared to around 6000:1 for good LCD and 18000:1 and higher for JVC LCoS projectors, most people now want superior black levels as seen on JVC projectors but some are willing to accept lower contrast levels because DLP actually does everything else better except contrast, ansi contrast is superior on DLP though, intra-scene can be superb with DLP projectors and that makes up a lot for overall poorer black levels, i suppose it's like plasma, compare an LG to a Panasonic or latest Samsung, black levels on the LG are poorer but you still have plasma quality.

Of course if you are rich enough you can buy a Sim Lumis DLP and get around 18000:1 contrast, most people go for the one chip DLP solution for superior 3D and black levels are very good due to the glasses, it's only 2D where it suffers slightly compared to the competition although like i say above, if 2000:1 contrast level is good enough for the cinema then maybe it's good enough for the home, i could live with it.

The problem is that T.I. have not improved DLP for many years now, the improvements instead come from projector manufacturers adding special coatings to their lenses and improving the optical light path, that should change soon though, we need a Dark Chip 5 for the high end and Dark Chip 4 needs to come down in price so that lower end DLP projectors can make use of it, with Dark Chip 4 such projectors would compete well with the current tech, indeed DLP with Dark Chip 4 would be great, much better contrast and everything else would be better than the competing tech.

Texas Instruments are making 4K DLP chips and 4K DLP should see a massive improvement in contrast levels, hopefully the prices will be good enough for the lower end as well as the higher end, maybe not at first but it should eventually happen, there should be more news later this year on that but i'd certainly consider a Benq W7500 projection setup or maybe even the Optoma HD91 LED if it can go bright enough, the jury is still out on the latter.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
In yo' face is not impossible with glasses-free displays; I was mucking about with my son's 3DS XL a couple of days ago, watching a Mega Man mini movie done in anime style. The depth was exceptional, and many parts of the film seemed to float several mm above the screen plane. There were also several instances of push-out, all expertly handled and creating a real sense of physical presence; not merely cardboard cut-out effects. Now, if this effect can somehow be transplanted to glasses-free HT displays, I'm there.

On the DLP front, DLP may be old technology, but it's a technology that continues to be refined and improved beyond what was possible in its infancy, whereas LCD seems to have hit the wall, and OLED is in its infancy. DLP is also robust, which goes a long way to explaining why it's still around.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am set to meet with Dolby in NYC next week to look at their latest
generation of glasses-free displays. I'm not going in with high expectations
after the initial look I had nearly two years ago.

However, hopefully, the technology has greatly improved.

I am not convinced pop-out can be done nearly as effectively on glasses-free
displays as it can on current displays.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
I am set to meet with Dolby in NYC next week to look at their latest
generation of glasses-free displays. I'm not going in with high expectations
after the initial look I had nearly two years ago.

However, hopefully, the technology has greatly improved.

I am not convinced pop-out can be done nearly as effectively on glasses-free
displays as it can on current displays.
Take in A Turtles Tale and ask them to show it on the display or the sequel since they might be using a locked blu ray player.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Malcom, that's a good idea. I'll bring UNDER THE SEA as well.

I doubt they will let me play the discs....but I will bring them.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
The Man in the Dark "in yo' face" 3D effects (surgical instruments, cigar, etc.) are not blurred when viewed on my Sharp XV-Z30000 DLP projector.

IMHO, the Sharp 30k has the most perfect combination of active shutter glasses and ghost free/flicker free 3D projection technology that I've ever seen. I've yet to be disappointed with any quality 3D transfer.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Sorry to hear about the blurring on your display Ron; the in-your-face stuff in MAN IN THE DARK looks nice and sharp on my Samsung UN55C8000 from 2010, which uses the first-generation shutter method. The surgery scene just about poked my eyes out!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Maybe check cinema smooth is on in 3D, that outputs 24hz blu ray as 96hz on plasma, it's the correct one for blu ray and results in smoother motion, with it switched off you will get 3:2 pulldown and movies will be 60hz, it's probably a setting somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks